The Great Gatsby (Collins Classics) by F.…

The Great Gatsby (Collins Classics) (original 1925; edition 1925)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

47,50079612 (3.88)3 / 916
Member:rory1000
Title:The Great Gatsby (Collins Classics)
Authors:F. Scott Fitzgerald
Info:HarperPress (2010), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, off the list, 2013 Fiction
Rating:***

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925)

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (themephi, sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play (A Jazz Age Mystery #1) by Ellen Mansoor Collier (TomWaitsTables)
    The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Also narrated by a shadowy "outsider" figure and set in the glamorous 1920s.
    Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (FFortuna)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (kara.shamy)
    An Unfinished Season by Ward Just (elenchus)
    elenchus: Unfinished Season is set in the 1950s in and around Chicago, but elsewise an interesting parallel to The Great Gatsby in terms of setting and basic plot: class and manners among the society elite, and a young man wrestling with changes in family, caste, and personal relations.… (more)
    Look at Me by Anita Brookner (KayCliff)
    The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In the afterword of The Other Typist, Suzanne Rindell acknowledges that her work was inspired by The Great Gatsby.
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (LottaBerling)
    A Whistling Woman by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    Trust by Cynthia Ozick (citygirl)
    A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (FFortuna)
    Entitlement by Jonathan Bennett (ShelfMonkey)
    Kleider machen Leute by Gottfried Keller (chwiggy)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (chwiggy)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (mountebank)
    Netherland by Joseph O'Neill (heidialice)
    Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (Sylak)
    A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh (SanctiSpiritus)
    The Doll by Bolesław Prus (sirparsifal)

1920s (1)
Unread books (1,100)

English (755)  Spanish (12)  Italian (6)  French (4)  Swedish (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (793)
Maybe more like 3.5 stars... But I have some ruminating to do yet...

I hadn't read this since high school, & was glad for the chance to re-read it for Book Club.

I had forgotten so much of the romance; only the memory of the corruption stayed with me.

And to consider James Gatz's reinvention of himself now as an adult, not a naive idealistic teenager, there is more breadth of vision to let me see some of the beauty in his youthful determination. Of course, the end is the same - the foolish games of the reckless ends in death. Yet this time I find myself feeling very sympathetic toward Gatsby & Wilson, & much like Nick, wanting to distance myself from such feckless people.

The excesses of the Roaring Twenties still resound as excessive today. People still go to parties to be seen. People still act & look interchangeable so as to seem to fit in. And all of it still makes me queasy as it did the first time I read this. But having lived through & past the rush of one's own personal excessive 20s, there's room for sympathy, poignancy, & connection to this small-town boy playing at being all things to all people. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
This was my first time reading the book. Fitzgerald's incredible insight into the "roaring twenties" is alone a great reason to take it up. With excellent character development and fascinating parallels throughout the novel, the brilliance of the author and his story lingers on. Fitzgerald's incredible wordsmithing and impressive vocabulary leaves him as one of the great novelists of the 1900's. ( )
  KameronEdenfield | May 13, 2016 |
I love this book, maybe because I studied it years ago, but I still find it evocative. ( )
1 vote nigeljaycooper | May 11, 2016 |
A love story like all great ones it's also a sad one. Love sick Gatsby pursues his love Daisy. Daisy is married to Tom after she couldnt wait for Gatsby anymore and has a daughter. Tom married to Daisy but doesnt respect or love her much and keeps Myrtle as his mistress. Nick, Daisy's cousin finds a friend in Gatsby and is the only one and true one who stays with Gatsby. And also story is narrated by him.
I couldnt relate to the 20's at all. I had the same feeling of loosing connection while i was reading "the breakfast at Tiffany" too. Some of the conversations were too touchy and i liked them too... But the story was ok overall. ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
Read
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |
"The Great Gatsby" is in form no more than a glorified anecdote, and not too probable at that

What gives the story distinction is something quite different from the management of the action or the handling of the characters; it is the charm and beauty of the writing.
added by danielx | editChicago Tribune, HL Mencken (Jan 23, 2015)

I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

There is the convoluted moral logic, simultaneously Romantic and Machiavellian, by which the most epically crooked character in the book is the one we are commanded to admire. There’s the command itself: the controlling need to tell us what to think, both in and about the book. There’s the blanket embrace of that great American delusion by which wealth, poverty, and class itself stem from private virtue and vice. There’s Fitzgerald’s unthinking commitment to a gender order so archaic as to be Premodern: corrupt woman occasioning the fall of man. There is, relatedly, the travesty of his female characters—single parenthesis every one, thoughtless and thin. (Don’t talk to me about the standards of his time; the man hell-bent on being the voice of his generation was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, Gertrude Stein, and Virginia Woolf, not to mention the great groundswell of activists who achieved the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Yet here he is in A Short Autobiography: “Women learn best not from books or from their own dreams but from reality and from contact with first-class men.”)
added by danielx | editVulture, Kathryn Schultz (Jul 4, 2013)

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME.

Jay Gatsby, el caballero que reina sobre West Egg, el anfitrión de las noches sin tregua, pero también el triunfador marcado por el trágico sino de una soledad no pretendida, es el arquetipo de esos años veinte que se iniciaron con la Prohibición y discurrieron en el gangsterismo y la corrupción política organizada. Protagonista de una década que culminaría con la catástrofe de 1929, su imagen de esplendor no hace sino anunciar un drama inevitable. Triunfo de perpetua juventud, brillantez animada por el exceso, fueron también las constantes de la vida de Francis Scott Fitzgerald, quien nos ofrece en El gran Gatsby una de sus obras mayores.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Still the brightest boy in the class, Scott Fitzgerald holds up his hand. It is noticed that his literary trousers are longer, less bell-bottomed, but still precious.
added by Shortride | editTime (May 11, 1925)

F. Scott Fitzgeraldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tanner, TonyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tournier, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tredell, NicolasEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolff, Lutz-W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
      If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
      I must have you!"
—Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
ONCE AGAIN
TO
ZELDA
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
All right ... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens, where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me. "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
I rented a house ... on that slender riotous island which extends itself due east of new york -- where there are, among other natural curiosities, two unusual formations of land. Twenty miles from the city a pair of enormous eggs, identical in contour and seprated only by a courtesy bay, jut out into the most domesticated body of salt water in the Western hemisphere, the great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound. They are not perfect ovals ... but their physical resembalnce must be a source of perpetual wonder to the gullsthat fly overhead.
This work is the book.
Wordsworth Classics publication of "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, KS3 Success Workbook Maths Levels 5-8, and "Driving Democracy: Do Power-Sharing Institutions Work?" by Norris, Pippa were falsely combined. This seemed to be driven by the ISBNs.
[R.L. 7.3, 8 pts]
Set in the 1920s, this is the tragic love story of Jay Gatsby, a dashing, enigmatic millionaire, obsessed with an elusive, spoiled young woman, Daisy Buchanan.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743273567, Paperback)

In 1922, F. Scott Fitzgerald announced his decision to write "something new--something extraordinary and beautiful and simple + intricately patterned." That extraordinary, beautiful, intricately patterned, and above all, simple novel became The Great Gatsby, arguably Fitzgerald's finest work and certainly the book for which he is best known. A portrait of the Jazz Age in all of its decadence and excess, Gatsby captured the spirit of the author's generation and earned itself a permanent place in American mythology. Self-made, self-invented millionaire Jay Gatsby embodies some of Fitzgerald's--and his country's--most abiding obsessions: money, ambition, greed, and the promise of new beginnings. "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning--" Gatsby's rise to glory and eventual fall from grace becomes a kind of cautionary tale about the American Dream.

It's also a love story, of sorts, the narrative of Gatsby's quixotic passion for Daisy Buchanan. The pair meet five years before the novel begins, when Daisy is a legendary young Louisville beauty and Gatsby an impoverished officer. They fall in love, but while Gatsby serves overseas, Daisy marries the brutal, bullying, but extremely rich Tom Buchanan. After the war, Gatsby devotes himself blindly to the pursuit of wealth by whatever means--and to the pursuit of Daisy, which amounts to the same thing. "Her voice is full of money," Gatsby says admiringly, in one of the novel's more famous descriptions. His millions made, Gatsby buys a mansion across Long Island Sound from Daisy's patrician East Egg address, throws lavish parties, and waits for her to appear. When she does, events unfold with all the tragic inevitability of a Greek drama, with detached, cynical neighbor Nick Carraway acting as chorus throughout. Spare, elegantly plotted, and written in crystalline prose, The Great Gatsby is as perfectly satisfying as the best kind of poem.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

Jay Gatsby had once loved beautiful, spoiled Daisy Buchanan, then lost her to a rich boy. Now, mysteriously wealthy, he is ready to risk everything to woo her back. This is the definitive, textually accurate edition of a classic of twentieth-century literature, The Great Gatsby. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan has been acclaimed by generations of readers. But the first edition contained a number of errors resulting from Fitzgerald's extensive revisions and a rushed production schedule.… (more)

Legacy Library: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's legacy profile.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's author page.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182636, 0140007466, 0141023430, 0582823102, 0141037636, 024195147X, 1922079553, 0734306865

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,913,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible