Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner

Certain Girls (2008)

by Jennifer Weiner

Recently added bymegansbooklist, JudithDCollins

This book made me cringe at just how awful I probably was in middle school. The daughter in the story isn't a bad kid, she's just your typical adolescent, and she was a total brat. I can definitely empathize with my mom a little more after this book. ( )
  megansbooklist | Nov 30, 2014 |
"Jennifer always keeps you laughing! You must read all her books!" ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
I read this in one day, but that doesn't necessarily mean I loved this book. I didn't find out until I went to post this review that this book is the second in a series. That being said I had no idea and had no problem following the storyline.

The story follows Cannie and her daughter, Joy, as they try to come to terms with Joy growing up. The alternating chapters really help illustrate the gap between mother and daughter. As Joy prepares for adulthood (she's thirteen), her mom wants to put her life on hold and keep her young forever. Witty, funny, this story emphasizes the complexities of mother and daughter relationships and the strength and understanding needed to stay sane.

Overall, this was alright but not earth shattering. Good read for those that like chick lit. ( )
  ecataldi | Aug 25, 2013 |
I found the author's style of switching back and forth from the mother's perspective to the daughter's perspective, without warning, just a little bit confusing. I enjoyed, and could relate to, the struggle between mother and daughter. The confusion of a family that is not "normal".

My problem with this book, is that I try to avoid books that make me sad. I read for "escapism". Having the otherwise healthy husband die without warning in his 40s at the end of the book ruined it for me. I realize this kind of thing happens in real life too, but had I expected something like this I may not have read this book, at this time. I nearly lost my husband a few months ago. This brought back all those fears for me. Too painfully real. ( )
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |
I cried pretty hard towards the end, but I still loved this story! No whitewashing! Only true characters, who acted like actual people do in the real world.

Full review to come soon both here and on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
From J. Weiner's homepage: CERTAIN GIRLS was originally called HESITATION WALTZ, which is an actual dance, and which described, to me, the way various characters in the story hovered on the brink of big changes. http://jenniferweiner.com/faqs.htm

It's been almost thirteen years since we last saw Cannie Shapiro, the heroine of Good in Bed, whose journey towards happy-ever-after made millions of women the world over laugh, cry and recognise themselves. The last decade of Cannie's life has brought some surprises. Her life story, in fictional form, became an unexpected bestseller, and Cannie has since retreated from fame's fallout, writing science-fiction under a pen name and praying that all her daughter inherited from her father, Cannie's ex-boyfriend Bruce Guberman, are her curls and her eye-colour, and not his predilection for smoking pot. Meanwhile Cannie's best friend, Samantha, is looking for love in all the wrong places, and Cannie's husband, Peter, has decided that he'd like to have a baby, and the family's first choice for a surrogate is none other than Cannie's flamboyant kid sister ...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:07 -0400)

No longer famous, journalist Cannie Shapiro writes science fiction under a pen name while raising her teenage daughter, and considers her husband Peter's request to have Cannie's flamboyant sister provide surrogate services so that they can have a second child.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,366,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible