Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3) by…

Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Patricia Briggs

Title:Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:Fiction, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Vampires, Shapeshifters, Witches, Weres

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

English (150)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  All languages (153)
At first, I was getting ready to be real tired of Mercy and her stupid love triangle. I don't really like Samuel or Adam, which didn't help. But this is why I love the Mercy Thompson books: it's not all about the romance. There was a pretty big complicated plot going on as well, and by the time I'd finished, I'd actually grown to like Adam himself.

I really enjoyed the plot itself. The Fae make very cool...enemies? Allies? Whatever they are in this book. And Mercy has always appealed to me with her mechanic career and, I suppose, maturity. She doesn't make a sassy comment every single time the opportunity presents itself, she doesn't exhaust herself trying to prove that she's a tough independent woman. Sure, she can be witty and outspoken at times, but she knows when to stay silent. I appreciate that she doesn't try to hard to be a "strong, independent heroine."

I'm also in love with the ending, and the unexpected respect and realism confronting rape. It was very well done. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 15, 2016 |
I love these characters, and this book continues to develop all of my favorites. Just as the last book brought in more vampire business, this one brings in more of the fae. The relationship between Mercy and Zee is one of my favorites, and it's given a few moments to shine in this volume. Although the book does take a darker turn toward the end, I appreciated that far less time and description is spent on the actual violence and far more on the aftermath and recovery from that violence. I also appreciated that the love triangle business is essentially done after this book and the characters can all move on with their lives. I have to also mention that one of the things that I love about these books is that the main character has people who love her and people who really just don't, and they're not evil or necessarily her enemies for not liking her. Some eventually come around to loving her, others won't. It's a touch of realism that sometimes gets missed in books like these. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jul 5, 2016 |
Easily my favorite of the series so far. Very well written. Descriptive without being too much and wonderful characters. And just when I thought the story was at an end there was one tiny twist that wrapped things up more and was very satisfying. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
3.5 stars

"It wasn't hard to follow the scent of blood to the living room where the fae had been killed. It had been a violent death, perfect for creating ghosts."

The shapeshifter series continues with this third book, Iron Kissed, and while I didn’t enjoy it as much as the second, it’s still a goodie.

There was just something about the mystery, which took up most of the book, that I found dull compared to Mercy’s usual adventures. The most potent thing- without a doubt – is that ending. WOW. The book takes a tragic, unusual, gut-wrenching turn for our main character.

Frankly until the second half of the book, the book lagged behind for my tastes. I’m pleased there was an end to the mild love triangle at least, and that it’s now dissolved and pushed out of the way for further plot development.

Also I’m not a fan of the fae because most of the time in these kinds of books they just piss me off and bore me at the same time. No exception here. The other supe stuff takes a backseat. 
What worked the most for the book were the characters, who were amazing as always, and I’m really digging Honey now as a friend and new intro. The interactions between Mercy, Adam, and Samuel help bring resolution to lots of existing issues. I did miss Stefan tons though, nothing from him at all for this story.

Briggs impressed me as a writer with the way she handled the delicate shocker. She did a risky rarely-done move at the end that most authors of single POV stories don’t attempt without a last minute rescue. What was more impressive is the way she handled it at the ending, the convincing and heartbreaking aftermath.

A big turn has taken for Mercy. It is tragic yet beautifully written, morbid but fascinating in how it’s character changing. It stands as the best part of the book, even if what happens isn’t something that someone wants to read about.

Briggs didn’t end with a bang, however. A bang indicates explosiveness, quickness, shocking intensities. This was a shock, but a quiet, sobering one. A gasp that’s low because noise of surprise can barely escape.

If you enjoyed the first two, you will likely like this one as well.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |

Enzweiler,MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Collin: Collector of all that is Sharp and Pointy Dragon Slayer
"A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic watched Queen of the Damned," I murmured.

Mercy Thompson enjoys being a mechanic, but life is never simple given her increasing closeness to the local werewolf pack, and her ability to change into coyote form at will. And when a member of the fae comunity calls in a favour, needing her skills for a covert murder investigation, she jumps into the hunt.

But the dangers multiply and she clashes with shadowed creatures of great power. When her old boss Zee is charged with a brutal assassination, Mercy finds herself fighting alone. There are those who love her, who would keep her safe, but she is wary and holds her freedom precious. Until, that is, she has nothing left to lose but her life...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015662, Mass Market Paperback)

When her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, it's up to shapeshifting car mechanic Mercy Thompson to clear his name, whether he wants her to or not. And she'll have to choose between the two werewolves in her life-whether she wants to or not.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Shapeshifting mechanic Mercy Thompson finds her loyalty sorely tested when her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, while she is trying to choose between Sam and Adam, the two werewolves she loves.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,788,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible