The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby (original 1925; edition 1995)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Matthew J. Bruccoli (Foreword)

43,39767714 (3.9)3 / 752
Member:tonyisaway
Title:The Great Gatsby
Authors:F. Scott Fitzgerald
Other authors:Matthew J. Bruccoli (Foreword)
Info:Scribner (1995), Paperback, 216 pages
Rating:***

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925)

1920s (1)
Unread books (1,040)
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (themephi, sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Also narrated by a shadowy "outsider" figure and set in the glamorous 1920s.
    Trust by Cynthia Ozick (citygirl)
    Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play by Ellen Mansoor Collier (one-horse.library)
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (LottaBerling)
    An Unfinished Season by Ward Just (elenchus)
    elenchus: Unfinished Season is set in the 1950s in and around Chicago, but elsewise an interesting parallel to The Great Gatsby in terms of setting and basic plot: class and manners among the society elite, and a young man wrestling with changes in family, caste, and personal relations.… (more)
    A Whistling Woman by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (mountebank)
    A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (FFortuna)
    Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (FFortuna)
    The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In the afterword of The Other Typist, Suzanne Rindell acknowledges that her work was inspired by The Great Gatsby.
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (kara.shamy)
    Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (Sylak)
    Netherland by Joseph O'Neill (heidialice)
    A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh (SanctiSpiritus)
    The Doll by Bolesław Prus (sirparsifal)
    The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon (arrwa)
    Entitlement by Jonathan Bennett (ShelfMonkey)
    The Count of Monte Cristo (abridged ∙ Bantam Classic) by Alexandre Dumas (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: The story of a man with a mysterious past and wealth, consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Another great story about never giving up on love, fighting against the odds, and surviving economic 'classism'.

English (641)  Spanish (11)  Italian (6)  French (4)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (675)
When I say short review, I mean short.
Plot: 5 stars. I liked the story line and how everything tied together, especially with all the things we didn't know at first and learned toward the end.
Characters: 5 stars. These characters were original and funny, but they were their own. They knew what they did and their purposes.

Overall: 5 stars
Also, in case nobody has yet watched the 2013 movie, it does follow the book quite closely. It's actually a fantastic version! ( )
  ashleyjellison | Jul 28, 2014 |
Perhaps one of the most overrated books in American literature. Mildly entertaining with an overall laziness that makes it seem phoned-in. ( )
1 vote scott.bradley | Jul 24, 2014 |
I enjoy this book every time I read it. Positively lyrical writing, wonderfully crafted characters, and a good story play into that, I'm sure. There's just something special here…

I also have to admit that I am finding it a bit unsettling this time around. For all the lyrical beauty, this book is incredibly dystopian. ( )
  WorthyWoman | Jul 23, 2014 |
Excellent book. I'm quite glad they made it into a movie, even though the book is WAY better. Definitely a must read outside of the classroom. Even if you read it for school, read it again so you can actually enjoy it instead of over analyzing it. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
  aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

There is the convoluted moral logic, simultaneously Romantic and Machiavellian, by which the most epically crooked character in the book is the one we are commanded to admire. There’s the command itself: the controlling need to tell us what to think, both in and about the book. There’s the blanket embrace of that great American delusion by which wealth, poverty, and class itself stem from private virtue and vice. There’s Fitzgerald’s unthinking commitment to a gender order so archaic as to be Premodern: corrupt woman occasioning the fall of man. There is, relatedly, the travesty of his female characters—single parenthesis every one, thoughtless and thin. (Don’t talk to me about the standards of his time; the man hell-bent on being the voice of his generation was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, Gertrude Stein, and Virginia Woolf, not to mention the great groundswell of activists who achieved the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Yet here he is in A Short Autobiography: “Women learn best not from books or from their own dreams but from reality and from contact with first-class men.”)
added by danielx | editVulture, Kathryn Schultz (Jul 4, 2013)

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME.

Still the brightest boy in the class, Scott Fitzgerald holds up his hand. It is noticed that his literary trousers are longer, less bell-bottomed, but still precious.
added by Shortride | editTime (May 11, 1925)

"Fantastic proof that chivalry, of a sort, is not dead."
added by GYKM | editLife (May 7, 1925)

A curious book, a mystical, glamourous story of today. It takes a deeper cut at life than hitherto has been enjoyed by Mr. Fitzgerald. He writes well-he always has-for he writes naturally, and his sense of form is becoming perfected.

F. Scott Fitzgeraldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schürenberg, WalterPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scourby, AlexanderNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soosaar, EnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolff, Lutz-W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
      If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
      I must have you!"
—Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
ONCE AGAIN
TO
ZELDA
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
All right ... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens, where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me. "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
I rented a house ... on that slender riotous island which extends itself due east of new york -- where there are, among other natural curiosities, two unusual formations of land. Twenty miles from the city a pair of enormous eggs, identical in contour and seprated only by a courtesy bay, jut out into the most domesticated body of salt water in the Western hemisphere, the great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound. They are not perfect ovals ... but their physical resembalnce must be a source of perpetual wonder to the gullsthat fly overhead.
This work is the book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743273567, Paperback)

In 1922, F. Scott Fitzgerald announced his decision to write "something new--something extraordinary and beautiful and simple + intricately patterned." That extraordinary, beautiful, intricately patterned, and above all, simple novel became The Great Gatsby, arguably Fitzgerald's finest work and certainly the book for which he is best known. A portrait of the Jazz Age in all of its decadence and excess, Gatsby captured the spirit of the author's generation and earned itself a permanent place in American mythology. Self-made, self-invented millionaire Jay Gatsby embodies some of Fitzgerald's--and his country's--most abiding obsessions: money, ambition, greed, and the promise of new beginnings. "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning--" Gatsby's rise to glory and eventual fall from grace becomes a kind of cautionary tale about the American Dream.

It's also a love story, of sorts, the narrative of Gatsby's quixotic passion for Daisy Buchanan. The pair meet five years before the novel begins, when Daisy is a legendary young Louisville beauty and Gatsby an impoverished officer. They fall in love, but while Gatsby serves overseas, Daisy marries the brutal, bullying, but extremely rich Tom Buchanan. After the war, Gatsby devotes himself blindly to the pursuit of wealth by whatever means--and to the pursuit of Daisy, which amounts to the same thing. "Her voice is full of money," Gatsby says admiringly, in one of the novel's more famous descriptions. His millions made, Gatsby buys a mansion across Long Island Sound from Daisy's patrician East Egg address, throws lavish parties, and waits for her to appear. When she does, events unfold with all the tragic inevitability of a Greek drama, with detached, cynical neighbor Nick Carraway acting as chorus throughout. Spare, elegantly plotted, and written in crystalline prose, The Great Gatsby is as perfectly satisfying as the best kind of poem.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:18 -0400)

Jay Gatsby had once loved beautiful, spoiled Daisy Buchanan, then lost her to a rich boy. Now, mysteriously wealthy, he is ready to risk everything to woo her back. This is the definitive, textually accurate edition of a classic of twentieth-century literature, The Great Gatsby. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan has been acclaimed by generations of readers. But the first edition contained a number of errors resulting from Fitzgerald's extensive revisions and a rushed production schedule.… (more)

Legacy Library: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's legacy profile.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's author page.

Seven editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182636, 0140007466, 0141023430, 0582823102, 0141037636, 024195147X, 1922079553

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,694,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible