Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading…

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading Rainbow Books) (edition 1995)

by Deborah Hopkinson

Member:WRamos
Title:Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading Rainbow Books)
Authors:Deborah Hopkinson
Info:Dragonfly Books (1995), Edition: 1, Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt by Deborah Hopkinson

A young girl named Clara is separated from her mother for 11 years because they both work on different plantations. One day, Clara overhears two other slaves talking about the Underground Railroad in the house where she is a seamstress. She then comes up with a secret map that is very hard and near impossible for her slave owners to detect; a map made on a quilt. I really liked how this book was written in conversational dialect. I loved Clara’s courage and I think is a great piece to go along with any lesson about African-American history and the Underground Railroad. This story was extremely powerful especially because I learned that slaves actually did create quilts to pass secrets along to their families, friends, etc. The illustrations were also beautifully done. The main message in this story is to never stop until you reach where you want to be. ( )
  jjones58 | Apr 24, 2014 |
SUMMARY-Clara gets moved to another plantation to live with her 'aunt' where instead of working in the cotton fields she gets to go inside the big house and learn to sew and that is her way to freedom, along with others who follow her...

PERSONAL REACTION-Great book , I would be inclined to believe that this could have actually happened, how are we to know ...

CLASSROOM EXTENSION-You could definitely use this in a history or even a government class lesson.

TAGS- HISTORIC REALISM FREEDOM SLAVES HISTORY
  PauletteHernandez | Mar 26, 2014 |
This story follows Sweet Clara as she learns to sew in the Big House, and then quilts a map to lead other slaves to freedom.

I loved the bright colors and vivid pictures. I also liked that the author used syntax and diction authentic to the time and geographic location.

Classroom Extensions:
1. Make a collage map of the school using magazine pages.
2. Proceed to use the map in pairs/teams in a trust building activity. One member on each team or pair will be responsible for leading the others out of the school for recess.
  JenniferSaville | Mar 24, 2014 |
Clara made a map of the land between her and freedom out of scraps of cloth to form a quilt. This story is very inspirational so i would read it to my student.(Black history month?) Grades 2-4
  CaseyKamps | Sep 24, 2013 |
Clara is a young slave girl who was raised on a plantation. She found the secrets in the quilts, that the women created, the messages for the underground railroad. This is part of history; it helps us to understand how things were back then and how some people were able to comminucate without speaking about the hidden underground railroad.
  aclemen1 | Apr 28, 2013 |

Deborah Hopkinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ransome, JamesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my father and in memory of my mother
-D.H.
For Emma Ransom, the first slave of Pattie and General Matt W. Ransom, and all the other Ransom slaves on Verona Plantation
-J.R.
Before I was even twelve years old, I got sent from North Farm to Home Plantation 'cause they needed another field hand.

Illus. in full color. As a seamstress in the Big House, Clara dreams of a reunion with her Momma, who lives on another plantation--and even of running away to freedom. Then she overhears two slaves talking about the Underground Railroad. In a flash of inspiration, Clara sees how she can use the cloth in her scrap bag to make a map of the land--a freedom quilt--that no master will ever suspect.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:54 -0400)

A young slave stitches a quilt with a map pattern which guides her to freedom in the North.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,697,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible