Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3) by…

Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:moppety
Title:Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:Fiction, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Vampires, Shapeshifters, Witches, Weres

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

English (150)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  All languages (153)
Easily my favorite of the series so far. Very well written. Descriptive without being too much and wonderful characters. And just when I thought the story was at an end there was one tiny twist that wrapped things up more and was very satisfying. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
3.5 stars

"It wasn't hard to follow the scent of blood to the living room where the fae had been killed. It had been a violent death, perfect for creating ghosts."

The shapeshifter series continues with this third book, Iron Kissed, and while I didn’t enjoy it as much as the second, it’s still a goodie.

There was just something about the mystery, which took up most of the book, that I found dull compared to Mercy’s usual adventures. The most potent thing- without a doubt – is that ending. WOW. The book takes a tragic, unusual, gut-wrenching turn for our main character.

Frankly until the second half of the book, the book lagged behind for my tastes. I’m pleased there was an end to the mild love triangle at least, and that it’s now dissolved and pushed out of the way for further plot development.

Also I’m not a fan of the fae because most of the time in these kinds of books they just piss me off and bore me at the same time. No exception here. The other supe stuff takes a backseat. 
What worked the most for the book were the characters, who were amazing as always, and I’m really digging Honey now as a friend and new intro. The interactions between Mercy, Adam, and Samuel help bring resolution to lots of existing issues. I did miss Stefan tons though, nothing from him at all for this story.

Briggs impressed me as a writer with the way she handled the delicate shocker. She did a risky rarely-done move at the end that most authors of single POV stories don’t attempt without a last minute rescue. What was more impressive is the way she handled it at the ending, the convincing and heartbreaking aftermath.

A big turn has taken for Mercy. It is tragic yet beautifully written, morbid but fascinating in how it’s character changing. It stands as the best part of the book, even if what happens isn’t something that someone wants to read about.

Briggs didn’t end with a bang, however. A bang indicates explosiveness, quickness, shocking intensities. This was a shock, but a quiet, sobering one. A gasp that’s low because noise of surprise can barely escape.

If you enjoyed the first two, you will likely like this one as well.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
loved this one to. ( )
  Emmy_Gerard | Jun 3, 2016 |
Iron Kissed
4 Stars

The world building focuses on the fae and provides some fascinating background and explanations on the various subtypes including the Grey Lords, the Selkie and the Carrion Crow. The amalgamation of myth and fairytale within the storyline is seamless and engaging.

The murder mystery is a weak point. Although the idea of a serial killer targeting the fae has potential, the investigation is subsumed within so many other events and details that it all but disappears as does the underlying anti-racist message. Moreover, the resolution is completely overshadowed by the killer's attack on Mercy.

Speaking of which, the rape is completely unnecessary either to the storyline or the character development. In fact, having Mercy humiliated in this way only serves to undermine her characterization as a strong-willed, independent and kick-ass heroine. It can be argued that the emotional impact of the event strengthens Mercy's relationship with both the pack and the men in her life, but surely there is a better way of achieving these without undercutting the heroine. Thankfully, the last chapter of the book suggests that she is on the road to recovery and somewhat mitigates the harm done.

This situation, together with the lack of positively portrayed female characters in the series, is beginning to lead me to the unfortunate conclusion that Brigg's doesn't seem to like women very much. I hope that the next books will prove me wrong.

On a happier note, the love triangle subplot finally comes to an end when Mercy makes a choice between Adam and Samuel. Her ultimate decision is based both on logical reasoning and emotional investment and is, I believe, the correct choice for her.

All in all, despite my issues with the questionable plot device in this installment, the Mercy Thompson series is well written and entertaining, and I have to admit that the scene between Ben and Adam had me tearing up. Looking forward to what happens in Bone Crossed. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Marvelous! Mercy brings the heat! Her friends are in trouble, and again she does everything possible to save them. I want her courage. I wish to emulate her bravery - don't get me wrong. I'm not brave, but I don't think I could do what she does and have lived to tell the tale - or at least not as accepting and make peace with what happened. I can't feel bad for her because she took it all in stride once she could see clearly. I feel bad for Samuel and wish to know more of his story, I hope we get to hear more of it soon. Just as I wish to know more of Mercy and Adam's history together. I believe she made the right choice for the right reasons, I understand it was hard but I think I would have come to the same conclusion too. I am so glad for Zee as well, glad that he is iron kissed and not affected by metal or this would have ended badly and I would have been mad and not even finished the book. As it was, the book was exciting and fast paced and I had troubles putting it down long enough to do anything but take a sip of something to drink. I wish I had more of the series but it will have to wait until I can afford it. ~sigh, I hate that money rules everything. At least in Mercy's world she has friends with money, even if she's too proud to borrow some. Haha ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Collin: Collector of all that is Sharp and Pointy Dragon Slayer
"A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic watched Queen of the Damned," I murmured.

Mercy Thompson enjoys being a mechanic, but life is never simple given her increasing closeness to the local werewolf pack, and her ability to change into coyote form at will. And when a member of the fae comunity calls in a favour, needing her skills for a covert murder investigation, she jumps into the hunt.

But the dangers multiply and she clashes with shadowed creatures of great power. When her old boss Zee is charged with a brutal assassination, Mercy finds herself fighting alone. There are those who love her, who would keep her safe, but she is wary and holds her freedom precious. Until, that is, she has nothing left to lose but her life...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015662, Mass Market Paperback)

When her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, it's up to shapeshifting car mechanic Mercy Thompson to clear his name, whether he wants her to or not. And she'll have to choose between the two werewolves in her life-whether she wants to or not.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Shapeshifting mechanic Mercy Thompson finds her loyalty sorely tested when her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, while she is trying to choose between Sam and Adam, the two werewolves she loves.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,879,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible