The Prisoner of Zenda (illustrated by…

The Prisoner of Zenda (illustrated by Charles Dana Gibson) (original 1894; edition 1898)

by Anthony Hope

Member:aluvalibri
Title:The Prisoner of Zenda (illustrated by Charles Dana Gibson)
Authors:Anthony Hope
Info:Grosset & Dunlap, New York
Tags:fiction, 19th century, adventure, Britain, collectible

The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope (1894)

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (LKAYC)
    Royal Flash by George MacDonald Fraser (AlexBr)
    AlexBr: Harry Flashman believes Anthony Hope got the idea for 'The Prisoner of Zenda' from him.
    Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair by David Stuart Davies (simon_carr)
    The Mad King by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Michael.Rimmer)
    Green Mansions by W. H. Hudson (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both are stories of a young man thrown into a foreign culture and forced to survive on his wits. And the love stories both don't have the typical happy ending.
    Westmark by Lloyd Alexander (panbiot)
    panbiot: L'argomento ha dei punti in commune. Secondo me c'è una filiazione come genere di romanzo.
    Greenmantle by John Buchan (chrisharpe)

English (41)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (44)
Ӕ
  ngunity | Nov 23, 2014 |
The prisoner of Zenda is a tale of intrigue and adventure set in the late nineteenth century. Rudolf of Rassendyll is a prince who is kind of like a playboy, who goes through life with no real purpose doing things that interest him. He is drawn to the kingdom of Ruriritania, a fictional land located in Europe (most likely near Germany). His cousin is about to be crowned as the king when he is taken prisoner by his brother Black Michael, who would like to be the king. Since Rudolf looks exactly like the king, they use him to stand in the king’s place as they try to rescue him from Black Michael.

This was an enjoyable piece of adventure fiction. The writing had a nice flow to it. There was a lot going on underneath the surface, which wasn’t really noticeable while I was reading it because it was easy to get caught up in the story. The character of Rudolf had a certain charm to him that made him very likeable. Although Black Michael is ostensibly the antagonist, the more intriguing antagonistic character is Rupert of Henzau, who served as a good foil to Rudolf. The story was filled with intrigue. I also enjoyed the brevity of the novel. It moved quickly and there were few wasted words. There was a lot to like about this novel and not very much as far as drawbacks except for perhaps some of the language in spots. There is action, adventure, good characters, romance, enough for any reader of fiction to like.

Carl Alves – author of Two For Eternity ( )
  Carl_Alves | Sep 27, 2014 |
This story just didn't do it for me. The supporting characters were wooden and lifeless. I just didn't care. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 17, 2014 |
I enjoyed this classic adventure story tremendously! The book gives a bit more background to Rudolf Rassendale and has an extended wrap up, but otherwise the Ronald Coleman movie was very true to the book, so I didn't have many surprises. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Andy Minter does an excellent job narrating this adventure classic. Unfortunately I was unable to get the voices of the movie actors out of my head (Ronald Colman, C. Aubrey Smith, etc.), which didn't always match up with Minter's narration. However, if you don't have that particular problem, then I would recommend this Librivox recording! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 15, 2014 |

Anthony Hopeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibson, Charles DanaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCaig, IanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Minter, AndyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, S. C.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, TonyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilby, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'I wonder when in the world you're going to do anything, Rudolf?' said my brother's wife.
Look where I would, I saw nothing that made life sweet to me, and I took my life in my hand and carried it carelessly as a man dangles an old glove.
This is the main work for The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:04 -0400)

Rudolph Rassendyll's life is interrupted by his unexpected and personal involvement in the affairs of Ruritania whilst travelling through the town of Zenda. He is shortly on the way to Streslau, the capital, where he finds himself engaged in plans to rescue the imprisoned king.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,386,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible