Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us…

Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow (edition 2005)

by Elizabeth Lesser

Presents spiritual advice on dealing with change, loss, fear, and risk taking, with true stories about ordinary people, and excerpts from the writings of various spiritual teachers.
Member:kateotter
Title:Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow
Authors:Elizabeth Lesser
Info:Villard (2005), Paperback, 352 pages

Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow by Elizabeth Lesser

English (5)  French (1)  All languages (6)
I bought this book to give to a friend who is going through hard times. I didn't expect to sit down and read it cover to cover, but I did. Elizabeth Lesser has a fluid way of writing, and a wonderful way of sharing her experiences with some big name new-age heavyweights without every sounding like she is talking down to her readers. She mixes her own life experiences with those of others and offers up a philosophy that encourages us to stay open to learning from life, rather than fighting against change. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
Not what I was expecting. ( )
  JerseyGirl21 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Thanks, Nancy! ( )
  jennybooks | Oct 8, 2012 |
A helpful book to recommend to persons who are struggling to find meaning in the midst of adversity. ( )
  txjuju | Mar 7, 2009 |
Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow, by Elizabeth Lesser, is a collection of stories and observations about coming through what Lesser calls a Phoenix Process - rebirth after going down in flames, as it were. This is not the type of book I normally read. However, I am in the process of going through my own personal life-changing event, and when I saw this book in the grocery store I impulsively decided to buy it. Lesser tells many stories about change and transition - divorce, death, illness - and shows that through life's crises we can choose to grow. She draws on many different traditions and teachings, from Christianity and Buddhism, psychology and poetry. This is most definitely NOT a how-to book. Lesser offers no specific guidance or answers. What she wants her reader to do is to open themselves up to the process of change, defeat and grief so that they can emerge with insights into their own soul. Although this is not the type of book I typically read, I did take away a few important personal insights. The most important insight for me right now is that I need to stop resisting the river of change. I am a great resister, and find that I will fight far beyond what is necessary - or good. I need to learn to go with the flow and to let the currents take me into unexpected waters. ( )
  Talbin | Jan 13, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,895,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible