The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories…

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories (1936)

by Ernest Hemingway

English (44)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (47)
The title story, The Snows of Kilimanjaro, is one of Hemingway’s most famous and no doubt garners such appeal because it deals with the essence of every man’s life...what he has accomplished before he dies. Some see it as a treatise on procrastination, but I do not. I believe it is every man’s lot to die with things undone, hopes unrealized, opportunities missed, and I think Hemingway is making that point as well. We are busy living our lives and these things slip by us, sometimes without a thought, but often with the idea that we will come back to them, do them later, and then life runs out, as life always does. We all die in the midst of living. A secondary, but important theme, would seem to me to be that of isolation. No matter who is there holding our hands, soothing our brows, we die alone. No one can take that journey with us, and those who will continue to live after we are gone do not truly understand our going as we understand it, as an end of second chances, a startling realization that whatever we might have done is lost to us now, forever.

A Day’s Wait is an amazing bit of literature, packed into three scant pages. It is about waiting for death, and the wonder of being spared. I found it very striking and all the more so because of the childish perspective from which it is told.

Fathers and Sons A Way You’ll Never Be and The Killers are Nick Adams stories. Nick is a recurring character for Hemingway, and every time I encounter him in Hemingway’s writing, I feel I have added a piece to a puzzle that I have been working on for decades. Someday I would like to read all the Nick Adams stories together and see if the entire puzzle comes into focus.

In the Fall the war was always there, but we did not go to it any more. Thus begins In Another Country, which is about the unexpected nature of death and the elusiveness of bravery, and this line seemed to set up the story so perfectly for me. Another line I loved, The three with the metals were like hunting-hawks; and I was not a hawk, although I might have seemed a hawk to those who had never hunted; they, the three, knew better, and so we drifted apart.

Fifty Grand registered nothing with me. I do not like prize fighting and I was surprised to find my mind wandering even in the midst of the story.

Finally, The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber is an astounding story about cowardice, sex and marriage, set against the backdrop of a safari. The descriptions of the hunting were difficult to read, they were so stark and from my view senseless, but they served to draw pictures of Macomber, his wife and the Great White Hunter, Wilson. The end was a shocker for me, and I loved the uncertainty surrounding what had happened.

Hemingway is a deceptive storyteller. His stories seem so straightforward and simple, but they are extremely complex and he mines the depths of a man’s soul and often makes you grimace at what you find there. He sometimes seems to be saying that we are all the same...just carrion headed for death...but there in the details you find the devil, we are all exceedingly individual and unique and alone in the journey from cradle to grave.

phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
Alright, so I tried reading Hemingway's COMPLETE short story collection, which was a behemoth, and I ultimately found myself 'counting pages'. A lot of the stories were just coming and going...they were of no interest or importance. I gave up about half-way through, sold it, and bought this collection. This is a very good book, with great stories. Short and sweet. ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
This book is drawn from other works and I have read all of the stories several times before either online or in other collected works. Rather than read in awe of the master, this reading had me feeling sorry for the depressing note to all things. While this makes the short stories art, it also hints at a fragility, but not of manhood, as Hemingway's critics often suggest, but of the absurd. And yet Hemingway had no time for the absurd, or at least, Malcolm Cowley with:...a stupid look on his potato face talking about the Dada movement...Yet here, in this collection, I couldn't help but think of the meaninglessness of life and Hemingway's enunciation of the absurd, building over and over in a collection put together, not by Hemingway, but by others. I suspect this is worth looking into further and a few re-reads of Hemingway's major works might benefit from a view through this lens. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
These stories seem quite dated and straight out of the men's magazines of an earlier period: fixed boxing matches, safaris in Africa, stories of organized crime and n****r cooks.

Yet there is no doubt that this guy's writing stands with the best and packs a wallop yet today. We know the landscape and the people and gasp at the all too recognizable human-ness of them, even while being cognizant of the time gone by.

My two favorite stories of the collection are both about death and Africa: 'The Snows of Kalamjaro' and 'The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber' . That's where the similarities end. These two will remain with me.
  streamsong | Oct 15, 2017 |
The dude can write a short story. The bar has been set. ( )
1 vote LongTrang117 | Oct 6, 2017 |

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edinga, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kilimanjaro is a snow-covered mountain 19,710 feet high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa.
The Finnish collection Kilimandšaron lumet contains 21 short stories from the collection First Forty-Nine Stories. Please do not combine.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684804441, Paperback)

Returning from a Kenyan safari in 1932, Ernest Hemingway quickly devised a literary trophy to add to his stash of buffalo hides and rhino horns. To this day, Green Hills of Africa seems an almost perverse paean to the thrills of bloodshed, in which the author cuts one notch after another in his gun barrel and declares, "I did not mind killing anything." Four years later, however, Hemingway came up with a more accomplished spin on his African experiences--a pair of them, in fact, which he collected with eight other tales in The Snows of Kilimanjaro. The title story is a meditation on corruption and mortality, two subjects that were already beginning to preoccupy the 37-year-old author. As the protagonist perishes of gangrene out in the bush, he recognizes his own failure of nerve as a writer:
Now he would never write the things that he had saved to write until he knew enough to write them well. Well, he would not have to fail at trying to write them either. Maybe you could never write them, and that was why you put them off and delayed the starting. Well he would never know, now.
In the story, at least, the hero gets some points for stoic acceptance, as well as an epiphanic vision of Kilimanjaro's summit, "wide as all the world, great, high, and unbelievably white in the sun." (The movie version is another matter: Gregory Peck makes it back to the hospital, loses a leg, and is a better person for it.) But Hemingway's other great white hunter, in "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber," is granted a less dignified exit. This time the issue is cowardice, another of Papa's bugaboos: poor Francis is too wimpy to face down a wounded lion, let alone satisfy his treacherous wife in bed. Yet he does manage a last-minute triumph before dying--an absolute assertion of courage--which makes the title a hair less ironic than it initially seems. No wonder these are two of the highest-caliber (so to speak) tales in the Hemingway canon. --Bob Brandeis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:01 -0400)

Contains a collection of ten short fiction stories by American author Ernest Hemingway including the title work about a hardened adventurer on safari in Africa who must face his innermost fears when an accident threatens to cut short his life.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,804,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible