The Legend of the Holy Drinker by Joseph…

The Legend of the Holy Drinker (1939)

by Joseph Roth

Joseph Roth's tale of an alcoholic vagrant who has a series of lucky breaks that lift him briefly onto a different plane of existence.

English (10)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (17)
ogni tot anni mi rileggo questo libro.....serve per far memoria del senso del peccato e del concetto del perdono..... ( )
  Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |
  Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |
Read this review, and many more on my blog October Tune!

Near the end of March, I got an email from the publisher saying that I was one of the winners of their survey. I didn’t remember taking the survey, nor did I remember there being a giveaway, but I was still very happy. The only thing was that I had no idea what kind of book I’d won, so I was quite surprised when this little book was brought to me.

The Legend of the Holy Drinker (or De Legende van de Heilige Drinker, as it’s called in Dutch), is about Andreas who doesn’t have any money and lives under bridges. At the beginning of the story, he gets money from a stranger and decides to spend it immediately. During the story he seems to get/find money everywhere he goes, though he always seems to spend it on alcohol.

What I liked:

I liked that the story was part graphic novel, I don’t read graphic novels often (I would love to though), so this was very nice. The drawings were simple, and they basically told the dialogue, while everything that was written was just the story around it.

What I didn’t like:

After reading it, I had no idea what I’d just read. Because it was translated from German (I think?) into Dutch, the writing was very childish, and I had the feeling I was reading a bedtime story, even though it is a story for ‘grown-ups’. This is one of the reasons I hardly ever read books that are translated into Dutch, because I just think the translated story is so childish though the original story is probably not.

In the end, I didn’t really like the story, not just because it’s not my genre, but because the story just didn’t interest me. I did give it an extra Dalek for the drawings though, because even though they are simple and in black and white, they made the story a bit more awesome. ( )
  october.tune | Nov 15, 2017 |
Thoroughly sublime. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
This autobiographical novella reads like a 20th century fable. The protagonist, Andreas Karnak, is a Polish immigrant in Paris who has been through rough times and is now an alcoholic who lives on the streets. A stranger lends him two hundred francs, which he fails to return despite his best intentions. Andreas is a tragic and flawed yet dignified figure, who is a "saint" because he seems to live in the world without ever actually being part of it. His simplicity makes him appreciate "miracles" which more fortunate citizens simply miss. ( )
  JosephCamilleri | May 31, 2015 |

Joseph Rothprimary authorall editionscalculated
Auladell, PabloIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bouman, BertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carmiggelt, SimonForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colli Staude, ChiaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dyer, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hofmann, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,609,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible