Home Land by Sam Lipsyte

Home Land

by Sam Lipsyte

Every high school reunion in America should have at least one ruthlessly honest chronicler like Lewis Miner in Sam Lipsyte's "Home Land." Lipsyte is just about my favorite writer going these days. I don't know how I missed him in 2004, when this book came out. Oh wait... now I remember... books this good, and this subversive, are generally ignored by the mainstream media. I'm so glad that Lipsyte persevered and "The Ask" got him some of the attention that he deserves. ( )
  DerekSwannson | May 16, 2014 |
What a great writer. This one shows the promise that comes to fruition in The Ask. The language alone is compelling enough to make this a great read. The characters are hilarious and well drawn. And Lipsyte seems to have a way of drawing the reader into a plot that he/the reader does not even know is coming. I recommend this to all white collar losers like myself. ( )
  malrubius | Apr 2, 2013 |
How Home Land garnered such positive reviews is beyond me. It's a story in which characters I couldn't care less about do absolutely nothing. Sam Lipsyte is a sharp wordsmith, so though this book was an utter disappointment, I will likely read his upcoming novel, The Ask. [ full review ] ( )
  markflanagan | Jul 21, 2010 |
Yes, it got some terse praise, yes, it’s become sort of a cult favorite, but by God, Lipsyte ought to be a household name in this country. — Gideon Lewis-Kraus, Harper’s, "The Best Novels You've Never Read," New York Magazine ( )
  MightyLeaf | May 25, 2010 |
This is the best book I've ever read. ( )
  kateburt | Feb 24, 2010 |
But ''Home Land'' is not simply an account of life at the bottom of the food chain. Miner is too interesting a loser -- in the face of his vast inconsequence, he remains unbowed. ''I cannot, will not, hold my horses,'' he writes. ''My horses are gorgeous things, sweat-carved, sun-snorting beasts. Look at them go! See them gallop at some equine destiny I am ill equipped to comprehend.''

Its confession time, Catamounts.

What if somebody finally wrote to his high school alumni bulletin and told...the truth! Here is an update from hell, and the most brilliant work to date, by the novelist whom Jeffrey Eugenides calls "original, devious, and very funny" and of whose first novel Chuck Palahniuk wrote, "I laughed out loud---and I never laugh out loud."

The Eastern Valley High School Alumni newsletter, Catamount Notes, is bursting with tales of success: former students include a bankable politician and a famous baseball star, not to mention a major-label recording artist. Then there is the appalling, yet utterly lovable, Lewis Miner, class of '89---a.k.a Teabag---who did not pan out. This is his confession in all its bitter, lovelorn glory.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:26 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,240,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible