Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading…

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading Rainbow Books) (edition 1995)

by Deborah Hopkinson

Member:WRamos
Title:Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading Rainbow Books)
Authors:Deborah Hopkinson
Info:Dragonfly Books (1995), Edition: 1, Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt by Deborah Hopkinson

SUMMARY-Clara gets moved to another plantation to live with her 'aunt' where instead of working in the cotton fields she gets to go inside the big house and learn to sew and that is her way to freedom, along with others who follow her...

PERSONAL REACTION-Great book , I would be inclined to believe that this could have actually happened, how are we to know ...

CLASSROOM EXTENSION-You could definitely use this in a history or even a government class lesson.

TAGS- HISTORIC REALISM FREEDOM SLAVES HISTORY
  PauletteHernandez | Mar 26, 2014 |
This story follows Sweet Clara as she learns to sew in the Big House, and then quilts a map to lead other slaves to freedom.

I loved the bright colors and vivid pictures. I also liked that the author used syntax and diction authentic to the time and geographic location.

Classroom Extensions:
1. Make a collage map of the school using magazine pages.
2. Proceed to use the map in pairs/teams in a trust building activity. One member on each team or pair will be responsible for leading the others out of the school for recess.
  JenniferSaville | Mar 24, 2014 |
Clara is a young slave girl who was raised on a plantation. She found the secrets in the quilts, that the women created, the messages for the underground railroad. This is part of history; it helps us to understand how things were back then and how some people were able to comminucate without speaking about the hidden underground railroad.
  aclemen1 | Apr 28, 2013 |
Summary:
This book is about a young girl named Clara who is a slave who was separated from her mother and forced to work in the fields but workings in the fields became too hard for Clara so she started making quilts one day she overheard about people escaping and becoming free so trying to help she made a quilt with the map to freedom on it

Personal Reaction:
I love this book even as a child I found this to be an interesting book it shows children that even small things can help in the biggest ways.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. You could read this book to your children during black history month
2. The class can design their own quilt (using paper of course)
  ChelseaRenee | Mar 29, 2013 |
Summary:
In the beginning of the story this little girl worked in the fields with the other workers but wasn't as good as the others. So her aunt moved her to quilting, the little girl did not like this at first. In the mean time she overheard that there was a way to get to freedom. So she decides to sew a map onto this quilt and find her way out to freedom, with her friend.

Personal Reaction:
This book was very good. I loved how it explains different scenarios of how all slaves had their way to freedom. I enjoyed how this little was smart enough to sew such a map on a quilt.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
A good idea would be to have the children in the classroom talk about there diversity so that all the children can learn about it. And have the children also draw maps. ( )
  JessicaFayeD | Oct 22, 2012 |

Deborah Hopkinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ransome, JamesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my father and in memory of my mother
-D.H.
For Emma Ransom, the first slave of Pattie and General Matt W. Ransom, and all the other Ransom slaves on Verona Plantation
-J.R.
Before I was even twelve years old, I got sent from North Farm to Home Plantation 'cause they needed another field hand.

Illus. in full color. As a seamstress in the Big House, Clara dreams of a reunion with her Momma, who lives on another plantation--and even of running away to freedom. Then she overhears two slaves talking about the Underground Railroad. In a flash of inspiration, Clara sees how she can use the cloth in her scrap bag to make a map of the land--a freedom quilt--that no master will ever suspect.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:54 -0400)

A young slave stitches a quilt with a map pattern which guides her to freedom in the North.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,567,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible