The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby (original 1925; edition 1999)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

45,73973314 (3.89)3 / 862
Title:The Great Gatsby
Authors:F. Scott Fitzgerald
Info:Scribner (1999), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 180 pages

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925)

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (themephi, sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play (A Jazz Age Mystery #1) by Ellen Mansoor Collier (TomWaitsTables)
    The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Also narrated by a shadowy "outsider" figure and set in the glamorous 1920s.
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (kara.shamy)
    Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (FFortuna)
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (LottaBerling)
    The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In the afterword of The Other Typist, Suzanne Rindell acknowledges that her work was inspired by The Great Gatsby.
    An Unfinished Season by Ward Just (elenchus)
    elenchus: Unfinished Season is set in the 1950s in and around Chicago, but elsewise an interesting parallel to The Great Gatsby in terms of setting and basic plot: class and manners among the society elite, and a young man wrestling with changes in family, caste, and personal relations.… (more)
    Trust by Cynthia Ozick (citygirl)
    A Whistling Woman by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    Netherland by Joseph O'Neill (heidialice)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (mountebank)
    Entitlement by Jonathan Bennett (ShelfMonkey)
    A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (FFortuna)
    Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (Sylak)
    A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh (SanctiSpiritus)
    The Doll by Bolesław Prus (sirparsifal)
    The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon (arrwa)
    The Count of Monte Cristo (abridged ∙ Bantam Classic) by Alexandre Dumas (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: The story of a man with a mysterious past and wealth, consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Another great story about never giving up on love, fighting against the odds, and surviving economic 'classism'.

1920s (1)
Unread books (1,156)

English (693)  Spanish (12)  Italian (6)  French (4)  Swedish (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (730)
This book gives you a realistic view of the American Dream in the 1920s.
It is beautifully written and so terribly tragic.
This book is beautiful and devastating. ( )
  Haidji | Sep 22, 2015 |
I've now read The Great Gatsby in three formats, first the movie, than the audiobook and last the paperback. Which is the best? Tough call, the book makes more sense, and has great, fantastic writing, and deep, cerebral plot. ( )
1 vote charlie68 | Sep 10, 2015 |
Loved it in high school, and loved it significantly more in college. In college, I read it on my own during Spring Break and thought to myself, "How could I have understood all of this in 11th grade?" I don't think I DID. If you read this in high school, I recommend re-reading it as an adult. ( )
1 vote engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
The first time I read this, I was young and impatient. (Now I'm old and impatient.) I didn't understand Fitzgerald's genius until page 162 (which is pretty close to the end, which shows how hard I can be to be convinced of the obvious). It's a passage you probably know well if you're familiar with the book:

"...he must have felt that he had lost the old warm world, paid a high price for living too long with a single dream. He must have looked up at an unfamiliar sky through frightening leaves and shivered as he found what a grotesque thing a rose is and how raw the sunlight was upon the scarcely created grass. A new world, material without being real, where poor ghosts, breathing dreams like air, drifted fortuitously about..."

I understood almost nothing of the rest of the book. The problems and petty tragedies of the privileged moved me very little (and I don't care much more about them now). Even Nick Carraway, the quiet narrator who barely leaves a trace of himself in the story, was much more secure in every sense than I'd ever been and so seemed far above and beyond me. And that period of American history left, and leaves, me cold.

So what could this story possibly hold for me?

That's what I keep coming back to find out.

It began with having faith in a writer who understood how terrifying a rose can be from a certain angle.

It's a little more personal now that I have a son who suffers from Carraway Syndrome: the condition of being a quiet, sympathetic, nonjudgmental presence who attracts people who desperately need that. He's a "good listener" in a world that rarely returns the favor.

What will the story be for me next time? A closer look at Jordan Baker, maybe. Or a better understanding of Nick and his fear of "missing something if I forget that...a sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth."

Or maybe I'll just listen, the way Nick was compelled to listen both to "veteran bores" and "the secret griefs of wild, unknown men." And if I'm still not sure why I should care about Gatsby and his cherished heartbreak, there's always another reading ahead. Because whatever else this is, it's not a story that can be shut, set aside, and forgotten. Even I figured that out the first time around, and I was an exceptionally stupid teenage reader. ( )
1 vote Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Simply one of my favorite books. Read at least 5 times now. ( )
1 vote Industrialstr | Aug 7, 2015 |
"The Great Gatsby" is in form no more than a glorified anecdote, and not too probable at that

What gives the story distinction is something quite different from the management of the action or the handling of the characters; it is the charm and beauty of the writing.
added by danielx | editChicago Tribune, HL Mencken (Jan 23, 2015)
I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

There is the convoluted moral logic, simultaneously Romantic and Machiavellian, by which the most epically crooked character in the book is the one we are commanded to admire. There’s the command itself: the controlling need to tell us what to think, both in and about the book. There’s the blanket embrace of that great American delusion by which wealth, poverty, and class itself stem from private virtue and vice. There’s Fitzgerald’s unthinking commitment to a gender order so archaic as to be Premodern: corrupt woman occasioning the fall of man. There is, relatedly, the travesty of his female characters—single parenthesis every one, thoughtless and thin. (Don’t talk to me about the standards of his time; the man hell-bent on being the voice of his generation was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, Gertrude Stein, and Virginia Woolf, not to mention the great groundswell of activists who achieved the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Yet here he is in A Short Autobiography: “Women learn best not from books or from their own dreams but from reality and from contact with first-class men.”)
added by danielx | editVulture, Kathryn Schultz (Jul 4, 2013)

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME.
Jay Gatsby, el caballero que reina sobre West Egg, el anfitrión de las noches sin tregua, pero también el triunfador marcado por el trágico sino de una soledad no pretendida, es el arquetipo de esos años veinte que se iniciaron con la Prohibición y discurrieron en el gangsterismo y la corrupción política organizada. Protagonista de una década que culminaría con la catástrofe de 1929, su imagen de esplendor no hace sino anunciar un drama inevitable. Triunfo de perpetua juventud, brillantez animada por el exceso, fueron también las constantes de la vida de Francis Scott Fitzgerald, quien nos ofrece en El gran Gatsby una de sus obras mayores.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia
Still the brightest boy in the class, Scott Fitzgerald holds up his hand. It is noticed that his literary trousers are longer, less bell-bottomed, but still precious.
added by Shortride | editTime (May 11, 1925)

F. Scott Fitzgeraldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tanner, TonyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tournier, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tredell, NicolasEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolff, Lutz-W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
      If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
      I must have you!"
—Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
All right ... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens, where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me. "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
I rented a house ... on that slender riotous island which extends itself due east of new york -- where there are, among other natural curiosities, two unusual formations of land. Twenty miles from the city a pair of enormous eggs, identical in contour and seprated only by a courtesy bay, jut out into the most domesticated body of salt water in the Western hemisphere, the great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound. They are not perfect ovals ... but their physical resembalnce must be a source of perpetual wonder to the gullsthat fly overhead.
This work is the book.
[R.L. 7.3]
Set in the 1920s, this is the tragic love story of Jay Gatsby, a dashing, enigmatic millionaire, obsessed with an elusive, spoiled young woman, Daisy Buchanan.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743273567, Paperback)

In 1922, F. Scott Fitzgerald announced his decision to write "something new--something extraordinary and beautiful and simple + intricately patterned." That extraordinary, beautiful, intricately patterned, and above all, simple novel became The Great Gatsby, arguably Fitzgerald's finest work and certainly the book for which he is best known. A portrait of the Jazz Age in all of its decadence and excess, Gatsby captured the spirit of the author's generation and earned itself a permanent place in American mythology. Self-made, self-invented millionaire Jay Gatsby embodies some of Fitzgerald's--and his country's--most abiding obsessions: money, ambition, greed, and the promise of new beginnings. "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning--" Gatsby's rise to glory and eventual fall from grace becomes a kind of cautionary tale about the American Dream.

It's also a love story, of sorts, the narrative of Gatsby's quixotic passion for Daisy Buchanan. The pair meet five years before the novel begins, when Daisy is a legendary young Louisville beauty and Gatsby an impoverished officer. They fall in love, but while Gatsby serves overseas, Daisy marries the brutal, bullying, but extremely rich Tom Buchanan. After the war, Gatsby devotes himself blindly to the pursuit of wealth by whatever means--and to the pursuit of Daisy, which amounts to the same thing. "Her voice is full of money," Gatsby says admiringly, in one of the novel's more famous descriptions. His millions made, Gatsby buys a mansion across Long Island Sound from Daisy's patrician East Egg address, throws lavish parties, and waits for her to appear. When she does, events unfold with all the tragic inevitability of a Greek drama, with detached, cynical neighbor Nick Carraway acting as chorus throughout. Spare, elegantly plotted, and written in crystalline prose, The Great Gatsby is as perfectly satisfying as the best kind of poem.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

Jay Gatsby had once loved beautiful, spoiled Daisy Buchanan, then lost her to a rich boy. Now, mysteriously wealthy, he is ready to risk everything to woo her back. This is the definitive, textually accurate edition of a classic of twentieth-century literature, The Great Gatsby. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan has been acclaimed by generations of readers. But the first edition contained a number of errors resulting from Fitzgerald's extensive revisions and a rushed production schedule.… (more)

Legacy Library: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's legacy profile.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's author page.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182636, 0140007466, 0141023430, 0582823102, 0141037636, 024195147X, 1922079553, 0734306865

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,724,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible