Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology by…

Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Bruce Sterling (Editor), Abbe Lubell

Member:HanJie
Title:Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology
Authors:Bruce Sterling (Editor)
Other authors:Abbe Lubell
Info:New York : Arbor House, c1986.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:cyberpunk, science fiction, anthology, william gibson, rudy rucker, tom maddox, pat cadigan, marc laidlaw, james patrick kelly, greg bear, lewis shiner, Paul De Fillippo

Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology by Bruce Sterling (Editor) (1986)

Recently added bymakaaron, Hegemellman, wespector, flabsta, rudidorn, Maddz, haruki63, boelsner, private library, markhagner

So I enjoy cyberpunk and I also find it, as a genre, a bit ridiculous. That said, doesn’t mean I don’t kinda want to wear all black leather and reflective sunglasses and get a bunch of piercings and UV visible tattoos for about 5 minutes after I put the book down. Individual stories however I enjoy quite a lot. Cyberpunk’s downfall in my mind is, secondarily, that much of it is from 1980-1995 so some tech ideas now seem silly, but primarily because the first cyberpunk thing I read was a Shadowrun core rulebook. Anyway, it’s a solid anthology and my fav story was Solstice by James Patrick Kelly.

Moral: don’t first expose yourself to a sub-genre by reading a sub-sub-genre that includes Elf Street Shaman Deckers. ( )
  Achromatic | Feb 16, 2014 |
There aren't enough stars for this one. One of the most significant books of the eighties, filled with a who's who of the cyberpunk pantheon, from Lewis Shiner (Till Human Voices Wake us) to a joint effort by Sterling and William Gibson (Red Star, Winter Orbit). ( )
  Lyndatrue | Nov 27, 2013 |
"Certain central themes spring up repeatedly in cyberpunk. The theme of body invasion: prosthetic limbs, implanted circuitry, cosmetic surgery, genetic alteration. The even more powerful theme of mind invasion: brain-computer interfaces, artificial intelligence, neurochemistry - techniques radically redefining the nature of humanity, the nature of self."

Although some of the information in Sterling's introduction went over my head, I do happen to agree with him regarding the genre's focus on the human condition. I think that's what I like so much about it. I still remember my first cyberpunk story, Think Like a Dinosaur by James Patrick Kelly, and how it hooked me from that very first page. I was drawn to this collection because Kelly has a story in it but there are several other well-knowns like William Gibson and Greg Bear too.

I enjoyed the wide variety of stories captured here - each was completely different from the others and yet still tonally similar. There are augmented soldiers, techno rockers, time-traveling historians and space-bound cosmonauts but I was particularly impressed to find surprises like gargoyles and merfolk in the mix.

If you like sci-fi, particularly cyberpunk, don't miss Mirrorshades! ( )
1 vote VictoriaPL | May 27, 2012 |

Lived up to its reputation. I'm not a wild-eyed enthusiast for cyberpunk (and William Gibson's story here, "The Gernsback Continuum", which rather lacks an ending, reminded me why not) but I'm always ready to be convinced by a good story, and there are loads of them in here. I think the only one I'd read before was Sterling and Gibson's "Red Star, Winter Orbit" which is actually rather moving and nostalgic, qualities one doesn't really associate with cyberpunk (though perhaps it qualifies because of the note of libertarian triumphalism on which it ends). I was particularly gripped by James Patrick Kelly's "Solstice", which mixes Stonehenge with sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, and father-daughter cloning. But apart from my doubts about the first story, there isn't a dud in the book. ( )
  nwhyte | Mar 5, 2008 |

Sterling, BruceContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brolli, DanieleEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Caronia, AntonioEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raffo, AureliaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,153,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible