dismiss

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby (1925)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

57,41493814 (3.87)3 / 1152
Jay Gatsby had once loved beautiful, spoiled Daisy Buchanan, then lost her to a rich boy. Now, mysteriously wealthy, he is ready to risk everything to woo her back. This is the definitive, textually accurate edition of a classic of twentieth-century literature, The Great Gatsby. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan has been acclaimed by generations of readers. But the first edition contained a number of errors resulting from Fitzgerald's extensive revisions and a rushed production schedule.… (more)
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (themephi, sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play by Ellen Mansoor Collier (TomWaitsTables)
    The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Also narrated by a shadowy "outsider" figure and set in the glamorous 1920s.
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (chwiggy)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (kara.shamy)
    Look at Me by Anita Brookner (KayCliff)
    The Red and the Black by Stendhal (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Shady social upstarts rising to prominence in societies dealing with fundamental class upheaval and entertaining romantic aspirations outside their traditional spheres.
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (LottaBerling)
    Trust by Cynthia Ozick (citygirl)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: This book features a well-off family, pillars of the community, taking things to quite tragic lengths. It follows an African-American family and so adds colorism and racism to the mix.
    Garden by the Sea by Mercè Rodoreda (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Garden by the Sea is set in same period & milieu & leaves behind a deeper impression.
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (mountebank)
    The Spoils of Poynton by Henry James (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: similarly has a peripheral narrator showing rich people behaving badly about some of the strangest things
    A Whistling Woman by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In the afterword of The Other Typist, Suzanne Rindell acknowledges that her work was inspired by The Great Gatsby.
    An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Ten times longer, a hundred times harder to read, and a thousand times greater than Fitzgerald's lame and hysterical melodrama. Published only eight months later and nowadays largely forgotten, Dreiser's magnum opus is a much more powerful depiction of the rich and poor in America of the 1920s.… (more)
    A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (FFortuna)
    Kleider machen Leute by Gottfried Keller (chwiggy)
    Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (Sylak)
    Entitlement by Jonathan Bennett (ShelfMonkey)

1920s (1)
Read (3)

English (890)  Spanish (16)  Italian (8)  French (5)  Swedish (4)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (935)
This is basically a book about vapid rich people being rich and vapid. I actually ended up quite liking it; I think it showed well the upper classes' self-absorption and complete dissociation from everyday life, which means they have nothing better to do than organise their own sordid love lives. There are beautiful descriptions here, like that Daisy's voice is "full of money"; she can be so happy and carefree and delightful because she has too much money to have to care about anything important. I found it a neat skewering of the rich and powerful.

I had intended to read this before going to see the movie when it came out last summer, but then I never made plans to see the movie and thus had no incentive to read the book. It stayed on my "to-read" shelf for so long that eventually I deleted it, but then I found myself on a plane home from Hobart with no other novels on my Kindle that I hadn't read already, so I started with this one.

I guess one of the reasons I hesitated so long is I knew it was one of those books that lots of people study at school (although not me evidently), and most of the books I studied at school were kind of boring, so I thought this was going to be one of those. I am happy to say that it wasn't. It probably would've been if it had gone on any longer, but it didn't, so it wasn't. I'd definitely recommend it. (Jan 2014) ( )
  Jayeless | May 27, 2020 |
The Great Gatsby is a 1925 novel written by American author F. Scott Fitzgerald that follows a cast of characters living in the fictional towns of West Egg and East Egg on prosperous Long Island in the summer of 1922.
  Shiseida.Aponte | May 26, 2020 |
An absolute masterpiece, this one. I don't know why I could sympathize with Carraway so much, considering we are a century apart - and our backgrounds have nothing in common; but still, how I resonated with his words are truly remarkable. Maybe this is what it means to be a truly great author - that you can make your readers feel what your characters are feeling even after you are long gone. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
I wrote a paper on the Great Gatsby in high school without ever having read it. Turns out it's a really good book! ( )
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
Still beautiful more than twenty-five years after I first read it. ( )
  ChristopherSwann | May 15, 2020 |
The Great Gatsby is a romance novel that written by American Author F.Scott Fitzgerald.This novel is talk about the New Yorker in 1900s.The Great Gatsby is a classic piece of American fiction. It is a novel full of triumph and tragedy.Nick Carraway is the narrator, or storyteller, of The Great Gatsby, but he is not the story's protagonist, or main character. Instead, Jay Gatsby is the protagonist of the novel that bears his name. Tom Buchanan is the book's antagonist, opposing Gatsby's attempts to get what he wants: Tom's wife Daisy.

The weakness of this book is they using the classic languange and a little difficult to understand.The weakness also about Gatsby affection to Daisy,He spends that money on lavish parties in the hopes that she will show up.When she finally spends time with him, for the first time in many years, he naively believes that she will leave Tom for him but,unfortunately she is not.

However,the strength of this book is the writer are using the unique title so the reader are feel sympathy and curious about it, also the characteristic about Jay Gatsby that teach the reader many lesson.

To conclude,this book is the very recommended book,especially High School students because Fitzgerald’s novel is a portal to the savage heart of the human spirit, and wonders at our enormous capacity to dream, to imagine, to hope and to persevere.
added by Billy_Kululu | editMedia Indonesia, Billy Kululu (Dec 2, 2016)

The great Gatsby is truly a romance book like no other.F.SCOTT.Switzgerald describing about the life of New Yorker in 1900s.This novel is very popular many students if high school are required by their teachers to read this book.The narrator of The Great Gatsby is a young man from Minnesota named Nick Carraway. He not only narrates the story but casts himself as the book’s author.As ive read about this book,Gatsby’s personality was nothing short of “gorgeous.”

moreover,the weakness about this book is hard to understand if u are not really pay attention on it.this novel is about a contradiction,Gatsby's idealism makes him blind.He doesn't see that Daisy can't have love and money, just money. Gatsby can't turn back time.He even doesn't see death coming toward him.

However,the strength of this book something quite different from others,it is the charm and beauty of writing,has many important meanings that should be learned early on in life.

To conclude,what i can say is don't be too obsessed just because you have so much money,money ain't last forever.but overall its a magnificent,fantastically, entertaining and enthralling story.
added by Nadilla-Syawie | editThe New York Times, Nadilla Syawie (Dec 1, 2016)

"The Great Gatsby" is in form no more than a glorified anecdote, and not too probable at that

What gives the story distinction is something quite different from the management of the action or the handling of the characters; it is the charm and beauty of the writing.
added by danielx | editChicago Tribune, HL Mencken (Jan 23, 2015)

I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

There is the convoluted moral logic, simultaneously Romantic and Machiavellian, by which the most epically crooked character in the book is the one we are commanded to admire. There’s the command itself: the controlling need to tell us what to think, both in and about the book. There’s the blanket embrace of that great American delusion by which wealth, poverty, and class itself stem from private virtue and vice. There’s Fitzgerald’s unthinking commitment to a gender order so archaic as to be Premodern: corrupt woman occasioning the fall of man. There is, relatedly, the travesty of his female characters—single parenthesis every one, thoughtless and thin. (Don’t talk to me about the standards of his time; the man hell-bent on being the voice of his generation was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, Gertrude Stein, and Virginia Woolf, not to mention the great groundswell of activists who achieved the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Yet here he is in A Short Autobiography: “Women learn best not from books or from their own dreams but from reality and from contact with first-class men.”)
added by danielx | editVulture, Kathryn Schultz (Jul 4, 2013)

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME.

Fitzgerald, F. ScottAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a concordance

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
      If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
      I must have you!"
—Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
ONCE AGAIN
TO
ZELDA
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
All right ... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens, where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me. "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
I rented a house ... on that slender riotous island which extends itself due east of new york -- where there are, among other natural curiosities, two unusual formations of land. Twenty miles from the city a pair of enormous eggs, identical in contour and seprated only by a courtesy bay, jut out into the most domesticated body of salt water in the Western hemisphere, the great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound. They are not perfect ovals ... but their physical resembalnce must be a source of perpetual wonder to the gullsthat fly overhead.
This work is the book.
Wordsworth Classics publication of "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, KS3 Success Workbook Maths Levels 5-8, and "Driving Democracy: Do Power-Sharing Institutions Work?" by Norris, Pippa were falsely combined. This seemed to be driven by the ISBNs.

[R.L. 7.3, 8 pts]
Set in the 1920s, this is the tragic love story of Jay Gatsby, a dashing, enigmatic millionaire, obsessed with an elusive, spoiled young woman, Daisy Buchanan.
New neighbor is rich
and throws wild parties for friends.
The American dream.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182636, 0140007466, 0141023430, 0141037636, 024195147X, 1922079553, 0734306865

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832564, 1907832572

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,477,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible