Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading…

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading Rainbow Books) (edition 1995)

by Deborah Hopkinson

Member:WRamos
Title:Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading Rainbow Books)
Authors:Deborah Hopkinson
Info:Dragonfly Books (1995), Edition: 1, Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt by Deborah Hopkinson

Summary: The book is about a girl and her aunt who she cares for so much. The little girl’s name is Clara and her Aunt that put together a quilt. This Quilt was known as “The Freedom Quilt”, a Quilt that was a map that she sewed together from the places that some of the other men had seen of the area around the place where she lived. This Quilt help many Slave get to Freedom when they use the Map on the Quilt to reach the Underground Railroad to Freedom.

Personal Reaction: The book is about a young Slave girl that made a Map on a Quilt, that helps many Slaves reach the Underground Railroad to Freedom.

Classroom Extension:
1. The Teacher can have the classroom make a quilt out of any type of cloth that they want to bring to the class to made the Quilt
2. The Teacher can also use different type of paper to make a paper Quilt, have every student contribute their piece of paper that they like to make it.
  Santiago_M. | Mar 28, 2015 |
Summary: A book about a girl and her aunt who she cares for so much. It is put together by a quilt that they both have put their time and heart into and soon her aunt becomes ill and this quilt becomes a saving grace for her.

Personal Reaction: A book with a lot of family love. Makes you think of the projects that I have had with my dad and the bonds that me and my gpas have had from working on cars to working on the farm.

Classroom Extension: Make a classroom quilt. A piece of cardboard paper for each student and make their contribution to the quilt of something that makes them feel free in life or something that they enjoy doing.
  estep13 | Mar 25, 2015 |
Summary:
Sweet Clara and The Freedom Quilt is about a little girl who lives with her "aunt" and they work as slaves. Clara started out working in the fields and she was definately not cut out for it. Her aunt decided that she would teach her how to sew and make quilts. She taught Clara and she knew how to quilt all kinds of different quilts. One night people were over at their house talking about the Underground Railroad and if only there was a map to help people get out. Clara got the idea to make this map with her quilting. She worked long and hard on quilting this map until finally it was time for them to leave. She left her quilt so others could use it to get free one day as well. She had the whole thing memorized anyway. They found their way out to freedom.

Personal Reaction:
I thought this was a really good story, and I have never heard it before. I found it very interesting and it is a very good way to show the story of the Underground Railroad to children.

Classroom Extensions:
1. You could make a class quilt. Have every student bring a piece of frabic from home that means something special to them or to their family and sew and quilt them all together to make a class quilt.
2. You could have your students make different maps of the classroom or of the school.
  KristenLaSorsa | Mar 25, 2015 |
Summary:
This is story is taken place in the deep south during the time of the Underground Railroad. The girl was moved to a new plantation and she was working in the field. Her aunt later taught her to sew and to alter clothing for the Big House. She heard about people trying to escape to the Underground Railroad but some have been captured and brought back and beaten. They said only if they had a map maybe they would have made it out of the plantation and to the Underground Railroad. So the girl made a quilt a map to the Underground Railroad.
Personal Reaction:
I love history and I liked learning about the Underground Railroad. I liked how they were very creative about making songs and stories about when to leave and when not to leave the plantation. I had also seen the George Washington plantation and the servants houses. He treated his slaves very good compared to what some people had treated them. He even let them gather honey and sell it on Sunday's for money when they were able to be set free.
Classroom Extension:
1) Have the student make their own quilt map out of construction paper.
2) Have the student learn a song they used as a sign that it was safe to travel such as " Go, Down Moses" (Let My People Go)
  lauren_hayes | Mar 25, 2015 |
Summary:
This book was about a young girl named Clara. She lived on the plantation and was a slave. But her Aunt wanted to teach her to sew instead of working outside. Clara learned to sew and make quilts, She made a quilt that moped out the way to get to the underground railroad. After that she followed her map with the help of her friend Jack. She found her mother and baby sister and led them to the underground railroad and they all were free at last.

Personal Reaction:
I think this was a really cool book that showed a different way that slaves may have gotten free. There is so many stories about the underground railroad and how people got there, but this one is a pretty interesting way!

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have the children try and make their own mini quilt, with the help of the teacher!
2. Have the students draw out a map of what they think would lead them to the underground railroad. ( )
  Braydon1010 | Mar 23, 2015 |

Deborah Hopkinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ransome, JamesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my father and in memory of my mother
-D.H.
For Emma Ransom, the first slave of Pattie and General Matt W. Ransom, and all the other Ransom slaves on Verona Plantation
-J.R.
Before I was even twelve years old, I got sent from North Farm to Home Plantation 'cause they needed another field hand.

Illus. in full color. As a seamstress in the Big House, Clara dreams of a reunion with her Momma, who lives on another plantation--and even of running away to freedom. Then she overhears two slaves talking about the Underground Railroad. In a flash of inspiration, Clara sees how she can use the cloth in her scrap bag to make a map of the land--a freedom quilt--that no master will ever suspect.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:54 -0400)

A young slave stitches a quilt with a map pattern which guides her to freedom in the North.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,730,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible