The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby (original 1925; edition 1999)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

58,74196714 (3.87)3 / 1170
Jay Gatsby had once loved beautiful, spoiled Daisy Buchanan, then lost her to a rich boy. Now, mysteriously wealthy, he is ready to risk everything to woo her back. This is the definitive, textually accurate edition of a classic of twentieth-century literature, The Great Gatsby. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan has been acclaimed by generations of readers. But the first edition contained a number of errors resulting from Fitzgerald's extensive revisions and a rushed production schedule.… (more)
Member:catthebooklady
Title:The Great Gatsby
Authors:F. Scott Fitzgerald
Info:Scribner (1999), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 180 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Author) (1925)

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (themephi, sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play by Ellen Mansoor Collier (TomWaitsTables)
    The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Also narrated by a shadowy "outsider" figure and set in the glamorous 1920s.
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (chwiggy)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (kara.shamy)
    Look at Me by Anita Brookner (KayCliff)
    The Red and the Black by Stendhal (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Shady social upstarts rising to prominence in societies dealing with fundamental class upheaval and entertaining romantic aspirations outside their traditional spheres.
    Garden by the Sea by Mercè Rodoreda (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Garden by the Sea is set in same period & similar milieu & leaves behind a deeper impression.
    The Spoils of Poynton by Henry James (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: similarly has a peripheral narrator showing rich people behaving badly about some of the strangest things
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (LottaBerling)
    The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In the afterword of The Other Typist, Suzanne Rindell acknowledges that her work was inspired by The Great Gatsby.
    Trust by Cynthia Ozick (citygirl)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (mountebank)
    A Whistling Woman by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    Kleider machen Leute by Gottfried Keller (chwiggy)
    An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Ten times longer, a hundred times harder to read, and a thousand times greater than Fitzgerald's lame and hysterical melodrama. Published only eight months later and nowadays largely forgotten, Dreiser's magnum opus is a much more powerful depiction of the rich and poor in America of the 1920s.… (more)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: This book features a well-off family, pillars of the community, taking things to quite tragic lengths. It follows an African-American family and so adds colorism and racism to the mix.
    An Unfinished Season: A Novel by Ward Just (elenchus)
    elenchus: Unfinished Season is set in the 1950s in and around Chicago, but elsewise an interesting parallel to The Great Gatsby in terms of setting and basic plot: class and manners among the society elite, and a young man wrestling with changes in family, caste, and personal relations.… (more)
    A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (FFortuna)
    Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (Sylak)

1920s (1)
Read (3)

English (920)  Spanish (16)  Italian (9)  French (5)  Swedish (4)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (966)
Oltre lo sfarzo, oltre la luce, oltre tutto ciò che brilla e che sembra voler allontanare ogni frammento di oscurità per timore di cosa potrebbe celarvisi, resta solo Gatsby, nudo con se stesso, perso tra i suoi fantasmi, tra l'essere e l'apparire, alla continua ricerca di un sé che non sempre è facile rinvenire oltre le maschere che ci si impone. A volte nemmeno l'amore sembra riuscite a farle cadere. A volte ci si ritrova solo nella sconfitta, nella perdita, nella morte che tutto svela...
  Carlomascellani73 | Oct 30, 2020 |
I first tried to read this book when I was in seventh grade but did not quite understand what was going on. In ninth grade I revisited it and absolutely loved it. The storyline is so beautifully written that it makes you want to live in the days of Mr. Gatsby. It's a tragedy that I will remember forever. The main character, Jay Gatsby, lived a lavish life with luxurious things. All of it didn't matter to him as much as a woman named Daisy Buchanan. He was motivated to become wealthy because of her. He had met Daisy when he was younger about to leave for war and they fell deeply in love. Daisy waited for him to come home and marry, but she eventually married a wealthy bachelor named Tom Buchanan. The book is narrated by Nick Carraway, an aspiring banker who is also Daisy's cousin. I would definitely recommend reading this book. ( )
  nesialex | Oct 28, 2020 |
The Great Gatsby has been on my TBR list for years, and I finally got around to it via audiobook read by Tim Robbins. The story is tragic yet beautifully written, and Robbins does a great job acting the part of each of the characters. My only complaint of his narration is that sometimes his voice lowers at the end of his sentences, thus making it hard to hear the words so that I had to rewind several times so as not to miss parts of the story. I solved the problem by turning up the volume a bit more than I’m used to listening to it. Otherwise, he is a good voice actor who gives the book a worthy audio performance. Even though I haven’t seen the movie, I saw the trailer enough times that Gatsby will forever look like Leonardo DiCaprio in my mind. 3 stars. ( )
  LoriFox | Oct 24, 2020 |
I own this book and watched the movie, but never got around to reading it.
  ewarrington | Oct 23, 2020 |
It seems that many of my school peer-group read The Great Gatsby in high school or college. Somehow, I never did. And for the subsequent 35 years I never got around to F. Scott Fitzgerald. I’d run across his name or a reference to his books when reading other authors of his time and just figured I’d get to him sometime or the other. Then the Great Gatsby movie came out (again?) and everyone was talking about him again and I thought about reading him again – I didn’t see the movie. But I had other things to read and the years slipped by until Thornwillow Press announced their edition on Kickstarter. And, like often happens with books and authors further down my “To Be Acquired & Read” list, the happy chance of finding a nice edition at the right price point bumped it up the list. As I have done with all the titles I’ve acquired from Thornwillow thus far, I reserved a copy in the paper-wrapper state, which is an amazing value for the money ($95!), and more in line with my current book budget than most private press books out their right now. And it got bumped up to “read next” once it was in my hands because it was an illustrated letterpress edition that seemed to really want to be read.

I fear I may have waited too late in my life to really enjoy Fitzgerald. I haven’t gone out of my way to research him but my vague impression is: white, alcoholic, misogynistic male writer type who may very well have not given his wife Zelda as much credit for his writing as she was due. While the publishing industry remains enamoured of the type, I’m pretty much over them. If this were a library book, I’d probably not give it a reread. My first impression is that once was enough. But since I have this fine press edition, I may give it another chance sometime down the road just for the joy of reading a book made with care, craft, and love. There is just so much to read and so little time in a reading life. And I’d be more tempted to give one of his other books a try before coming back to this one. Maybe sandwiching my reading of Fitzgerald between the brilliant Proust and Mercé Rodoreda writing of the same gilded times affected my opinion of the novel.

There were some redeeming factors in the novel, however. I’m sensitive to place and my surroundings and I like writers that spend time describing the settings and environs of their story. While I’ve been in New York City a couple of times (terrifying for this suburbanite), I’ve never spent any time on the island. But this passage

"Over the great bridge, with the sunlight through the girders making a constant flicker upon the moving cars, with the city rising up across the river in white heaps and sugar lumps all built with a wish out of non-olfactory money. The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world."

made me want to explore that transition from Long Island to the island of Manhattan. The places in the novel are really the only “characters” I could get behind. Living as I do in an area where older homes are being torn down and replaced with McMansions, I could relate to the image of Nick sitting in his rented bungalow next to Gatsby’s mansion, and the discontinuity that causes in the perception of a neighborhood or community. I have to admit that Gatsby’s parties did remind me of my high school days when I would often find myself at parties — on a much smaller scale, however — where neither I nor many of the other guests knew the host but were happy to have a place to be and to maybe get a free drink. I don’t miss those days, however.

I feel for the women characters in the book and given the behavior of the highest authority in the land right now, it seems that many wealthy men’s behavior and attitude towards women haven’t changed much. With money and privilege, Gatsby feels that he is entitled even to his ridiculous love fantasy coming true. But the house of gilt-edged cards comes down, albeit in a way that is not really Gatsby’s fault.

As I said, it took the appearance of the affordable ($95!) paper-wrapped state of Thornwillow Press’ edition to finally get me around to reading Fitzgerald. And despite the novel not really being my cup of tea, the Thornwillow edition has much to recommend it. The art deco design on the wrapper is spot on for the novel and quite beautiful with the gold-stamped titling. I also liked the choice of illustrations for the book as it accentuates the feeling of place that permeates the novel and that was the thing I appreciated most. I will say that illustrator Mary Etcher’s and Peter Pennoyer’s idea of what Nick’s “cottage” looked like was a lot nicer than the impression I got from reading. The difference between the mansion and the bungalow is often a lot more dramatic here in Southern California coastal towns. Ah, well. That’s a small nit. The concept of using place illustrations, many of which are still there today, reminds me of Arion Press’ edition of Edith Wharton’s The Age of Innocence, where photographs were used, and which I enjoyed for the same reasons. These illustrations anchor the novels securely in place while the characters and their actions stormed through them.

There is an amusing passage in the book about books and the way people perceive them and the people that have them. At one of Gatsby’s parties, Nick and his lady friend step into the library, where the following dialogue ensues:

“What do you think?” he demanded impetuously.
“About what?”
He waved his hand toward the bookshelves.
“About that. As a matter of fact you needn’t bother to ascertain. I ascertained. They’re real.”
“The books?”
He nodded.
“Absolutely real–have pages and everything. I thought they’d be a nice durable cardboard. Matter of fact, they’re absolutely real. Pages and–Here! Lemme show you.”
Taking our skepticism for granted, he rushed to the bookcases and returned with Volume One of the “Stoddard Lectures.”
“See!” he cried triumphantly. “It’s a bona-fide piece of printed matter. It fooled me. This fella’s a regular Belasco. It’s a triumph. what thoroughness! What realism! Knew when to stop, too–didn’t cut the pages. But what do you want? What do you expect?”

Horrifying to this “reader”! As a quirky nod to that, Luke Pontifell, proprietor of the press, decided not to cut the pages of the paper-wrapped edition so as to leave that to the owner of the book. I enjoyed the exercise, as I do when I find a treasure of an old book with uncut pages. [Note: I bought a hundred-year-old 40-volume set of Balzac a couple of years ago that I am slowly making my way through. I have to cut those pages as I read too. While it makes it a jewel of a purchase for me, I feel a bit of sorrow for old books that are never read until they fall into this reader’s hands.]

I have four Thornwillow Press editions and I feel that with every title their presswork is getting better. There is occasional unevenness of impression and inking but this is getting less and less as the craftspeople get more and more experience on the press. Luke recently made a comment on a blog post that when he needed printers he couldn’t simply put an ad in the paper and get them, they had to be trained up through the work. So maybe we are seeing those craftspeople growing into their craft.

I would like to see credit given to the contributors, like the illustrator, on the title page. Since I’ve made this same comment on some of their other editions, it seems to be an intentional design feature(?) of the press to bury it somewhere else in the edition.

As always, I am extremely happy that a press like Thornwillow is around today. Not many presses are taking on the large prose texts that Thornwillow is tackling, and certainly not with the multiple states that provide a range of price points. Almost every edition they announce stirs up my “fear of missing out,” especially at under $100 for a letterpress printed novel. I have to be completely uninterested in the title for me to not be tempted.

AVAILABILITY: As of this writing, all states are available on the website: paper-wrapper, half-cloth, half-leather, and full leather.

This review complete with photos is avaiable on my blog at www.thewholebookexperience.com
  jveezer | Oct 21, 2020 |
The Great Gatsby is a romance novel that written by American Author F.Scott Fitzgerald.This novel is talk about the New Yorker in 1900s.The Great Gatsby is a classic piece of American fiction. It is a novel full of triumph and tragedy.Nick Carraway is the narrator, or storyteller, of The Great Gatsby, but he is not the story's protagonist, or main character. Instead, Jay Gatsby is the protagonist of the novel that bears his name. Tom Buchanan is the book's antagonist, opposing Gatsby's attempts to get what he wants: Tom's wife Daisy.

The weakness of this book is they using the classic languange and a little difficult to understand.The weakness also about Gatsby affection to Daisy,He spends that money on lavish parties in the hopes that she will show up.When she finally spends time with him, for the first time in many years, he naively believes that she will leave Tom for him but,unfortunately she is not.

However,the strength of this book is the writer are using the unique title so the reader are feel sympathy and curious about it, also the characteristic about Jay Gatsby that teach the reader many lesson.

To conclude,this book is the very recommended book,especially High School students because Fitzgerald’s novel is a portal to the savage heart of the human spirit, and wonders at our enormous capacity to dream, to imagine, to hope and to persevere.
added by Billy_Kululu | editMedia Indonesia, Billy Kululu (Dec 2, 2016)

The great Gatsby is truly a romance book like no other.F.SCOTT.Switzgerald describing about the life of New Yorker in 1900s.This novel is very popular many students if high school are required by their teachers to read this book.The narrator of The Great Gatsby is a young man from Minnesota named Nick Carraway. He not only narrates the story but casts himself as the book’s author.As ive read about this book,Gatsby’s personality was nothing short of “gorgeous.”

moreover,the weakness about this book is hard to understand if u are not really pay attention on it.this novel is about a contradiction,Gatsby's idealism makes him blind.He doesn't see that Daisy can't have love and money, just money. Gatsby can't turn back time.He even doesn't see death coming toward him.

However,the strength of this book something quite different from others,it is the charm and beauty of writing,has many important meanings that should be learned early on in life.

To conclude,what i can say is don't be too obsessed just because you have so much money,money ain't last forever.but overall its a magnificent,fantastically, entertaining and enthralling story.
added by Nadilla-Syawie | editThe New York Times, Nadilla Syawie (Dec 1, 2016)

"The Great Gatsby" is in form no more than a glorified anecdote, and not too probable at that

What gives the story distinction is something quite different from the management of the action or the handling of the characters; it is the charm and beauty of the writing.
added by danielx | editChicago Tribune, HL Mencken (Jan 23, 2015)

I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

There is the convoluted moral logic, simultaneously Romantic and Machiavellian, by which the most epically crooked character in the book is the one we are commanded to admire. There’s the command itself: the controlling need to tell us what to think, both in and about the book. There’s the blanket embrace of that great American delusion by which wealth, poverty, and class itself stem from private virtue and vice. There’s Fitzgerald’s unthinking commitment to a gender order so archaic as to be Premodern: corrupt woman occasioning the fall of man. There is, relatedly, the travesty of his female characters—single parenthesis every one, thoughtless and thin. (Don’t talk to me about the standards of his time; the man hell-bent on being the voice of his generation was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, Gertrude Stein, and Virginia Woolf, not to mention the great groundswell of activists who achieved the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Yet here he is in A Short Autobiography: “Women learn best not from books or from their own dreams but from reality and from contact with first-class men.”)
added by danielx | editVulture, Kathryn Schultz (Jul 4, 2013)

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME.

Fitzgerald, F. ScottAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a concordance

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
      If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
      I must have you!"
—Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
ONCE AGAIN
TO
ZELDA
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
All right ... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens, where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me. "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
I rented a house ... on that slender riotous island which extends itself due east of new york -- where there are, among other natural curiosities, two unusual formations of land. Twenty miles from the city a pair of enormous eggs, identical in contour and seprated only by a courtesy bay, jut out into the most domesticated body of salt water in the Western hemisphere, the great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound. They are not perfect ovals ... but their physical resembalnce must be a source of perpetual wonder to the gullsthat fly overhead.
This work is the book.
Wordsworth Classics publication of "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, KS3 Success Workbook Maths Levels 5-8, and "Driving Democracy: Do Power-Sharing Institutions Work?" by Norris, Pippa were falsely combined. This seemed to be driven by the ISBNs.

[R.L. 7.3, 8 pts]
Set in the 1920s, this is the tragic love story of Jay Gatsby, a dashing, enigmatic millionaire, obsessed with an elusive, spoiled young woman, Daisy Buchanan.
New neighbor is rich
and throws wild parties for friends.
The American dream.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

F. Scott Fitzgerald's book The Great Gatsby: A Graphic Novel Adaptation is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182636, 0140007466, 0141023430, 0141037636, 024195147X, 1922079553, 0734306865

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832564, 1907832572

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,788,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible