The Next Fifty Years: Science in the First…

The Next Fifty Years: Science in the First Half of the Twenty-first…

by John Brockman (Editor)

Other authors: Peter Atkins (Contributor), Samuel Barondes (Contributor), Paul Bloom (Contributor), Rodney Brooks (Contributor), Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (Contributor)20 more, Paul Davies (Contributor), Richard Dawkins (Contributor), Nancy Etcoff (Contributor), Paul W. Ewald (Contributor), David Gelernter (Contributor), Brian Goodwin (Contributor), Alison Gopnik (Contributor), Judith Rich Harris (Contributor), Marc D. Hauser (Contributor), John H. Holland (Contributor), Stuart Kauffman (Contributor), Jaron Lanier (Contributor), Joseph Ledoux (Contributor), Geoffrey Miller (Contributor), Martin Rees (Contributor), Robert M. Sapolsky (Contributor), Roger C. Schank (Contributor), Lee Smolin (Contributor), Ian Stewart (Contributor), Steven Strogatz (Contributor)

English (5)  Spanish (1)  All languages (6)
4 ( )
  ronchan | Nov 14, 2016 |
Interesting collection of technological/scientific predictions. Since the book is somewhat dated, some predictions have been shown to be correct/incorrect. I appreciated the predictions for the life sciences, medicine, and psychology. ( )
  GlennBell | May 20, 2015 |
This is a book for those who wish to be entertained for a few hours. However, if you're looking for serious predictions on the future, you ought to go where everyone else goes: back to bed. ( )
  ral12345 | Jun 5, 2009 |
When I first got this book (2003), I was very excited about the concept of a book of short essays on what we expect to see over the next fifty years of science. But now as I look at it, I am disappointed by the author selection: Lee Smolin next to Martin Rees, and Paul Davies next to Richard Dawkins? How is a layperson supposed to know who to trust and who might be a little off their rockers?* Then there's poor Ian Stewart predicing that the Poincare conjecture won't be proved by 2050; the book was sadly out of date no more than two weeks after I finished reading it. Basically, some of the essays probably do have merit, but since it most likely takes someone knowledgeable in that field to be able to say so, this book has little overall to offer. Might be entertaining again come 2050, though :)

*For the record, when it comes to pointificating on science, my money is on Rees and Dawkins. ( )
  mollishka | Aug 27, 2008 |
Essays by really smart people. Much like the great stuff on Brockman's www.edge.com site.
  fpagan | Dec 25, 2006 |

Schank, Roger C.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smolin, LeeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Strogatz, StevenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375713425, Paperback)

Scientists love to speculate about the direction research and technology will take us, and editor John Brockman has given a stellar panel free rein to imagine the future in The Next Fifty Years. From brain-swapping and the hunt for extraterrestrials to the genetic elimination of unhappiness and a new scientific morality, the ideas in this book are wild and thought-provoking. The list of scientists and thinkers who participate is impressive: Lee Smolin and Martin Rees on cosmology; Ian Stewart on mathematics; and Richard Dawkins and Paul Davies on the life sciences, just to name a few. Many of the authors remind readers that science has changed a lot since the blind optimism of the early 20th century, and they are unanimously aware of the potential consequences of the developments they describe. Fifty years is a long time in the information age, and these essays do a credible and entertaining job of guessing where we're going. --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

A brilliant ensemble of the world's most visionary scientists provides twenty-five original never-before-published essays about the advances in science and technology that we may see within our lifetimes. Theoretical physicist and bestselling author Paul Davies examines the likelihood that by the year 2050 we will be able to establish a continuing human presence on Mars. Psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi investigates the ramifications of engineering high-IQ, geneticially happy babies. Psychiatrist Nancy Etcoff explains current research into the creation of emotion-sensing jewelry that could gauge our moods and tell us when to take an anti-depressant pill. And evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins explores the probability that we will soon be able to obtain a genome printout that predicts our natural end for the same cost as a chest x-ray. (Will we want to read it? And will insurance companies and governments have access to it?) This fascinating and unprecedented book explores not only the practical possibilities of the near future, but also the social and political ramifications of the developments of the strange new world to come. Also includes original essays by: Lee Smolin Martin Rees Ian Stewart Brian Goodwin Marc D. Hauser Alison Gopnik Paul Bloom Geoffrey Miller Robert M. Sapolsky Steven Strogatz Stuart Kauffman John H. Holland Rodney Brooks Peter Atkins Roger C. Schank Jaron Lanier David Gelernter Joseph LeDoux Judith Rich Harris Samuel Barondes Paul W. Ewald… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,400,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible