The Snows of Kilimanjaro by Ernest Hemingway

The Snows of Kilimanjaro (original 1936; edition 2004)

by Ernest Hemingway

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Snows of Kilimanjaro
Authors:Ernest Hemingway
Info:Vintage (2004), Paperback, 144 pages

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway (1936)

English (40)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (43)
A couple, Harry and Helen, in Africa--he is dying of gangrene; she is by his side, taking care of him. My first Hemingway (since high school) and I really enjoyed it. His writing conveys the inner conflicted soul. Great short story, one of Papa's greatest? How would I know, my first since High school. ( )
  buffalogr | Feb 7, 2017 |
This short story collection starts strong with the eponymous "Snows of Kilimanjaro" and "A Clean Well-Lighted Place" and ends strong with another of my favorites: "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber." Of the ten short stories featured in this collection, four are also featured in the Nick Adams Stories. Personally I enjoyed those more in the context of the latter posthumous volume, but, overall, this book is a great overview of Hemingway's style and major themes for new readers and required reading for all fans. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
As a fan of Hemingway's writing, I once owned an unabridged collection of his short stories, from which I would read 2-3 every month until I finished them all. Thus, though it was many years ago, I was familiar with each of these short stories, but had forgotten much of the plot and substance. Since I chose this book because the World Literature group had chosen two of them, I'll review only those two short stories.

The Snows of Kilimanjaro still seems to be such a sad piece about lost opportunities, though I question some of it because we don't know whether the writer was any good at his craft. As the reader we only suppose he was as good as he seems to think he was. If so, why didn't he continue writing instead of becoming something of a prostitute for this woman who went with him all over the world. Why not use those trips to gather material and/or write. Whose fault is that - the one who provides the money or the one who smothers the talent.

The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber seems to be very mysognistic. Even in the 70s I thought so. Margot Macomber is the evil in the story. She is the supposed money grubbing wife who has married Francis for his money, engaged in a series of affairs throughout their marriage, including on safari, and then murdered Francis as he is regaining his courage in order to preserve her grasp on the money. In addition, she appears to be a threat to Robert Wilson, the hunting guide, because she knows he is breaking the hunting laws in order to give his clients the trophies they wish to take home.

Of course, the men have their failings, but Hemingway made theirs the lesser sins. Francis admits that he married Margot for looks and that there have been problems in the marriage, but that they have not divorced. He had the upper hand as the wealthy husband, why didn't he take his chance for freedom? During the safari he runs from the wounded lion and proves his cowardice. Afterwards, Margot goes to Wilson's bed and Francis makes it clear that she's done similar things in the past, yet he does nothing more than complain.

Robert Wilson is the white hunting guide. He speaks the native languages and hires the natives for the trips. They do the work on the trip, finding the prey, carrying the guns, keeping track of the prey and stalking if necessary, field dressing the kills. Wilson admits that he beat them for any infractions, another breaking of the rules. Wilson is clearly a womanizer. He takes a double sized cot on his safaris because the adulation of the women is one of the perks. Finally, after the murder, he assures Margot that he will play his part in covering it up.

The problem I have with making Margot such a total villain is that we never get her side of the story. We only know her from her verbal responses to the men and their views of her throughout the story. We aren't privy to what she feels, knows, or fears. Certainly she is not blameless, but a more intimate knowledge of her certainly would have made her more complex and less black and white. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Jan 8, 2017 |
Hemingway at his most Hemingwayesque. Does that tell you what you need to know? ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Jul 3, 2016 |
I love the ending of this short story. ( )
  joefreiburger | Jul 3, 2016 |

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edinga, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kilimanjaro is a snow-covered mountain 19,710 feet high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa.
The Finnish collection Kilimandšaron lumet contains 21 short stories from the collection First Forty-Nine Stories. Please do not combine.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684804441, Paperback)

Returning from a Kenyan safari in 1932, Ernest Hemingway quickly devised a literary trophy to add to his stash of buffalo hides and rhino horns. To this day, Green Hills of Africa seems an almost perverse paean to the thrills of bloodshed, in which the author cuts one notch after another in his gun barrel and declares, "I did not mind killing anything." Four years later, however, Hemingway came up with a more accomplished spin on his African experiences--a pair of them, in fact, which he collected with eight other tales in The Snows of Kilimanjaro. The title story is a meditation on corruption and mortality, two subjects that were already beginning to preoccupy the 37-year-old author. As the protagonist perishes of gangrene out in the bush, he recognizes his own failure of nerve as a writer:
Now he would never write the things that he had saved to write until he knew enough to write them well. Well, he would not have to fail at trying to write them either. Maybe you could never write them, and that was why you put them off and delayed the starting. Well he would never know, now.
In the story, at least, the hero gets some points for stoic acceptance, as well as an epiphanic vision of Kilimanjaro's summit, "wide as all the world, great, high, and unbelievably white in the sun." (The movie version is another matter: Gregory Peck makes it back to the hospital, loses a leg, and is a better person for it.) But Hemingway's other great white hunter, in "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber," is granted a less dignified exit. This time the issue is cowardice, another of Papa's bugaboos: poor Francis is too wimpy to face down a wounded lion, let alone satisfy his treacherous wife in bed. Yet he does manage a last-minute triumph before dying--an absolute assertion of courage--which makes the title a hair less ironic than it initially seems. No wonder these are two of the highest-caliber (so to speak) tales in the Hemingway canon. --Bob Brandeis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:01 -0400)

Contains a collection of ten short fiction stories by American author Ernest Hemingway including the title work about a hardened adventurer on safari in Africa who must face his innermost fears when an accident threatens to cut short his life.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,426,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible