The Best American Short Stories 2005 (The…

The Best American Short Stories 2005 (The Best American Series) (edition 2005)

by Katrina Kenison, Michael Chabon (Editor)

Title:The Best American Short Stories 2005 (The Best American Series)
Authors:Katrina Kenison
Other authors:Michael Chabon (Editor)
Info:Mariner Books (2005), Edition: First Printing, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Amy's Books
Tags:fiction, anthology, danunread, dantoread

The Best American Short Stories 2005 by Michael Chabon (Editor)

A very good collection but once again, some of The Best "American" Short Stories are written by Canadians. It's great that they're giving our writers exposure and recognizing their talent but why can't they recognize their nationality as well? Canadians are NOT the same as Americans. Get your own darn writers. ( )
  EnidaV | Apr 29, 2015 |
Not worth the paper. ( )
  journeyguy | Apr 2, 2013 |
Eleven years ago I met and fell in love with my partner. We were well-matched in almost every way. Except one. She loved short stories. I did not. In the decade since, I made occasional attempts to read and enjoy short story collections with limited success.

I picked up BASS 2005 on the clearance rack at Half Price Books. I thought I might enjoy it because it was edited by an author I enjoy, Michael Chabon. I did like the first story ‘The Smile on Happy Chang’s Face’ by Tom Perrotta which is a slyly humorous and sad look at the life of a suburban Little League umpire. I’ve never read Perrotta, but I will now. I also liked the second story Dennis Lehane’s ‘Until Gwen’ a bitter and very dark exploration of a couple of days in the life of a pair of father and son grifters.

I was so pleased with my reaction. Chabon wasn’t letting me down and the short story was finally going to be a pleasant genre to explore. I hated the rest of the stories in the book. I’m almost certain it’s me and that the stories aren’t a depressing litany of “Life Sucks”. I think if I was a savoring rather than gulping type, I might have found more that I enjoyed as much as the first couple. I might not mind the constant shifting of narrator and tone inherent in a collection of short stories. In other words, it’s not the quality of these stories, it’s me. I can tell that they are well written, I just find the whole thing depressing. .

After 10 years of trying, I think it is time to admit defeat. Jane and I will never agree about short stories. Or as one in the genre would have it, she and I will now sink into a morass of disappointment and internal grief while maintaining an outward appearance of happiness without ever discussing the nagging doubt that permeates our life together. ( )
  nancyewhite | Nov 18, 2007 |
How did it take me this long to decide to read an edition of BASS? I chose the 2005 collection completely at random, triggering a case of serendipity the likes of which I have never seen before. Just think: I could have gone the rest of my life never having read anything by Kelly Link, Tom Perotta, or Tim Pratt! This sampling is a great way to get to know new writers. Favorite stories from BASS 2005 include "Stone Animals," "The Smile on Happy Chang's Face," "Anda's Game," "Death Defier," "Hart and Boot," and "Until Gwen." ( )
  rosencrantz79 | Dec 13, 2006 |
Usual yearly collection of good stories from lit mags over the last year. Chabon's editorial perspective is more prevalent than with other editors--there's a decided flavor of kids' tales, SF, and sports stories. They're good, so it's fine by me. ( )
  slipstitch | Sep 24, 2006 |

Saunders, GeorgeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schwartz, Lynne SharonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, JoyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The Best American Series First, Best, and Best-Selling

The Best American series has been the premier annual showcase for the country's finest short fiction and nonfiction since 1915. Each volume's series editor selects notable works from hundreds of periodicals. A special guest editor, a leading writer in the field, then chooses the very best twenty or so pieces to publish. This unique system has made the Best American series the most respected -- and most popular -- of its kind.

The Best American Short Stories 2005 includes

Dennis Lehane • Tom Perrotta • Alice Munro • Edward P. Jones • Joy Williams • Joyce Carol Oates • Thomas McGuane • Kelly Link • Charles D'Ambrosio • Cory Doctorow • George Saunders • and others

Michael Chabon, guest editor, is the best-selling author of The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, Wonder Boys, A Model World, and, most recently, The Final Solution. His novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay won the Pulitzer Prize in 2000.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:14 -0400)

An annual selection of short stories taken from American and Canadian periodicals.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,849,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible