The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby (original 1925; edition 1999)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

42,573None14 (3.9)3 / 721
Member:LoraleeD
Title:The Great Gatsby
Authors:F. Scott Fitzgerald
Info:Scribner (1999), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 180 pages
Rating:***

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925)

1001 (151) 1001 books (149) 1920s (674) 20th century (560) America (214) American (703) American Dream (182) American fiction (136) American literature (995) classic (1,722) Classic Literature (168) classics (1,166) F. Scott Fitzgerald (149) favorites (114) fiction (4,484) Fitzgerald (173) jazz age (431) literature (878) Long Island (161) love (204) modernism (126) New York (353) novel (795) own (200) read (683) Roaring Twenties (135) romance (234) to-read (257) USA (221) wealth (145)
1920s (1)
Unread books (1,075)
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (themephi, sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play by Ellen Mansoor Collier (one-horse.library)
    The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Also narrated by a shadowy "outsider" figure and set in the glamorous 1920s.
    A Whistling Woman by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (mountebank)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (kara.shamy)
    An Unfinished Season by Ward Just (elenchus)
    elenchus: Unfinished Season is set in the 1950s in and around Chicago, but elsewise an interesting parallel to The Great Gatsby in terms of setting and basic plot: class and manners among the society elite, and a young man wrestling with changes in family, caste, and personal relations.… (more)
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (LottaBerling)
    The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In the afterword of The Other Typist, Suzanne Rindell acknowledges that her work was inspired by The Great Gatsby.
    Trust by Cynthia Ozick (citygirl)
    Entitlement by Jonathan Bennett (ShelfMonkey)
    Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (Sylak)
    A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh (SanctiSpiritus)
    Netherland by Joseph O'Neill (heidialice)
    The Doll by Bolesław Prus (sirparsifal)
    The Count of Monte Cristo (abridged ∙ Bantam Classic) by Alexandre Dumas (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: The story of a man with a mysterious past and wealth, consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Another great story about never giving up on love, fighting against the odds, and surviving economic 'classism'.

English (622)  Spanish (10)  Italian (6)  French (4)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (654)
The Great Gatsby has been called F. Scott Fitzgerald's masterpiece. I cannot say for sure for this is the only novel or piece of literature I've ever read but I will agree with the fans: The Great Gatsby is a damn good novel. Nick Carraway is the narrator of this tale but the true protagonist is Jay Gatz a.k.a Jay Gatsby.

Nick lives in West Egg in Long Island in a small humble cottage. His neighbor, Gatsby lives in a mansion where every night he throws these lavish parties. After inviting Nick one night, Gatsby tells him his true motive: Daisy Buchanan, who just happens to be Nick's cousin. Daisy along with her adulterous and racist husband Tom and their young daughter live on the other side in East Egg, a very affluent neighborhood.

Nick, because of his honest nature, is a bit hesitant, but after witnessing Tom's world of debauchery with his mistress Myrtle and their treatment of Myrtle's husband, he agrees to helping Gatsby meet Daisy for tea at Nick's house. After this initial meeting, all of the characters descend into a cycle of lies and passion that culminate into an incredible argument that can only end in tragedy.

I really enjoyed the Great Gatsby. Fitzgerald did have a tendency to be verbose and trail off but I think that added to the story. There was a king of manic urgency to Gatsby, who was, I think, very lonely. I really felt for him because all he wanted was his dream but it wasn't his dream anymore.

I felt equally bad for Nick. He wasn't meant for the world of affluence. Because with all that wealth, there is treachery, debauchery, and apathy. That's why it would never work out between him and Jordan. Her dishonesty became as natural as oxygen.

The Great Gatsby is a great book.

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
This is a re-review of the story and a review of an audio book version.
I read this book originally in the 70's, just because I was on a classics kick. I enjoyed the story, although I did think it was kind of slow and more description than story. I did the re-listen in the wake of the flashy movie, just to make sure that what I thought I remembered was what I had actually read. It was. ( )
  susanbeamon | Apr 12, 2014 |
The Great Gatsby's original cover very contemporary for 1925. Proclaimed as one of the greatest classic novels of the twentieth century Fitzgerald's third novel is thought to be his greatest life achievement. His command of the English language is unparalleled making is
choice of word usage one of the best reasons to read this book. Challenge: when reading are you hoping for a nappy ending for the couple or do you see them as less deserving of happiness? If so, why? Read pass the first thirty pages. if you read this book in high school reread as an adult.
1 vote ac19193 | Apr 10, 2014 |
The obsession with wealth never ceases. Even now, novels, movies, TV, they all exploit our want to look inside the lives of the wealthy by showing it with plenty of glitzy excess... meanwhile they exploit what we feel, because we don't have wealth, by portraying the rich as incredibly miserable.

Now on to see the latest movie with DiCaprio and discuss with bookclub. ( )
1 vote FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
Yet high over the city our line of yellow windows must have contributed their share of human secrecy to the casual watcher in the darkening streets, and I was him too, looking up and wondering. I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.

I thought long and hard about what I wanted to say in regards to The Great Gatsby. When I closed the book last night, I knew that it had reserved a spot in my top five favorite books of all time, I just didn't understand why.

When I compared it to what I consider to be my favorite book, [b:The Stand|149267|The Stand|Stephen King|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1213131305s/149267.jpg|1742269], I couldn't put together a reason as to why it can stand on equal footing (no pun intended). The Stand is about 10 Gatsby's in length and is so thick with plot and sheer amount of characters that sticking it on the same proverbial shelf with such a smaller and much more simple book is mind boggling.

Sure, it has a massive amount of critical praise and is widely considering one of the greatest American novels of all time but why? On it's surface, the story about a charismatic and mysterious millionaire didn't appear to be anything original. It also didn't help that almost nothing happens within the first 50 pages. However, both of those points did nothing to explain why I couldn't put it down.

I thought about it for a while and decided that I'm simply going to have to blame Fitzgerald's writing. Anyone can write about parties, career choices and conversations over tea but to do it in a way that makes it hard to look away is wholly impressive. There were passages that I had to re-read and then re-re-read. The opener of this review may be one of my all time favorite quotes.

Then again, I could always blame his characters. Nick Carraway is an every man that you can easily identify with. As he explains the grandeur and majesty of Gatsby's parties, the caliber of guests it draws and the overall atmosphere of a post-war America; he does so in a way that leaves you longing to visit the era yet refusing to oversell it. How in the world can someone do that? It's not as easy as telling someone about how historic an event is and following it up with, "Yeah.. it was OK, I guess."

I could also throw blame in the direction of that scene in the Plaza Hotel. I'm not going to give anything away (and honestly, I don't think I could as I may be the last person to read this book) but the tension in that room was like nothing I've ever read. I almost couldn't deal with the awkward vibe that Fitzgerald projected here, especially when you consider the headstrong self-righteousness that Gatsby bases his whole existence on.

Look, this is a great book and certainly a classic. I doubt I brought anything new to the table here with my thoughts but I think if you ever have any reservations about reading this, you should toss them right out the window. I have been consistently prodded to read this book over the last year and for whatever reason, it constantly moved down on my to-read list. What an error on my part!

Side Note: I'm really looking forward to Baz Luhrman's film version. I have some serious reservations about Tobey Maguire playing Nick Carraway but the rest of the cast looks solid.

Review is cross posted at Every Read Thing ( )
1 vote branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

There is the convoluted moral logic, simultaneously Romantic and Machiavellian, by which the most epically crooked character in the book is the one we are commanded to admire. There’s the command itself: the controlling need to tell us what to think, both in and about the book. There’s the blanket embrace of that great American delusion by which wealth, poverty, and class itself stem from private virtue and vice. There’s Fitzgerald’s unthinking commitment to a gender order so archaic as to be Premodern: corrupt woman occasioning the fall of man. There is, relatedly, the travesty of his female characters—single parenthesis every one, thoughtless and thin. (Don’t talk to me about the standards of his time; the man hell-bent on being the voice of his generation was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, Gertrude Stein, and Virginia Woolf, not to mention the great groundswell of activists who achieved the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Yet here he is in A Short Autobiography: “Women learn best not from books or from their own dreams but from reality and from contact with first-class men.”)
added by danielx | editVulture, Kathryn Schultz (Jul 4, 2013)

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME.

Still the brightest boy in the class, Scott Fitzgerald holds up his hand. It is noticed that his literary trousers are longer, less bell-bottomed, but still precious.
added by Shortride | editTime (May 11, 1925)

"Fantastic proof that chivalry, of a sort, is not dead."
added by GYKM | editLife (May 7, 1925)

A curious book, a mystical, glamourous story of today. It takes a deeper cut at life than hitherto has been enjoyed by Mr. Fitzgerald. He writes well-he always has-for he writes naturally, and his sense of form is becoming perfected.

F. Scott Fitzgeraldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schürenberg, WalterPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scourby, AlexanderNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soosaar, EnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolff, Lutz-W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
      If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
      I must have you!"
—Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
ONCE AGAIN
TO
ZELDA
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
All right ... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens, where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me. "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
I rented a house ... on that slender riotous island which extends itself due east of new york -- where there are, among other natural curiosities, two unusual formations of land. Twenty miles from the city a pair of enormous eggs, identical in contour and seprated only by a courtesy bay, jut out into the most domesticated body of salt water in the Western hemisphere, the great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound. They are not perfect ovals ... but their physical resembalnce must be a source of perpetual wonder to the gullsthat fly overhead.
The Great Gatsby has been a beloved novel for generations. It is about the millionare Jay Gatsby and his love for Daisy Buchanan. The time period is the Jazz age and right after WWI. While trying to woo Daisy, a tragedy occurs. The Great Gatsby is filled with love, suspense, and passion. This book is lower on my list because I did not enjoy it as much as a lot of people. I didn't really connect to the story in any way.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743273567, Paperback)

In 1922, F. Scott Fitzgerald announced his decision to write "something new--something extraordinary and beautiful and simple + intricately patterned." That extraordinary, beautiful, intricately patterned, and above all, simple novel became The Great Gatsby, arguably Fitzgerald's finest work and certainly the book for which he is best known. A portrait of the Jazz Age in all of its decadence and excess, Gatsby captured the spirit of the author's generation and earned itself a permanent place in American mythology. Self-made, self-invented millionaire Jay Gatsby embodies some of Fitzgerald's--and his country's--most abiding obsessions: money, ambition, greed, and the promise of new beginnings. "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning--" Gatsby's rise to glory and eventual fall from grace becomes a kind of cautionary tale about the American Dream.

It's also a love story, of sorts, the narrative of Gatsby's quixotic passion for Daisy Buchanan. The pair meet five years before the novel begins, when Daisy is a legendary young Louisville beauty and Gatsby an impoverished officer. They fall in love, but while Gatsby serves overseas, Daisy marries the brutal, bullying, but extremely rich Tom Buchanan. After the war, Gatsby devotes himself blindly to the pursuit of wealth by whatever means--and to the pursuit of Daisy, which amounts to the same thing. "Her voice is full of money," Gatsby says admiringly, in one of the novel's more famous descriptions. His millions made, Gatsby buys a mansion across Long Island Sound from Daisy's patrician East Egg address, throws lavish parties, and waits for her to appear. When she does, events unfold with all the tragic inevitability of a Greek drama, with detached, cynical neighbor Nick Carraway acting as chorus throughout. Spare, elegantly plotted, and written in crystalline prose, The Great Gatsby is as perfectly satisfying as the best kind of poem.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:18 -0400)

Jay Gatsby had once loved beautiful, spoiled Daisy Buchanan, then lost her to a rich boy. Now, mysteriously wealthy, he is ready to risk everything to woo her back. This is the definitive, textually accurate edition of a classic of twentieth-century literature, The Great Gatsby. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan has been acclaimed by generations of readers. But the first edition contained a number of errors resulting from Fitzgerald's extensive revisions and a rushed production schedule.… (more)

Legacy Library: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's legacy profile.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's author page.

Fifteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Seven editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182636, 0140007466, 0141023430, 0582823102, 0141037636, 024195147X, 1922079553

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,447,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible