Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

Iron Kissed

by Patricia Briggs

Series: World of the Marrok (4), Mercy Thompson (3)

English (155)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All (159)
A walking stick that follows you around is surely a sign to slow down, right?

Mercy is asked to help investigate a series of Fae murders, because mechanics are great at that sort of thing. That goes so well that her friend and former boss, Zee, ends up on the hook for a murder he didn't commit. Of course, what happens on the rez stays on the rez, so the Fae are quite happy for Zee to take the fall. Mercy isn't happy for Zee to take the fall.

Patricia Briggs keeps upping the ante with this series. Mercy may have some devoted friends but there is quickly becoming very few groups in the Tri-Cities area that aren't pissed at her. Whether it be the vampires, the Grey Lords of the Fae, her two competing suitors, elements within the wolf pack, or the local anti-magical beings hate groups, Briggs has made Mercy's life tough. This makes for compelling reading. Some people won't like the climatic scene for how far it goes, but what is a decent protagonist without deep psychological scars? ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
This book left me with all kinds of feelings. I have had a hard time getting it out of my head since I finished it hours ago. This was a re-read for me but it has been roughly 6 years since the first time I read this book and it really had a bigger impact on me this time around. I have so much love for this series having read all of the books set in the Mercy world and now working on re-reading them as time allows. This book felt like a really pivotal book this time around since I know how things do work out. I am in awe of the magic that is the Mercy Thompson series.

Mercy is asked by Zee to help out with an investigation investigation involving the fae. Things get a whole lot more complicated almost immediately after when Zee is arrested and charged with murder. Mercy knows that he is innocent so she is going to do everything in her power to set the record straight even when she is told to leave things alone. I will be honest and admit that I didn't remember who the bad guy was in this mystery and was trying to puzzle through everything right along with Mercy and she discovered new pieces of information.

The other major point in this book focuses on Mercy's love life. In the previous books in the series, Mercy has had both Adam and Sam showing interest in her. Sam ended up moving in with her as roommates and Adam has declared her as his mate. Sam and Adam are both very strong Alpha wolves and a choice has to be made. Mercy does finally figure out where her heart is in this book and she does it in a way that reminds me why I love her character as much as I do.

The final section of the book really got to me. It was intense to say the least. I was emotionally all over the place as I listened to the everything that happens to Mercy. I was angry for her. I wanted to cry for her. I wanted to help glue back all of the pieces or try to do something to make it be that things didn't really happen. I think that the way that Patricia Briggs decided to share how Mercy was feeling during the aftermath of the big event is genius. I am in awe of her writing ability. Mercy dealt with the pain by turning into her coyote. In doing so, the way she acted and her body language took on a very obvious meaning. It was powerful stuff to say the least.

I loved the narration of this book. Lorelei King did a spectacular job in narrating this story. There are quite a few characters in this book and she did a fantastic job in using different and consistent voices for those characters. She really showed the emotions of the characters during this story. The pacing of her reading was really nice and I found myself being able to listen for hours at a time.

I would highly recommend this series to others. I do think that this is a series that is best read in order since the relationships between the character grow and change over the course of the series and events from earlier books do come up from time to time. I can't wait to continue with my re-read of this fantastic series! ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Mar 19, 2017 |
Wow!! I loved this book. I forgot how great Mercy is!! I love her attitude and how independent she wants to be. Mercy has a tendency to find trouble or trouble finds her.

Iron Kissed is about fae's being murdered. Mercy is asked to help figure out who is killing the fae on the reservation. When she does discover who the murderer is Zee and Uncle Mike decide to confront the suspect and happen to walk and find the man dead.

This ultimately leaves Zee holding the bag for the murder. This prompts Mercy into action to prove her friend and mentor is innocence. I loved the whole story and the ending was very traumatic and brought tears to my eyes. I know I will be continuing with this series. ( )
  crazy4reading | Feb 15, 2017 |
Are the Mercy Thompson books Great Literature? No. I'm a fangirl, but I'm not stupid. Are they great books? Yes. It's books like these that formed my addiction to reading, and which are the reason I remain addicted. Writers like Patricia Briggs are why I read. ( )
  Stewartry | Nov 23, 2016 |
Iron Kissed
4 Stars

The world building focuses on the fae and provides some fascinating background and explanations on the various subtypes including the Grey Lords, the Selkie and the Carrion Crow. The amalgamation of myth and fairytale within the storyline is seamless and engaging.

The murder mystery is a weak point. Although the idea of a serial killer targeting the fae has potential, the investigation is subsumed within so many other events and details that it all but disappears as does the underlying anti-racist message. Moreover, the resolution is completely overshadowed by the killer's attack on Mercy.

Speaking of which, the rape is completely unnecessary either to the storyline or the character development. In fact, having Mercy humiliated in this way only serves to undermine her characterization as a strong-willed, independent and kick-ass heroine. It can be argued that the emotional impact of the event strengthens Mercy's relationship with both the pack and the men in her life, but surely there is a better way of achieving these without undercutting the heroine. Thankfully, the last chapter of the book suggests that she is on the road to recovery and somewhat mitigates the harm done.

This situation, together with the lack of positively portrayed female characters in the series, is beginning to lead me to the unfortunate conclusion that Brigg's doesn't seem to like women very much. I hope that the next books will prove me wrong.

On a happier note, the love triangle subplot finally comes to an end when Mercy makes a choice between Adam and Samuel. Her ultimate decision is based both on logical reasoning and emotional investment and is, I believe, the correct choice for her.

All in all, despite my issues with the questionable plot device in this installment, the Mercy Thompson series is well written and entertaining, and I have to admit that the scene between Ben and Adam had me tearing up. Looking forward to what happens in Bone Crossed. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler,MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Collin: Collector of all that is Sharp and Pointy Dragon Slayer
"A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic watched Queen of the Damned," I murmured.

It wasn't hard to follow the scent of blood to the living room where the fae had been killed. It had been a violent death, perfect for creating ghosts.

Mercy Thompson enjoys being a mechanic, but life is never simple given her increasing closeness to the local werewolf pack, and her ability to change into coyote form at will. And when a member of the fae comunity calls in a favour, needing her skills for a covert murder investigation, she jumps into the hunt.

But the dangers multiply and she clashes with shadowed creatures of great power. When her old boss Zee is charged with a brutal assassination, Mercy finds herself fighting alone. There are those who love her, who would keep her safe, but she is wary and holds her freedom precious. Until, that is, she has nothing left to lose but her life...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015662, Mass Market Paperback)

When her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, it's up to shapeshifting car mechanic Mercy Thompson to clear his name, whether he wants her to or not. And she'll have to choose between the two werewolves in her life-whether she wants to or not.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Shapeshifting mechanic Mercy Thompson finds her loyalty sorely tested when her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, while she is trying to choose between Sam and Adam, the two werewolves she loves.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,155,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible