Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading…

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading Rainbow Books) (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Deborah Hopkinson

Member:WRamos
Title:Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading Rainbow Books)
Authors:Deborah Hopkinson
Info:Dragonfly Books (1995), Edition: 1, Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt by Deborah Hopkinson (1993)

I liked this book for three reasons. First I liked the message that went along with the story, which is, you can overcome anything or keep persevering. It took Clara months to figure out where different areas went on the map, but she did not become impatient or upset she just kept working on it until she finished it. The second thing I liked about this book was how well developed Clara was. The reader was given plenty of chances to see the strength and hard work Clara put into her quilt and into her journey. Lastly, I liked the point of view of the book. It was first person as told by Clara, so the reader was able to see what Clara was thinking and feeling at all times. ( )
  awelch12 | Apr 24, 2017 |
In this book, a young girl makes her own freedom quilt in hopes to see her mother again and ultimately become free. I enjoy its accuracy of history and would read it to my students, because it does so in way that young children can understand. It could be read to grades 1st-4th during a history lesson on the underground railroad. ( )
  megfeyer | Apr 13, 2017 |
Summary: Clara, a young slave girl separated from her mother, learns about the Underground Railroad and how it helps slaves escape from slavery. She gets the idea to build a quilt that is a map of how to escape her plantation and the lands around it and get to Canada to freedom. She escapes with her friend Jack and they follow the map to her mother. They ask them to escape with them and they all flee. It's a story of courage and how one girl helped her friends escape slavery.
Criteria: Critique of Genre- Historical Fiction- Told in a simplistic manner for young readers but in a way that is adventurous and interesting to help them understand a little bit about slavery and the historic Underground Railroad and the Freedom Quilt. Just enough information to understand the seriousness of slavery but not enough to depict the time as scary and dangerous.
Age: primary, intermediate
Media: watercolor ( )
  hwestin | Mar 21, 2017 |
I would use this book as a independent read because it is too long to keep the students attention but it would still be good to teach students about the Underground Railroad and perseverance. I would use this book for fifth graders because they almost the same age as the main characters, and they will better understand what is going on in the story.
  ddevers01 | Mar 2, 2017 |
This book is about a girl named Clara who is a slave seamstress on a plantation. She is separated from family as well. Her aunt tells her one day about Canada, the free land, and the underground railroad, which is a group of people who help slaves escape to freedom. Clara eventually sews a quilt with a secret map to try and guide her and the other slaves to freedom.

I feel like this book would be a great book for upper elementary. It is longer so they would benefit from a read-aloud, or even doing a project over it. ( )
  maddisonsitz | Nov 9, 2016 |

Deborah Hopkinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ransome, JamesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my father and in memory of my mother
-D.H.
For Emma Ransom, the first slave of Pattie and General Matt W. Ransom, and all the other Ransom slaves on Verona Plantation
-J.R.
Before I was even twelve years old, I got sent from North Farm to Home Plantation 'cause they needed another field hand.

Illus. in full color. As a seamstress in the Big House, Clara dreams of a reunion with her Momma, who lives on another plantation--and even of running away to freedom. Then she overhears two slaves talking about the Underground Railroad. In a flash of inspiration, Clara sees how she can use the cloth in her scrap bag to make a map of the land--a freedom quilt--that no master will ever suspect.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:12 -0400)

A young slave stitches a quilt with a map pattern which guides her to freedom in the North.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,237,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible