The Great Gatsby (Collins Classics) by F.…

The Great Gatsby (Collins Classics) (original 1925; edition 1925)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

43,82468514 (3.89)3 / 767
Member:rory1000
Title:The Great Gatsby (Collins Classics)
Authors:F. Scott Fitzgerald
Info:HarperPress (2010), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, 2013 Fiction
Rating:***

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925)

1920s (1)
Unread books (1,040)
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (themephi, sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Also narrated by a shadowy "outsider" figure and set in the glamorous 1920s.
    Trust by Cynthia Ozick (citygirl)
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (LottaBerling)
    Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play by Ellen Mansoor Collier (one-horse.library)
    Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (FFortuna)
    An Unfinished Season by Ward Just (elenchus)
    elenchus: Unfinished Season is set in the 1950s in and around Chicago, but elsewise an interesting parallel to The Great Gatsby in terms of setting and basic plot: class and manners among the society elite, and a young man wrestling with changes in family, caste, and personal relations.… (more)
    A Whistling Woman by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (mountebank)
    The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In the afterword of The Other Typist, Suzanne Rindell acknowledges that her work was inspired by The Great Gatsby.
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (kara.shamy)
    A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (FFortuna)
    Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (Sylak)
    The Doll by Bolesław Prus (sirparsifal)
    A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh (SanctiSpiritus)
    Netherland by Joseph O'Neill (heidialice)
    Entitlement by Jonathan Bennett (ShelfMonkey)
    The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon (arrwa)
    The Count of Monte Cristo (abridged ∙ Bantam Classic) by Alexandre Dumas (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: The story of a man with a mysterious past and wealth, consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Another great story about never giving up on love, fighting against the odds, and surviving economic 'classism'.

English (649)  Spanish (11)  Italian (6)  French (4)  Swedish (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (684)
Narrated by Mr. Carraway, readers are taken into the indulgent lifestyles of the rich and famous from the 1920′s. Barely managing to afford a small, windswept cottage situated alongside palatial summer mansions on Long Island’s shoreline, Mr. Carraway uses his forgotten piece of property to spy out the happenings around him. One of these mansions is occupied by his second cousin Daisy Buchanan, and her husband Tom, while another contains the mysterious Gatsby.

Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/the-great-gatsby-f-scott-fitz... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Prose that sends me into jealous rages. Dialogue that's real and earthy, precise to the age in which it is set. The only thing that lacks is the actual story. A little convenient in the end for such a natural story line, but my god, I wish I could write like this. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
A very interesting book, the way this book holds you enraptured with the beautiful futility of life. The simple symbol of the green light shining across the harbor and my favorite last words of a book. The river of life that you stretch across, pulling yourself closer while being pushed into the past. Or questions what notoriety is, what are you looking for in life and how far is worthwhile to escape from one's own past. The river if time will, still, and does push everyone into oblivion. No one remembers the broken people, the forgotten toys; so too with the wonder of humanity. I am (hopefully) not close to my funeral but I do wonder who will be there for me. Who will come to forget me as the river swells me into the past? ( )
  Lorem | Sep 20, 2014 |
(this review was originally written for bookslut)

When I started reading The Great Gatsby I believed two things: First, that Gatsby was on our 100 best books list, and second, that I had read it before in high school. I now know the first to be untrue and suspect the second. Although there are a great number of books I read in high school that I now only vaguely remember (Wuthering Heights being the other book that I can recall almost nothing of now), I really think I could not have read Gatsby before, as unfamiliar as it is to me now.

But really, more importantly, how in the world did The Great Gatsby not end up on our list of books? Jessa just happened to call me shortly after reading it, as I had a list of the 100 books in my hands and had just realized that not only was Gatsby not on *my* list of books to read, but it wasn't on the list at all! Jessa was also shamed by our oversight, but neither of us are at all interested in changing the list now. As much work as it took to make it, I don't want to have to decide which book comes off to make room for it!

So how about I just tell you what I thought of the book, as if I were reviewing it for the list anyway? By now, everyone should know the basic plot: Gatsby, a tremendously rich man, is terribly and secretly in love with Daisy, who is married and lives across the harbour on Long Island. The story is told from the point of view of Nick, Gatsby's neighbor and Daisy's distant cousin, who of course gets deeply enmeshed in the whole affair.

Now this is a book to read slowly, which is difficult to do as it is so short and the temptation to race through it is overwhelming. (Especially if you do most of your reading, as I do, sitting in a chair facing a wall of unread and accusatory books.) However if you don't read it slowly, you'll regret it, as it will all race by far too quickly, you'll be left wanting more, and the only thing to do for it will be to read it again. Which I would do, if I were not already knee-deep in The Plague, which actually is on the list even though it is not nearly as enjoyable as Gatsby.

The Great Gatsby is ultimately a tragedy, a beautifully wrought tragedy. It paints a not too flattering picture of the American Dream through a story as layered as it is simple, as off-putting as it is charming. It is one of those rare books that stays with you after you have put it down. I find that I am warming to it even now, becoming more fond of the characters, appreciating the storyline more.... Yes, I do think I will read this book again before the summer is over.

The Great Gatsby is an American classic. If no one made you read it in high school (or if they did, and you can't remember it anyway), you should go read it now. If you do, look for the authorized text, which corrects some annoying mistakes in previous versions. And please, above all, read it slowly. ( )
1 vote greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Perhaps the best book ever written. ( )
  coffeebite | Sep 14, 2014 |
I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

There is the convoluted moral logic, simultaneously Romantic and Machiavellian, by which the most epically crooked character in the book is the one we are commanded to admire. There’s the command itself: the controlling need to tell us what to think, both in and about the book. There’s the blanket embrace of that great American delusion by which wealth, poverty, and class itself stem from private virtue and vice. There’s Fitzgerald’s unthinking commitment to a gender order so archaic as to be Premodern: corrupt woman occasioning the fall of man. There is, relatedly, the travesty of his female characters—single parenthesis every one, thoughtless and thin. (Don’t talk to me about the standards of his time; the man hell-bent on being the voice of his generation was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, Gertrude Stein, and Virginia Woolf, not to mention the great groundswell of activists who achieved the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Yet here he is in A Short Autobiography: “Women learn best not from books or from their own dreams but from reality and from contact with first-class men.”)
added by danielx | editVulture, Kathryn Schultz (Jul 4, 2013)

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME.

Still the brightest boy in the class, Scott Fitzgerald holds up his hand. It is noticed that his literary trousers are longer, less bell-bottomed, but still precious.
added by Shortride | editTime (May 11, 1925)

"Fantastic proof that chivalry, of a sort, is not dead."
added by GYKM | editLife (May 7, 1925)

A curious book, a mystical, glamourous story of today. It takes a deeper cut at life than hitherto has been enjoyed by Mr. Fitzgerald. He writes well-he always has-for he writes naturally, and his sense of form is becoming perfected.

F. Scott Fitzgeraldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schürenberg, WalterPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scourby, AlexanderNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soosaar, EnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolff, Lutz-W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
      If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
      I must have you!"
—Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
ONCE AGAIN
TO
ZELDA
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
All right ... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens, where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me. "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
I rented a house ... on that slender riotous island which extends itself due east of new york -- where there are, among other natural curiosities, two unusual formations of land. Twenty miles from the city a pair of enormous eggs, identical in contour and seprated only by a courtesy bay, jut out into the most domesticated body of salt water in the Western hemisphere, the great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound. They are not perfect ovals ... but their physical resembalnce must be a source of perpetual wonder to the gullsthat fly overhead.
This work is the book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743273567, Paperback)

In 1922, F. Scott Fitzgerald announced his decision to write "something new--something extraordinary and beautiful and simple + intricately patterned." That extraordinary, beautiful, intricately patterned, and above all, simple novel became The Great Gatsby, arguably Fitzgerald's finest work and certainly the book for which he is best known. A portrait of the Jazz Age in all of its decadence and excess, Gatsby captured the spirit of the author's generation and earned itself a permanent place in American mythology. Self-made, self-invented millionaire Jay Gatsby embodies some of Fitzgerald's--and his country's--most abiding obsessions: money, ambition, greed, and the promise of new beginnings. "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning--" Gatsby's rise to glory and eventual fall from grace becomes a kind of cautionary tale about the American Dream.

It's also a love story, of sorts, the narrative of Gatsby's quixotic passion for Daisy Buchanan. The pair meet five years before the novel begins, when Daisy is a legendary young Louisville beauty and Gatsby an impoverished officer. They fall in love, but while Gatsby serves overseas, Daisy marries the brutal, bullying, but extremely rich Tom Buchanan. After the war, Gatsby devotes himself blindly to the pursuit of wealth by whatever means--and to the pursuit of Daisy, which amounts to the same thing. "Her voice is full of money," Gatsby says admiringly, in one of the novel's more famous descriptions. His millions made, Gatsby buys a mansion across Long Island Sound from Daisy's patrician East Egg address, throws lavish parties, and waits for her to appear. When she does, events unfold with all the tragic inevitability of a Greek drama, with detached, cynical neighbor Nick Carraway acting as chorus throughout. Spare, elegantly plotted, and written in crystalline prose, The Great Gatsby is as perfectly satisfying as the best kind of poem.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:18 -0400)

Jay Gatsby had once loved beautiful, spoiled Daisy Buchanan, then lost her to a rich boy. Now, mysteriously wealthy, he is ready to risk everything to woo her back. This is the definitive, textually accurate edition of a classic of twentieth-century literature, The Great Gatsby. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan has been acclaimed by generations of readers. But the first edition contained a number of errors resulting from Fitzgerald's extensive revisions and a rushed production schedule.… (more)

Legacy Library: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's legacy profile.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's author page.

Seven editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182636, 0140007466, 0141023430, 0582823102, 0141037636, 024195147X, 1922079553

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible