All Through the Night: A Troubleshooter…

All Through the Night: A Troubleshooter Christmas

Authors:Suzanne Brockmann
Info:
Collections:Have read, Your library, ebook, series, 2013
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, jules, robin, dolphina, will, adam, troubleshooters, wedding, stalker, reporters, gay, christmas, navy SEALs, fbi, actors, romance, thriller, suspense, military, navy, jules cassidy, robin chadwick, jules and robin, re-read, 2013., lgbt

All Through the Night: A Troubleshooter Christmas by Suzanne Brockmann

Good, solid, very romantic story. The fact that the lead couple are both male doesn't detract from it in the least. There's nothing explicit - (much) less than most of the Harlequins I've read recently - lots of kissing (viewed from the outside - we don't get into the characters' heads much), and a few "Ah!"s. You know what's going on, but there's no detail. Note that this applies to the main couple, the older romance (the couple now married, but making a few adjustments), the new romance, and several small hints of future ones - normal for a Brockmann Troubleshooters novel. And most of these pairings are hetero - besides Jules and Robin, there's only one possible-future-romance-hint that's M/M. I love this - Jules and Robin are one of many pairs, not weird or unique, just making their personal adjustments to becoming truly a couple. It's pretty much a settled romance - that is, almost the first scene is the marriage proposal - but what they go through on the way to their wedding makes for an excellent, rich story. Some of Jules' partners don't trust Robin (he's a recovering alcoholic); some of Robin's friends aren't any too sure about Jules and his friends. An ex (of both of them) is causing trouble...except it turns out it's not entirely him, and ends with a shootout with a deranged man. And that's not to mention the reporter who crashes their bachelor party, and turns out to be helpful when Jules and some of his team are pinned down in Afghanistan (oh, did I mention Jules is an active-duty SEAL through all this?), or Jules and Robin's individual misgivings about their marriage (mostly "I am not worthy", but better done than most). For those who've been reading Troubleshooters from the beginning, this is more of a "Well, finally!" than a surprise - Jules came out in the second or third book, and met Robin two or three after that. I've been more skimming the series, and need to go back and build up the background - but I know and like these people already. And they are people - no cardboard here. The story is just a trifle dated (I hope) - there's a bit of focus on them having to live in Massachusetts because that's the only place where their marriage is recognized. Not true at the moment, and I hope it stays that way - but because of current events, every mention of the matter threw me out of the story a little. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 10, 2017 |
I love the series and these two characters therefore this was one of my favorite books. Be aware before you start - the book is about a very controversial subject and might be offensive to some people. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
This book gave me what I've wanted for so long: an adult M/M with no sex. It wasn't about all the sex these men have or want to have. It was about how much they love each other and the importance of getting to cement that love and commitment through marriage.

Now, of course, my evil, cynical brain can't help but wonder if the lack of sex was because Ballantine only gave Brockmann so much latitude with this book. Big Six publishers aren't really known for their support of LGBT romance. I truly hope this was an authorial choice on Brockmann's part and not an "Ew, yucky, gay sex!" edict from the publisher because I did love the fabulous balance of their relationship in this book. To really feel that they loved each other and not just having sex with each other. They gave me so many heart flutters and smiles. Happy sigh.

With one or two exceptions I loved all the characters in this book. The dialogue, especially between Robin an Jules, was fun and funny. The friends that surrounded them were great, often sweet, with fantastic camaraderie and such abundant love and support for each other. Jules and Sam's nicknames for each other killed me. I loved it. What's terribly embarrassing is that it took me 209 pages to realize why Sam gave Robin the nickname he did. Epic facepalm. Although it took Robin longer, which was hilarious.

There was a lot of plot in this book even though it manages to be shorter than the other books in the series. There's a crisis in Afghanistan, an asshole journalist, an interfering ex-boyfriend, a stalker with a gun, homophobic father, a security risk friend, a burgeoning "love" between the asshole journalist and personal assistant, and more! Technically, it was too much. But I (mostly) really enjoyed reading everything so I didn't have too much of a problem with it.

Where I did have a big problem was all the POV jumping. This was supposed to be Robin and Jules's story but we spent so much time in other characters' heads. I was particularly annoyed with how much we were in Will Schroeder's POV, the jackass journalist. (God, I hate journalists. Every time.) I didn't mind Dolphina (or any of the other characters) as much, but overall, I just wanted to be back with Robin or Jules. There were some scenes where they would leave and I wanted to follow them and read what they were saying to each other rather than stay with whoever we were following at the time. There were other scenes where Robin or Jules was there the entire time yet we weren't in either POV. Why? I wanted to know what they were thinking or feeling. Are the other books in the series like this, or was it just them?

I'll see, because I'm going to read the series from the beginning. While this isn't really a standalone book, I didn't feel too lost reading it, just that I was missing out on other great stories/characters and the whole big picture. So I'll have a better handle on my feelings the second time I come to this book. This is the first Suzanne Brockmann I've read so I don't have the background to know whether or not things I've questioned are really an issue. Still, I love that Brockmann dedicated a book in her series to a non-standard couple. I'm having very big issues with romance authors creating minority characters as a superficial show of diversity and then bending over backward to create standard characters to continue the series. So everything else aside, she gets major points for not playing it that way (clearly this isn't the only book where she does this. That makes me happy).

Even with my slight cynicism and all the head hopping, I really liked this book. I enjoyed reading it a great deal and highly recommend it to everyone, especially M/M readers. ( )
  OstensiblyA1 | Sep 20, 2013 |
I've re-read all the books that Suzanne Brockmann was written (yeah, I like her that much) and this is the one that always brings a tear to my eyes.
I love Jules and Robin, I love the way Suzanne writes about true friendship and heartbreaking and family. I admire even more the way she stands up and writes about a touchy subject: gay marriage.
This is a book full of happy endings, of courage and love. ( )
  Lost_Lenore | May 22, 2013 |
Yay!! Jules and Robin get their very own book...though they do share it with Dolphina and Will and only slightly with Adam and Tony. Strong characters, great plot, the right kind of edge for a holiday book. If you are a Jules and Robin fan, you won't be disappointed. ( )
  lesmel | May 19, 2013 |

Suzanne Brockmannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holland, MichaelReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Becker, Royce M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCartney, BiaoccoCover Photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tinati, ShirinAuthor Photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And then, once again, I can dream, I've the night...
--Cole Porter, "All Through the Night"
Jules Cassidey was nervous.

It’s Christmastime in Boston, and this year the silver bells will be wedding bells as FBI agent Jules Cassidy ties the knot with the man of his dreams, Hollywood heartthrob Robin Chadwick.

The pair plan a quiet, intimate ceremony, to be witnessed by family and close friends from the FBI, SEAL Team Sixteen, and Troubleshooters, Incorporated, including Sam Starrett and Alyssa Locke. But the holiday season brings more to the happy couple than they expect.

A waterfall coming through their kitchen ceiling, a bat colony in the attic, old family tensions . . . even an international incident can’t dampen their spirits. But add to that a parade of unexpected guests, including a reporter looking for a scoop, an ex-lover hell-bent on causing trouble, and a dangerous stalker, and suddenly the wedding is poised to unravel in chaos.

But nothing will stop Jules and Robin from getting their happy ending, because along with a guest list featuring the most elite counterterrorism force in the world, they have their own secret weapon–true love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

An insane celebrity stalker believes Jules, Robin and their mutual ex, Adam, need to be eliminated.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,281,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible