Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3) by…

Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:moppety
Title:Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:Fiction, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Vampires, Shapeshifters, Witches, Weres

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

English (152)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  All (155)
Are the Mercy Thompson books Great Literature? No. I'm a fangirl, but I'm not stupid. Are they great books? Yes. It's books like these that formed my addiction to reading, and which are the reason I remain addicted. Writers like Patricia Briggs are why I read. ( )
  Stewartry | Nov 23, 2016 |
Iron Kissed
4 Stars

The world building focuses on the fae and provides some fascinating background and explanations on the various subtypes including the Grey Lords, the Selkie and the Carrion Crow. The amalgamation of myth and fairytale within the storyline is seamless and engaging.

The murder mystery is a weak point. Although the idea of a serial killer targeting the fae has potential, the investigation is subsumed within so many other events and details that it all but disappears as does the underlying anti-racist message. Moreover, the resolution is completely overshadowed by the killer's attack on Mercy.

Speaking of which, the rape is completely unnecessary either to the storyline or the character development. In fact, having Mercy humiliated in this way only serves to undermine her characterization as a strong-willed, independent and kick-ass heroine. It can be argued that the emotional impact of the event strengthens Mercy's relationship with both the pack and the men in her life, but surely there is a better way of achieving these without undercutting the heroine. Thankfully, the last chapter of the book suggests that she is on the road to recovery and somewhat mitigates the harm done.

This situation, together with the lack of positively portrayed female characters in the series, is beginning to lead me to the unfortunate conclusion that Brigg's doesn't seem to like women very much. I hope that the next books will prove me wrong.

On a happier note, the love triangle subplot finally comes to an end when Mercy makes a choice between Adam and Samuel. Her ultimate decision is based both on logical reasoning and emotional investment and is, I believe, the correct choice for her.

All in all, despite my issues with the questionable plot device in this installment, the Mercy Thompson series is well written and entertaining, and I have to admit that the scene between Ben and Adam had me tearing up. Looking forward to what happens in Bone Crossed. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Liked the further revelations about the Fae and the Grey Lords- much like the Fair Folk of my ancestors' tales, you do NOT want to attract their attention, and if you do, dear gawd, be polite and VERY CAREFUL.
Mercy has to bite her tongue a LOT in her encounters with the Fae- and her Coyote ways do allow her to step carefully and tread lightly. I definitely enjoy her ways of not saying "Thank You" without actually saying "Thank You" (which- in this world- is apparently a way of putting yourself into a Fae's debt and subsequent servitude.)
More is revealed about Pack politics, too, and I really liked Mercy being in a position where she is learning- she really doesn't know all about Pack Politics or Pack magic.
Still can't classify Mercy as a Shero yet- notthat that's a bad thing, but I wish I could figure out why Ilona's girls seem Sheroic to me but Mercy doesn't yet. If anyone wants to discuss, msg me on Goodreads. ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
At first, I was getting ready to be real tired of Mercy and her stupid love triangle. I don't really like Samuel or Adam, which didn't help. But this is why I love the Mercy Thompson books: it's not all about the romance. There was a pretty big complicated plot going on as well, and by the time I'd finished, I'd actually grown to like Adam himself.

I really enjoyed the plot itself. The Fae make very cool...enemies? Allies? Whatever they are in this book. And Mercy has always appealed to me with her mechanic career and, I suppose, maturity. She doesn't make a sassy comment every single time the opportunity presents itself, she doesn't exhaust herself trying to prove that she's a tough independent woman. Sure, she can be witty and outspoken at times, but she knows when to stay silent. I appreciate that she doesn't try to hard to be a "strong, independent heroine."

I'm also in love with the ending, and the unexpected respect and realism confronting rape. It was very well done. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 15, 2016 |
I love these characters, and this book continues to develop all of my favorites. Just as the last book brought in more vampire business, this one brings in more of the fae. The relationship between Mercy and Zee is one of my favorites, and it's given a few moments to shine in this volume. Although the book does take a darker turn toward the end, I appreciated that far less time and description is spent on the actual violence and far more on the aftermath and recovery from that violence. I also appreciated that the love triangle business is essentially done after this book and the characters can all move on with their lives. I have to also mention that one of the things that I love about these books is that the main character has people who love her and people who really just don't, and they're not evil or necessarily her enemies for not liking her. Some eventually come around to loving her, others won't. It's a touch of realism that sometimes gets missed in books like these. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jul 5, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler,MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Collin: Collector of all that is Sharp and Pointy Dragon Slayer
"A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic watched Queen of the Damned," I murmured.

It wasn't hard to follow the scent of blood to the living room where the fae had been killed. It had been a violent death, perfect for creating ghosts.

Mercy Thompson enjoys being a mechanic, but life is never simple given her increasing closeness to the local werewolf pack, and her ability to change into coyote form at will. And when a member of the fae comunity calls in a favour, needing her skills for a covert murder investigation, she jumps into the hunt.

But the dangers multiply and she clashes with shadowed creatures of great power. When her old boss Zee is charged with a brutal assassination, Mercy finds herself fighting alone. There are those who love her, who would keep her safe, but she is wary and holds her freedom precious. Until, that is, she has nothing left to lose but her life...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015662, Mass Market Paperback)

When her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, it's up to shapeshifting car mechanic Mercy Thompson to clear his name, whether he wants her to or not. And she'll have to choose between the two werewolves in her life-whether she wants to or not.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Shapeshifting mechanic Mercy Thompson finds her loyalty sorely tested when her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, while she is trying to choose between Sam and Adam, the two werewolves she loves.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,744,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible