Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading…

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading Rainbow Books) (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Deborah Hopkinson

Title:Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading Rainbow Books)
Authors:Deborah Hopkinson
Info:Dragonfly Books (1995), Edition: 1, Paperback, 40 pages

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt by Deborah Hopkinson (1993)

Clara is a field hand who is sold away from her family. Her "aunt" teaches her to sew so she won't have to work in the fields any longer. While sewing she begins to create her own quilt that represents the land around her plantation so that she can runaway to freedom.

A strong book to read with grades 3-5 in a slavery/social students unit. Many great text features to be able to add to a mini lesson. ( )
  missbrandysue | Nov 25, 2015 |
Summary: A young woman, Clara, sews a quilt which helps contribute to hundreds making their way to freedom. Through her effort, she touches so many lives and learns that freedom cannot come without effort and fighting.

Personal Reaction: This is a really great book that demonstrates personal growth and character. I think that this would inspire readers to fight through their struggles, and even to help others.

Classroom extensions: I think it would be great for students to make a map of their home. I think it would also be great for students to make a paper quilt. ( )
  CelesteJoy | Sep 19, 2015 |
Underground Railroad, slavery, freedom, quilting
  LauraNelson | Jul 31, 2015 |
Summary: The life of 11-year old Clara is filled with talk of freedom to the north. Any slave could escape north if they only had a map. These stories inspire Clara to take matters into her own hands. Clara, with the help of her friends and their stories, she devises a plan to sew a map—a freedom quilt to lead her and others to freedom.

Personal Reaction: I have always enjoyed the illustrations in this book. Of course, it is also a story of a brave young girl escaping freedom and helping others do the same. It's important to keep these stories circulating, though many do not end so happily.

Classroom Extension: I would incorporate individual quilt squares to make a classroom quilt. Discuss the courageous meaning behind Clara’s actions and the implications of her risks.
  KaitlynBlevins | May 5, 2015 |
Summary: This book is about a little girl named Clara who works on a plantation. One day her aunt starts teaching her how to sew so she can work in the big house. Clara sewed a quilt that made a path to freedom. She got the information for the path by listening to conversations of other people. Other slaves would talk to each other in front of Clara on purpose so she would get the message about the path to freedom. She ended up helping over a hundred slaves to freedom.

Personal Reaction: I thought it was a good book. The pictures were very nice. There weren't any big words, but a lot of the words were slang words. I like the story because it is real and things like that happened all the time. It is sad to me tat a lot of slaves didn't make it, but it's great that plenty of slaves did make it to freedom.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have the kids make a small quilt or design a quilt on paper
2) Have the kids make a map of their school
  Bretny | Apr 29, 2015 |

Deborah Hopkinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ransome, JamesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my father and in memory of my mother
For Emma Ransom, the first slave of Pattie and General Matt W. Ransom, and all the other Ransom slaves on Verona Plantation
Before I was even twelve years old, I got sent from North Farm to Home Plantation 'cause they needed another field hand.

Illus. in full color. As a seamstress in the Big House, Clara dreams of a reunion with her Momma, who lives on another plantation--and even of running away to freedom. Then she overhears two slaves talking about the Underground Railroad. In a flash of inspiration, Clara sees how she can use the cloth in her scrap bag to make a map of the land--a freedom quilt--that no master will ever suspect.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:12 -0400)

A young slave stitches a quilt with a map pattern which guides her to freedom in the North.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible