Why The Sky Is Far Away: A Nigerian Folktale…

Why The Sky Is Far Away: A Nigerian Folktale (edition 1995)

by Mary-Joan Gerson, Carla Golembe (Illustrator)

Member:edeidrich
Title:Why The Sky Is Far Away: A Nigerian Folktale
Authors:Mary-Joan Gerson
Other authors:Carla Golembe (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (1995), Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, folklore, multicultural, Nigeria

Why The Sky Is Far Away: A Nigerian Folktale by Mary-Joan Gerson

This book was magnificent. This book of traditional literature was very appealing to me for two reasons.
First, the illustrations were spectacular. The colors used are so bright and vivid, like when the Oba's servants are prepping the sky for decorations. The colors on the page contrast so well.
Second, I really liked the characters. The woman who is never satisfied is such a great way to describe humanity. The symbolism in this story is told very well through the characters, and I enjoyed that very much.
The main idea of this book is to always respect the Earth and to never take more than you need. Otherwise, it could come back around to bite you in the rear. ( )
  lmalak1 | May 16, 2014 |
Unfortunately, I did not really like this book for a couple of reasons. This Folktale was very dry and boring. After talking to a child who has read the book, he expressed that it was a very difficult read for him and did not interest him. I felt that the illustrations were extremely distracting. They included many colors that focused my attention away from text. For example, there was a page that had an illustration displaying random fruit floating around in the air which did not support the text on that page very well. I would not have this book in my classroom. The main message in this book was Nigerian tradition and the importance of respecting the Earth. ( )
  jtaylo41 | Feb 26, 2014 |
Wastefulness, gluttony, and responsibility are the main themes of Mary-Joan Gerson's retelling of this Nigerian tale of how humans lost the luxury of "eating the sky." Along with the story, which is meaningful and thought-provoking, the artwork featured in the book is lively and vibrant, to say the least. The various techniques and styles used to create the illustrations blend together and form a seemingly authentic experience. ( )
  edeidrich | Nov 13, 2012 |
Hynes Library:
An african folktale about the people's greed and the resuting punishment. Very simpliestic illustrations portray a wonderful tale with a strong moral about saving mother earth. ( )
1 vote mccabe1030 | Jun 11, 2012 |
Summary: This is a Nigerian folktale story. In the beginning the sky was close to earth. The men and women did not have to crow crops and harvest them. If anyone was hungry they would just reach up and took a piece of sky and ate it. The sky tasted like different foods. The sky grew angry because people were being wasteful. People would take more than they could eat and threw away leftovers. So the sky told the leader of the palace do no waste my gifts or they will no longer be yours. The people were careful for some time. During the greatest festival of the year, there was a woman who took too much sky, and she did not finish it. She threw the leftover in the garbage. The sky told the people you have not treated me with respect now I leave you and move far away. From that day on, men, women, and children had to grow their own food.

Personal Reaction: This story reminds me of when I was little I was always told to finish my food on my plate. There are many children who go hungry every night. So now I tell my children if you get something to eat to finish it and not waste it.

Extension ideas: 1. You can encourage your class to care for the planet by starting a recycling project. 2. You can ask your students if their family has extra can goods to bring them to school and share with a shelter.
  karen.strachan | Feb 13, 2012 |

The sky was once so close to the Earth that people cut parts of it to eat, but their waste and greed caused the sky to move far away.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible