Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading…

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading Rainbow Books) (edition 1995)

by Deborah Hopkinson

Member:WRamos
Title:Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt (Reading Rainbow Books)
Authors:Deborah Hopkinson
Info:Dragonfly Books (1995), Edition: 1, Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt by Deborah Hopkinson

Summary: The life of 11-year old Clara is filled with talk of freedom to the north. Any slave could escape north if they only had a map. These stories inspire Clara to take matters into her own hands. Clara, with the help of her friends and their stories, she devises a plan to sew a map—a freedom quilt to lead her and others to freedom.

Personal Reaction: I have always enjoyed the illustrations in this book. Of course, it is also a story of a brave young girl escaping freedom and helping others do the same. It's important to keep these stories circulating, though many do not end so happily.

Classroom Extension: I would incorporate individual quilt squares to make a classroom quilt. Discuss the courageous meaning behind Clara’s actions and the implications of her risks.
  KaitlynBlevins | May 5, 2015 |
Summary: This book is about a little girl named Clara who works on a plantation. One day her aunt starts teaching her how to sew so she can work in the big house. Clara sewed a quilt that made a path to freedom. She got the information for the path by listening to conversations of other people. Other slaves would talk to each other in front of Clara on purpose so she would get the message about the path to freedom. She ended up helping over a hundred slaves to freedom.

Personal Reaction: I thought it was a good book. The pictures were very nice. There weren't any big words, but a lot of the words were slang words. I like the story because it is real and things like that happened all the time. It is sad to me tat a lot of slaves didn't make it, but it's great that plenty of slaves did make it to freedom.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have the kids make a small quilt or design a quilt on paper
2) Have the kids make a map of their school
  Bretny | Apr 29, 2015 |
Summary: The book is about a girl and her aunt who she cares for so much. The little girl’s name is Clara and her Aunt that put together a quilt. This Quilt was known as “The Freedom Quilt”, a Quilt that was a map that she sewed together from the places that some of the other men had seen of the area around the place where she lived. This Quilt help many Slave get to Freedom when they use the Map on the Quilt to reach the Underground Railroad to Freedom.

Personal Reaction: The book is about a young Slave girl that made a Map on a Quilt, that helps many Slaves reach the Underground Railroad to Freedom.

Classroom Extension:
1. The Teacher can have the classroom make a quilt out of any type of cloth that they want to bring to the class to made the Quilt
2. The Teacher can also use different type of paper to make a paper Quilt, have every student contribute their piece of paper that they like to make it.
  Santiago_M. | Mar 28, 2015 |
Summary: A book about a girl and her aunt who she cares for so much. It is put together by a quilt that they both have put their time and heart into and soon her aunt becomes ill and this quilt becomes a saving grace for her.

Personal Reaction: A book with a lot of family love. Makes you think of the projects that I have had with my dad and the bonds that me and my gpas have had from working on cars to working on the farm.

Classroom Extension: Make a classroom quilt. A piece of cardboard paper for each student and make their contribution to the quilt of something that makes them feel free in life or something that they enjoy doing.
  estep13 | Mar 25, 2015 |
Summary:
Sweet Clara and The Freedom Quilt is about a little girl who lives with her "aunt" and they work as slaves. Clara started out working in the fields and she was definately not cut out for it. Her aunt decided that she would teach her how to sew and make quilts. She taught Clara and she knew how to quilt all kinds of different quilts. One night people were over at their house talking about the Underground Railroad and if only there was a map to help people get out. Clara got the idea to make this map with her quilting. She worked long and hard on quilting this map until finally it was time for them to leave. She left her quilt so others could use it to get free one day as well. She had the whole thing memorized anyway. They found their way out to freedom.

Personal Reaction:
I thought this was a really good story, and I have never heard it before. I found it very interesting and it is a very good way to show the story of the Underground Railroad to children.

Classroom Extensions:
1. You could make a class quilt. Have every student bring a piece of frabic from home that means something special to them or to their family and sew and quilt them all together to make a class quilt.
2. You could have your students make different maps of the classroom or of the school.
  KristenLaSorsa | Mar 25, 2015 |

Deborah Hopkinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ransome, JamesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my father and in memory of my mother
-D.H.
For Emma Ransom, the first slave of Pattie and General Matt W. Ransom, and all the other Ransom slaves on Verona Plantation
-J.R.
Before I was even twelve years old, I got sent from North Farm to Home Plantation 'cause they needed another field hand.

Illus. in full color. As a seamstress in the Big House, Clara dreams of a reunion with her Momma, who lives on another plantation--and even of running away to freedom. Then she overhears two slaves talking about the Underground Railroad. In a flash of inspiration, Clara sees how she can use the cloth in her scrap bag to make a map of the land--a freedom quilt--that no master will ever suspect.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:54 -0400)

A young slave stitches a quilt with a map pattern which guides her to freedom in the North.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,215,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible