Run by Ann Patchett

Run (2007)

by Ann Patchett

Swamplandia! by Karen Russell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A dramatic incident provokes adult siblings to explore their lives and relationships in these moving and lyrical novels. While more about family than race, both books include thought-provoking meditations on the complexity of racial relations in 21st century America.… (more)

English (154)  Dutch (1)  All (155)
OK, I didn't think it was her best book. I never really got the picture of why all the characters were part of the story-line. Clever plot; and the race-issue was truly subtle as an under-current. #josephkingreview ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Feb 22, 2017 |
I enjoyed it—Patchett is such a great writer— but I didn't love it as much as I have her other books. The characters in this one seem a little too nice; their flaws don't tarnish them much. It's a good story, but even with the tragedies included, it feels a bit too sweet, and everyone ends up a bit too happy. ( )
  NatalieSW | Feb 8, 2017 |
This was a lovely book. It is made up of so many emotionally wringing parts - family, parenthood, relationships between siblings, parent's desires for their children, the reality of loss, fulfilling one's own dreams versus the dreams of one's parents, the need to be politically involved, race relations, and even more.

The story begins with the death of Bernadette, Doyle's wife. We learn than Doyle, a former mayor wants his two younger adopted sons, both black siblings who were taken into his white family, to make a career of politics. Neither Tip, the older one, wanted to do this because his love was ichthyology (the science of fishes) nor did Teddy, the younger son, because he wanted to go into the clergy. The story gets more complicated as we are introduced to Doyle's oldest son Sullivan and the birth mother of Tip and Teddy.

One of the things I most loved about this book was the tenderness the characters felt for each other. I think every family has its stresses, and it is comforting to see these stresses resolved when family members work hard at it.

My favorite chapter of this novel was the one in which Tennessee's dead friend comes to visit her in the hospital room. Those two had an especially lengthy and heartwarming conversation showing the depth of their friendship.

Ann Patchet has really suprised me. I didn't much care for her first novel Bel Canto which almost put me to sleep reading it. I then beca,e very intrigued with her novel State of Wonder. Since reading Run, I've definitely become a fan of her work and look forward to reading more of her novels in the future. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Jan 16, 2017 |
My notes say I acquired this book for my book club, but I'm sure I didn't read it until now. It was a pleasure--beautifully written in terms of both the prose itself and the story/characters. Widower Bernard Doyle has three sons: Sullivan, a bad boy who has just returned from Africa, and the adopted black brothers Tip and Terry, one a studious ichthyologist and the other religiously devout and devoted to their uncle, a retired priest. Doyle is a former mayor of Boston, his career ruined when Sullivan's car accident resulted in his girlfriend's death, who has transferred his political ambition to his two younger sons. But Tip only cares about fish and Terry only cares about his uncle, who is reputed to be able to cure the sick. One snowy evening the two sons join Doyle at a Jesse Jackson speech, after which an SUV skids in the snow. Tip is pushed out of the way by a woman who is injured; he escapes with a broken ankle, but she is taken to the hospital for surgery. Her young daughter travels to the hospital with the Doyles, who learn that the woman is actually the mother who gave the two sons up for adoption. Kenya, the daughter, is a runner (hence the novel's title). The entire novel takes place in one 24-hour period, with a final chapter set about four years later.
  ejj1955 | Oct 24, 2016 |
I find it hard to understand why this book has so divided Good Reads reviewers. If it is not their sort of book why on earth did they read it. I know I make the odd mistake, but that is normally when a writer I normally read produces a book out of left field. But this is a book by Ann Pratchett, author of the wonderful "Bel Canto" and you get what you should expect; wonderful writing about real lives. I really enjoyed this book which tells a story essentially within the bounds of the three unities, of time, place and action, that touched my heart. The characters are memorable and will stay with me. It tells us a lot about families and what shapes relationships within them. It tells us something about racial attitudes in the USA without preaching at us. But above all it tells us a story with all the skills that Ann Pratchett has in her formidable armoury. I wait, patiently but expectantly for "Commonwealth". ( )
  johnwbeha | Oct 5, 2016 |

Patchett, Annprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montijn, HienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sister, Heather Patchettand my stepmother, Jerri Patchett
Bernadette had been dead two weeks when her sisters showed up in Doyle's living room asking for the statue back.
Beg all you want, Doyle never read more than a chapter a night.
Bernadette's luck had been her life, her love for her husband and her son's, the joy in her home. Her existence did not add up to a handful of tests meant to win her place in heaven.
That was not to say they were all thinking noble thought of medical science. Most of them, he knew them well enough to say, were probably thinking of dinner about now, about cleaning out their apartments and getting the hell out of Baltimore.

Since their mother's death, Tip and Teddy Doyle have been raised by their loving, possessive, and ambitious father. As the former mayor of Boston, Bernard Doyle wants to see his sons in politics, a dream the boys have never shared. But when an argument in a blinding New England snowstorm inadvertently causes an accident that involves a stranger and her child, all Bernard cares about is his ability to keep his children—all his children—safe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Struggling with single parenthood and a scandal that cost him his political career, Bernard Doyle fights his disappointment with his adopted sons' career choices before a violent event forces the members of his family to reconsider their priorities.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,891,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible