The Great Gatsby (Scribner Classic) by F.…

The Great Gatsby (Scribner Classic) (original 1925; edition 1953)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

44,16669214 (3.89)3 / 794
Member:mkfm09
Title:The Great Gatsby (Scribner Classic)
Authors:F. Scott Fitzgerald
Info:Charles Scribner's Sons (1953), Edition: Contermporary Classics, Paperback, 182 pages

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925)

1920s (1)
Unread books (1,343)
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (themephi, sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Also narrated by a shadowy "outsider" figure and set in the glamorous 1920s.
    Trust by Cynthia Ozick (citygirl)
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (LottaBerling)
    Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play (A Jazz Age Mystery #1) by Ellen Mansoor Collier (one-horse.library)
    Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (FFortuna)
    An Unfinished Season by Ward Just (elenchus)
    elenchus: Unfinished Season is set in the 1950s in and around Chicago, but elsewise an interesting parallel to The Great Gatsby in terms of setting and basic plot: class and manners among the society elite, and a young man wrestling with changes in family, caste, and personal relations.… (more)
    A Whistling Woman by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (mountebank)
    The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In the afterword of The Other Typist, Suzanne Rindell acknowledges that her work was inspired by The Great Gatsby.
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (kara.shamy)
    A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (FFortuna)
    Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (Sylak)
    The Doll by Bolesław Prus (sirparsifal)
    A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh (SanctiSpiritus)
    Netherland by Joseph O'Neill (heidialice)
    Entitlement by Jonathan Bennett (ShelfMonkey)
    The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon (arrwa)
    The Count of Monte Cristo (abridged ∙ Bantam Classic) by Alexandre Dumas (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: The story of a man with a mysterious past and wealth, consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Another great story about never giving up on love, fighting against the odds, and surviving economic 'classism'.

English (656)  Spanish (11)  Italian (6)  French (4)  Swedish (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (691)
Published 89 years ago, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald still creates discussion and controversy for its brilliant depiction of the characters. The enigma of Jay Gatsby remains still today. What does he want from life? Daisy? The self-assurance of those born to wealth? Acceptance? Belief that he has reached success? Each reader walks away with their own interpretation, and each interpretation seems equally viable. That, to me, is the the magic of this book.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2014/11/the-great-gatsby.html ( )
  njmom3 | Nov 14, 2014 |
The Great Gatsby is one of those classics that almost every eclectic reader is bound to read sooner or later, whether for school or for fun or just to find out what all the fuss is about. It's also, however, a classic that no one really seems to know that much about until they read it (the Baz Lurhmann movie may have changed all that now, I don't know). All I really knew was that there was a narrator called Nick Carraway, lots of decadent alcohol-soaked parties, and that a long-standing romance between the enigmatic Jay Gatsby and a girl called Daisy was important.

This was a beautifully written novel with a cast of flawed and interesting characters and a strong dose of extremely pointed social commentary - so why couldn't I rate it higher than I did? Perhaps in some ways the fundamental nature of the characters, their shady backgrounds and compulsive lies and airy aloofness, served to distance me from their story rather than drawing me in. Every time I thought I'd got a handle on a character they got flipped around again. It's skilfully done by Fitzgerald, but it didn't allow me to really invest in anything that happened.

To be honest, I think one of the most irritating things for me was that just before I started reading the novel, some idiot on the internet spoiled the ending for me. Obviously I'm not going to say too much, but I really think the climax would have knocked me for six and added a lot to my lasting impression of the book had I not known what was coming.

As the novel progressed the contextual themes and philosophical musings occasionally got a bit heavy-handed, but I did enjoy the insight into the shifts and changes happening in Twenties society. Fitzgerald's careful skewering of rampant materialism and consumerism, of the corruption of wealth, and the poignant emptiness of the façade created by 'new money', is very well done. Jay Gatsby is the embodiment of an ambitious self-made man holding on to an impossible dream, Daisy is a shallow butterfly, and her husband Tom is the epitome of arrogant privilege and entitled cruelty. Of course, we only ever see what the gentle (though clearly biased) Nick Carraway wants to show us, but we can read between the lines.

I liked this novel. I really did. I think I'll get more from it on a second reading, and I'm definitely looking forward to watching a couple of different adaptations to see how they take this dazzling story into a new medium. I quite liked Jay Gatsby in the end, which I think helped cement my enjoyment of the book as a whole, and I very much liked Fitzgerald's smooth writing style. I'll definitely be reading more of his work - probably starting with Tender is the Night - and immersing myself further in the world of flappers and frippery to which he so frequently returns. ( )
  elliepotten | Nov 8, 2014 |
I mind-blowing book. I was amazed at how much is packed into such a short book: the rich yet debauched characters, the plot and the beautiful description of Jazz Age America. ( )
  martensgirl | Nov 7, 2014 |
This is my first book that I read from Fitzgerald. I didn't really know what to expect of the book or the author. I enjoyed his writing style even though a times it became annoyed, this I believe it to be because of the character's behavior and personality rather than his writing style.
Somehow I found myself being critical of their superficiality and ignorance,but after all, aren't we all at one time or another? I think the author did a great job portraying folks as they can be not necessarily an accurate one, but possible.
I think, I shall read a few more of his books before I form an opinion about his writing skills and I'm looking forward to that.
I liked the novel, their character's persona pushed my buttons and prompted me to become emotionally involved with it. ( )
  kushtaka9962 | Nov 4, 2014 |
I'd seen the film starring Robert Redford a couple of times, but this year, at long last, got round to reading the book. The film was very true to the book and at first I wondered if the reading the book was offering me anything new, considering that the film has so much voice over/narrator taken straight from the novel. By the end of the book I realised how incredibly insightful Fitzgerald was about the day and age he lived in. His words revealed the story in a new dimension and I found myself pitying Gatsby and understanding how he could never truly rise above who and what he was when high society lived by its own set of rules.

A must read. ( )
  ToniAllenAuthor | Oct 30, 2014 |
I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

There is the convoluted moral logic, simultaneously Romantic and Machiavellian, by which the most epically crooked character in the book is the one we are commanded to admire. There’s the command itself: the controlling need to tell us what to think, both in and about the book. There’s the blanket embrace of that great American delusion by which wealth, poverty, and class itself stem from private virtue and vice. There’s Fitzgerald’s unthinking commitment to a gender order so archaic as to be Premodern: corrupt woman occasioning the fall of man. There is, relatedly, the travesty of his female characters—single parenthesis every one, thoughtless and thin. (Don’t talk to me about the standards of his time; the man hell-bent on being the voice of his generation was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, Gertrude Stein, and Virginia Woolf, not to mention the great groundswell of activists who achieved the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Yet here he is in A Short Autobiography: “Women learn best not from books or from their own dreams but from reality and from contact with first-class men.”)
added by danielx | editVulture, Kathryn Schultz (Jul 4, 2013)

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME.

Still the brightest boy in the class, Scott Fitzgerald holds up his hand. It is noticed that his literary trousers are longer, less bell-bottomed, but still precious.
added by Shortride | editTime (May 11, 1925)

"Fantastic proof that chivalry, of a sort, is not dead."
added by GYKM | editLife (May 7, 1925)

A curious book, a mystical, glamourous story of today. It takes a deeper cut at life than hitherto has been enjoyed by Mr. Fitzgerald. He writes well-he always has-for he writes naturally, and his sense of form is becoming perfected.

F. Scott Fitzgeraldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tanner, TonyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tournier, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tredell, NicolasEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolff, Lutz-W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
      If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
      I must have you!"
—Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
ONCE AGAIN
TO
ZELDA
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
All right ... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens, where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me. "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
I rented a house ... on that slender riotous island which extends itself due east of new york -- where there are, among other natural curiosities, two unusual formations of land. Twenty miles from the city a pair of enormous eggs, identical in contour and seprated only by a courtesy bay, jut out into the most domesticated body of salt water in the Western hemisphere, the great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound. They are not perfect ovals ... but their physical resembalnce must be a source of perpetual wonder to the gullsthat fly overhead.
This work is the book.
[R.L. 7.3]
Set in the 1920s, this is the tragic love story of Jay Gatsby, a dashing, enigmatic millionaire, obsessed with an elusive, spoiled young woman, Daisy Buchanan.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743273567, Paperback)

In 1922, F. Scott Fitzgerald announced his decision to write "something new--something extraordinary and beautiful and simple + intricately patterned." That extraordinary, beautiful, intricately patterned, and above all, simple novel became The Great Gatsby, arguably Fitzgerald's finest work and certainly the book for which he is best known. A portrait of the Jazz Age in all of its decadence and excess, Gatsby captured the spirit of the author's generation and earned itself a permanent place in American mythology. Self-made, self-invented millionaire Jay Gatsby embodies some of Fitzgerald's--and his country's--most abiding obsessions: money, ambition, greed, and the promise of new beginnings. "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning--" Gatsby's rise to glory and eventual fall from grace becomes a kind of cautionary tale about the American Dream.

It's also a love story, of sorts, the narrative of Gatsby's quixotic passion for Daisy Buchanan. The pair meet five years before the novel begins, when Daisy is a legendary young Louisville beauty and Gatsby an impoverished officer. They fall in love, but while Gatsby serves overseas, Daisy marries the brutal, bullying, but extremely rich Tom Buchanan. After the war, Gatsby devotes himself blindly to the pursuit of wealth by whatever means--and to the pursuit of Daisy, which amounts to the same thing. "Her voice is full of money," Gatsby says admiringly, in one of the novel's more famous descriptions. His millions made, Gatsby buys a mansion across Long Island Sound from Daisy's patrician East Egg address, throws lavish parties, and waits for her to appear. When she does, events unfold with all the tragic inevitability of a Greek drama, with detached, cynical neighbor Nick Carraway acting as chorus throughout. Spare, elegantly plotted, and written in crystalline prose, The Great Gatsby is as perfectly satisfying as the best kind of poem.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:18 -0400)

Jay Gatsby had once loved beautiful, spoiled Daisy Buchanan, then lost her to a rich boy. Now, mysteriously wealthy, he is ready to risk everything to woo her back. This is the definitive, textually accurate edition of a classic of twentieth-century literature, The Great Gatsby. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan has been acclaimed by generations of readers. But the first edition contained a number of errors resulting from Fitzgerald's extensive revisions and a rushed production schedule.… (more)

Legacy Library: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's legacy profile.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's author page.

Eight editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182636, 0140007466, 0141023430, 0582823102, 0141037636, 024195147X, 1922079553, 0734306865

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,960,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible