Hiromi's Hands by Lynne Barasch

Hiromi's Hands

by Lynne Barasch

11214161,699 (4)None

I liked this book for a few reasons. I found it to be motivating to immigrants that come to America and to young girls. The main character is a little girl whose father immigrated from Japan to New York City. The reason I found this book to be motivating was because before the girl's father could immigrate to America he worked very hard as a sushi chef in Japan and it took him years to be promoted to work at the New York City sushi restaurant. This book is a reminder that dreams do not come easily or overnight, and one must work hard for what they want. Another reason I enjoyed this book was the inspiration it held for young girls. In the book the little girl explains that it was not a custom for girls to become a sushi chef in Japan. She convinced her father to let her shadow him and for her to try to learn the trade. He let her, and she became an amazing sushi chef. Another reason I enjoyed this book was that of the illustrations and the written captions for each picture. On pages where there was illustrated sushi the author captioned the picture with the Japanese name for the kind of sushi and included the English translation. I also enjoyed how the book was multicultural. Overall the main idea of the book was that everyone must work hard to achieve their dreams and that girls can be anything that they aspire to be. ( )
  ghilli1 | Feb 10, 2018 |
I really liked this book for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that the language is very descriptive. In a children’s non-fiction book, some authors may not give the full picture as to how people were treated during the time period or culture in which the book was based on. In Hiromi’s Hands, the author stated, “People thought a women’s soft, warm hands would spoil the fish” (Barasch, 6). I liked how the author provided information about her culture and the difference between how a man and a woman are treated in Japan. Another reason why I liked this book is the writing. Even though this is a non-fiction book, the story has a flow to it. It begins with Hiromi saying goodbye to her parents, then goes into the story of where they come from, followed by how her father came to America and how she started to make sushi herself. The author engaged the reader by having descriptive words, but also pictures that went along with the text that showed what she meant. The book was written in an interesting way by the author provided a story as to how someone became a sushi maker. The author also provided images of the different types of sushi. The overall picture of this book is to always care about your family heritage and one day you can carry on the tradition too. ( )
  jkempn2 | Sep 26, 2017 |
Hiromi’s Hands by Lynne Barasch is a biography about Hiromi Suzuki and her journey to become a professional sushi chef. I liked this book for a few reasons. One reason was I able to learn a lot about Japanese culture and the difficult process of making sushi. Another reason I like this book is because it has a pronunciation guide in the back. This guide shows you how to pronounce the different types of sushi and other Japanese words that were in the book. This was really helpful because I could see the Japanese’s word and then the correct pronunciation and practice my Japanese. Another reason I really liked this book was because of the gender stereotype that Hiromi broke. The story is about a young girl who wants to become a sushi chef, but before this a chef was a male’s job only. Hiromi didn’t care and wanted to learn how to be a sushi chef anyway. Her dad taught her everything he knew and told her “Girls can do things here that they cannot do in Japan.” I thought this line was very interesting because it shows how much freedom and choice woman have here in America that they do not have in other countries. The message of this story is powerful because it shows how difficult it can be for woman to be successful but ultimately women can do anything men can do. The message also shows that hard work really pays off. ( )
  Kelli_Via | Apr 17, 2017 |
There were many things that I liked about this book. The overall message of the book is a good one: hard work pays off. Both the title character and her father are able to find great success in the sushi industry by training and working for over seven years in the field. This tale can show children how dedication and perseverance pays off. I also liked the inclusion of wordless picture pages in the story, used to show rather than tell different parts of the story. These pages will engage visual learners, learners who are not strong readers, and can be used by the teacher to ask critical thinking questions while reading to students.
However, I wish that the author had striven to create a more powerful message regarding the successes of women. This story included the success of a girl in what is described as a traditionally male role, but does not address that the logic behind the previous banning of women from the field is faulty. At one point the girl’s father says that “this is America. Girls can do things here that they cannot do in Japan.” Although this is an honest look into the Japanese culture, I wish that there had been more emphasis that the sexist beliefs previously stated are wrong, especially considering the young girls that will hear and read this book. ( )
  elaine.shea | Mar 6, 2017 |
In my opinion, this was a wonderful book that incorporated many aspects to help describe the multicultural subject. The book is all about a young girl named Hiromi, her father trained to make sushi in Japan and then moved to the United States. She becomes interested and convinces her father to teach her, even though not many women are trained in the skill. I liked her this book subtly touched on sexism in other cultures by briefly describing how women were expected to stay at home and walk behind men in Japan, and how Hiromi was one of the first women sushi chefs. Also, there was a couple pages that had pictures and descriptions of different types of sushi which is beneficial since that's the main topic of the book. Lastly, the end of the book contained a glossary that defined all the Japanese words sprinkled throughout the text with a pronunciation guide. This really brings the multiculturalism to a new level in the book, in my opinion. Overall, the book did a great job of retelling a true story while giving background on the topic of sushi and the Japanese culture. ( )
  vrobey1 | Oct 18, 2016 |

"A biography of Hiromi Suzuki, a Japanese American girl who, with her father's guidance, defies tradition and trains to become a sushi chef at her family's restaurant in New York City"--Provided by publisher.

Lee & Low Books

An edition of this book was published by Lee & Low Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible