The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby (original 1925; edition 2012)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Info:lulu.com (2012), Paperback, 102 pages
Collections:Your library (inactive)
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925)

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (themephi, sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Also narrated by a shadowy "outsider" figure and set in the glamorous 1920s.
    Trust by Cynthia Ozick (citygirl)
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (LottaBerling)
    Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play (A Jazz Age Mystery #1) by Ellen Mansoor Collier (one-horse.library)
    The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In the afterword of The Other Typist, Suzanne Rindell acknowledges that her work was inspired by The Great Gatsby.
    An Unfinished Season by Ward Just (elenchus)
    elenchus: Unfinished Season is set in the 1950s in and around Chicago, but elsewise an interesting parallel to The Great Gatsby in terms of setting and basic plot: class and manners among the society elite, and a young man wrestling with changes in family, caste, and personal relations.… (more)
    A Whistling Woman by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (mountebank)
    Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (FFortuna)
    A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (FFortuna)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (kara.shamy)
    Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (Sylak)
    A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh (SanctiSpiritus)
    The Doll by Bolesław Prus (sirparsifal)
    Netherland by Joseph O'Neill (heidialice)
    Entitlement by Jonathan Bennett (ShelfMonkey)
    The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon (arrwa)
    The Count of Monte Cristo (abridged ∙ Bantam Classic) by Alexandre Dumas (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: The story of a man with a mysterious past and wealth, consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Another great story about never giving up on love, fighting against the odds, and surviving economic 'classism'.

1920s (1)
Unread books (1,091)

English (671)  Spanish (12)  Italian (6)  French (4)  Swedish (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (708)
I spent a lot of effort over the years resisting doing what I was supposed to do, especially if everyone else appeared to be doing it. Which is how and why I've avoided reading The Great Gatsby over so many years. I do know from experience that what experience you bring to the reading of a book influences how you perceive and receive it. This is true with this book as there are parts of the story that seem to resonate with some of my own experiences and for me enhanced my appreciation for the novel. If I had read this back in high school and collegel when it seemed like everyone else was reading it (under the combined influence of the film and literature teachers and professors) I don't think I would have received it the same way. I did find it well and cleanly written, the prose never jarring but also propelling the story forward with nice touches of color and atmosphere in supporting roles - and I found it also remarkable just how much weight the moviemakers have compelled these 180 pages to bear when translated into a movie script. ( )
  RobertMosher | Apr 11, 2015 |
The Great Gatsby was excellent; however i found it to be very difficult to understand. With so many characters and so many names it becomes very difficult to understand. there were several time in this book where i completely was lost and had no clue who was talking, what was going on, or where the characters where. Having read the book after seeing the movie was probably not the best decision. The movie does't ever compare to the book; however, because i saw the movie first and wasn't 100% sure what was happening i lost some enjoyment that the book had to offer. The story the book tells is excellent, and i feel that this is a book that everyone must at least try to read, but I warn you to take it slow. If you rush through this book you will miss key details that are vital to the story. ( )
  Jackd180 | Apr 1, 2015 |
Magnificent wordsmithing. Characters were distinctive but the plot was a bit weak. ( )
  symrian1234 | Mar 26, 2015 |
At it's core it's about ambition. Not avarice seeking satisfaction in having or gaining the material per se but the longing for happiness. And how so often it dangles just beyond our grasp.

“There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired.”

“And I like large parties. They’re so intimate. At small parties there isn’t any privacy.”

“There must have been moments even that afternoon when Daisy tumbled short of his dreams -- not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion. It had gone beyond her, beyond everything. He had thrown himself into it with a creative passion, adding to it all the time, decking it out with every bright feather that drifted his way. No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart.” ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
The Great Gatsby takes place in 1922 in the state of New York. The story is narrated by a man of the name Nick Carraway, who moves to the city for the bond business. Carraway meets up with his past friend Daisy Buchanan, a wealthy, extravagant girl, who's the spouse of Tom Buchanan. Carraway also befriends his mysterious, extremely wealthy neighbor Jay Gatsby. Gatsby is a man who was born to a poor family, but has spent his whole life building himself up in any way he can, even in illegal ways, to get money,which he believes will somehow complete him as a person. Carraway finds out that Gatsby once had a relationship with Daisy, and now, Gatsby wants Carraway to help him rekindle their relationship. Once Carraway does this, Gatsby and Daisy once again fall in love, and they begin having an affair. Later in the book, Gatsby tries to get Daisy to tell her husband Tom that she wants to leave him, but she admits that deep down she once loved Tom and will not leave him. Later that night, Daisy is driving Gatsby home, and she accidentally hits Myrtle Wilson (Tom Buchanan's mistress), and kills her. Mr. Wilson, in a fit of rage and anger believes that the car was being driven by Gatsby, so he goes and kills Gatsby with a gunshot. Gatsby's funeral is held, and even though his life was spent with hundreds of people around him, only few come to his funeral. Daisy flees with her family, leaving before the funeral occurs, and Carraway attends the funeral, and then returns to his original home, Minnesota.

The Great Gatsby is sayed to be an all-time classic. I personally, believe it completely deserves that title. The author Fitzgerald is able to intrigue the reader constantly, and completely incaptivate them with his words.The story has so many metaphors and ideas within it, it's almost impossible to grasp its full meaning. I think the story is beautiful, and elegantly written. It is completely worthy of four stars. ( )
  Sydneyp.b1 | Mar 15, 2015 |
"The Great Gatsby" is in form no more than a glorified anecdote, and not too probable at that

What gives the story distinction is something quite different from the management of the action or the handling of the characters; it is the charm and beauty of the writing.
added by danielx | editChicago Tribune, HL Mencken (Jan 23, 2015)

I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

There is the convoluted moral logic, simultaneously Romantic and Machiavellian, by which the most epically crooked character in the book is the one we are commanded to admire. There’s the command itself: the controlling need to tell us what to think, both in and about the book. There’s the blanket embrace of that great American delusion by which wealth, poverty, and class itself stem from private virtue and vice. There’s Fitzgerald’s unthinking commitment to a gender order so archaic as to be Premodern: corrupt woman occasioning the fall of man. There is, relatedly, the travesty of his female characters—single parenthesis every one, thoughtless and thin. (Don’t talk to me about the standards of his time; the man hell-bent on being the voice of his generation was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, Gertrude Stein, and Virginia Woolf, not to mention the great groundswell of activists who achieved the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Yet here he is in A Short Autobiography: “Women learn best not from books or from their own dreams but from reality and from contact with first-class men.”)
added by danielx | editVulture, Kathryn Schultz (Jul 4, 2013)

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME.

Still the brightest boy in the class, Scott Fitzgerald holds up his hand. It is noticed that his literary trousers are longer, less bell-bottomed, but still precious.
added by Shortride | editTime (May 11, 1925)

"Fantastic proof that chivalry, of a sort, is not dead."
added by GYKM | editLife (May 7, 1925)

F. Scott Fitzgeraldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tanner, TonyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tournier, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tredell, NicolasEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolff, Lutz-W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
      If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
      I must have you!"
—Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
ONCE AGAIN
TO
ZELDA
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
All right ... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens, where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me. "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
I rented a house ... on that slender riotous island which extends itself due east of new york -- where there are, among other natural curiosities, two unusual formations of land. Twenty miles from the city a pair of enormous eggs, identical in contour and seprated only by a courtesy bay, jut out into the most domesticated body of salt water in the Western hemisphere, the great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound. They are not perfect ovals ... but their physical resembalnce must be a source of perpetual wonder to the gullsthat fly overhead.
This work is the book.
[R.L. 7.3]
Set in the 1920s, this is the tragic love story of Jay Gatsby, a dashing, enigmatic millionaire, obsessed with an elusive, spoiled young woman, Daisy Buchanan.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743273567, Paperback)

In 1922, F. Scott Fitzgerald announced his decision to write "something new--something extraordinary and beautiful and simple + intricately patterned." That extraordinary, beautiful, intricately patterned, and above all, simple novel became The Great Gatsby, arguably Fitzgerald's finest work and certainly the book for which he is best known. A portrait of the Jazz Age in all of its decadence and excess, Gatsby captured the spirit of the author's generation and earned itself a permanent place in American mythology. Self-made, self-invented millionaire Jay Gatsby embodies some of Fitzgerald's--and his country's--most abiding obsessions: money, ambition, greed, and the promise of new beginnings. "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning--" Gatsby's rise to glory and eventual fall from grace becomes a kind of cautionary tale about the American Dream.

It's also a love story, of sorts, the narrative of Gatsby's quixotic passion for Daisy Buchanan. The pair meet five years before the novel begins, when Daisy is a legendary young Louisville beauty and Gatsby an impoverished officer. They fall in love, but while Gatsby serves overseas, Daisy marries the brutal, bullying, but extremely rich Tom Buchanan. After the war, Gatsby devotes himself blindly to the pursuit of wealth by whatever means--and to the pursuit of Daisy, which amounts to the same thing. "Her voice is full of money," Gatsby says admiringly, in one of the novel's more famous descriptions. His millions made, Gatsby buys a mansion across Long Island Sound from Daisy's patrician East Egg address, throws lavish parties, and waits for her to appear. When she does, events unfold with all the tragic inevitability of a Greek drama, with detached, cynical neighbor Nick Carraway acting as chorus throughout. Spare, elegantly plotted, and written in crystalline prose, The Great Gatsby is as perfectly satisfying as the best kind of poem.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:18 -0400)

Jay Gatsby had once loved beautiful, spoiled Daisy Buchanan, then lost her to a rich boy. Now, mysteriously wealthy, he is ready to risk everything to woo her back. This is the definitive, textually accurate edition of a classic of twentieth-century literature, The Great Gatsby. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan has been acclaimed by generations of readers. But the first edition contained a number of errors resulting from Fitzgerald's extensive revisions and a rushed production schedule.… (more)

Legacy Library: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's legacy profile.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's author page.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182636, 0140007466, 0141023430, 0582823102, 0141037636, 024195147X, 1922079553, 0734306865

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,554,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible