Never Deal with a Dragon by Robert N.…
Recently added byprivate library, CLondon, Burtacamoose, elorin, EntropicDeath, ttuckerman, dcdfn, quasar, JCWagner

English (3)  German (2)  All languages (5)
Sweet Jesus, this was a hard one to get through.

I love the world of Shadowrun. LOVE. But this book read like the author took a glance at a rules book, skimmed the classes for the key facts about them all, then went about creating the most non-dimensional characters he possibly could.

The worldbuilding was amazing and immerse... The characters had me shaking my head. There were several points where I felt like I was supposed to empathize with big, bad events... But I just never cared enough about them. And I never understood anyone's motivations, let alone Sam who is the theoretical main character. One of the many villains, Crenshaw, never made a damn bit of sense to me. Why did she hate Sam so much? We know her from the moment she meets him and it never makes any sense. And don't get me started on those dragons. Not one of them had an actual reason to be in this book.

By the time we get to the climactic finale battle-royale, I have no idea what anyone's motivations are, the plot focus is hanging my a thread, and I really couldn't care less if they all got taken out by one of the many dragons that make an appearance. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
I have always loved science fiction and the Shadowrun series has never really disappointed me. This as far as I know was the first book in the series and it sort of sets the scene for the entire world of Shadowrun. Great characters great writing and a great universe. ( )
  LouCypher | Nov 11, 2010 |
Concerning Sam Verner, his transformation from a corporate researcher to a shadow-running shaman of dog, this book alright read but sometimes tests the readers patience.

The chapters are extremely brief, and so the plot moves forward in a somewhat erratic way. The protagonist, Verner, is an interesting and likable personality, but he lacks motivation, aside from a simplistic need to avenge the murder of his girlfriend Hanae, a character who is never anything but a stock-character. Accordingly, he seems to be the object of various plot-twists as opposed to an agent who moves the plot forward.

Some supporting characters have the potential to become interesting, but they never fully intrigue. For example, the elvish decker, Dodger, who consistently speaks like he out of a medieval romance, provocatively helps the main character out of what appear to be altruistic motivations. But these odd moments of goodness--so rare in an underworld where people are motivated by money and not fuzzy feelings--are never explained.

Altogether, however, it is an interesting read, and it represents the Shadowrun world and game with all its richness and complexity. If you enjoy fantasy, cyberpunk, and sci-fi, this is a perfect hybrid-genre piece. ( )
2 vote jsnrcrny | May 20, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,110,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible