Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner

Certain Girls (2008)

by Jennifer Weiner

Recently added byrena75, Tania57, mtzionlibrary, TayaW

Fairly decent book! Not as good as Good in Bed but enjoyable for any Jennifer Weiner fans! ( )
  TayaW | Jul 3, 2019 |
I didn't like this one quite as much as her others, but an unexpected plot twist bumped my rating from 3 to 4 stars. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
Well...what's to say about this book; it's no different than any other book Jennifer Weiner has written. Fat chick whining about being fat.

The first Jennifer book I read was "In Her Shoes". I read it because I saw the movie adaption because I love the actress who plays the older sister. Being an only child I was totally enthralled by the relationship between the sisters in the book and the grandmother they didn't know. I loved watching how both sisters transformed and became different women. And I loved that the main character was a normal sized juicey woman like myself. Smart, sassy, bold - just like me.

So then I picked up Little Earthquakes. Yeah, not bad. Again, I don't have kids so it was really interesting to read the stories of four completely different women and how they handled becoming mothers.

By then I was totally sucked into Jennifer's world. I picked up Good Night, Nobody next. I was digging the whole city woman moving to the boring suburbs having to deal with all the prissy SAHMs who are the extreme opposite of our heroine - women who feed their children only organic food and keep themselves dressed in the latest trends from Talbots and Anne Taylor. I could totally commiserate with the heroine mom - laid back in jeans and a t-shirt, let's her kids drink juice boxes and have snacks with sugar in them. And it was a fun book - a mystery of sorts too.

But then I read Good in Bed and by this time I was really tired of reading the whining that all of Jennifer's fat chick character do about their fatness. I'm overweight myself, but I hope to God I don't complain like these women do. Five books of reading about women complaining about their weight. It gets annoying and old. Really, really old.

I completely skipped The Guy Not Taken. I surely didn't want to read another book about a fat woman and her woes of being fat, and oh by the way here is the real plot of the book thrown in for spice.

This brings me right up to Certain Girls. I needed some light summer reading after reading "The Emperor's Children" and "Escape" and parts of Stephen Kings "Lisey's Story". I figured what could be more fluffy and light than a Jennifer Weiner book. Plus I hadn't read one of her books in over two years, so why not give it a chance.

Right off the bat the complaining begins. I know that book is a continuation of "Good in Bed" so I shouldn't have been shocked, but I wish Jennifer would get another schtick.

I like that her female characters are realistic women. They're not super heroes, they're not skin and bones working for some ad agency or working for a TV program or working for some magazine literary giant who's a bit bitch. Just normal women. Yeah, we're all self-concious about our weight. But every chapter included Cannie's self-conciousness about her weight and her daughter's self-conciousness about having a mother who is over-weight. Great. Who wants to read about that yet again?

By the end of the book even I was more paranoid about my weight. Am I that ugly? Is the salesperson ignoring me because I'm fatter than the clothes they sell? Am I not as intelligent as that skinny girl over there?

The book was supposed to be entertaining. But it wasn't. So why did I finish it? I enjoyed reading about Joy, the daughter - when she wasn't complaining about her mom's weight. Her complaining about her mom in general was fine - what girl didn't complain or feel embarrassed about her mom when we were Joy's age - 12 going on 22?

Something that makes me chuckle: I love the Jewish community in the book. How all the kids go to a Jewish school, how they all attend each other's bar and bat mitzvah's. How Jennifer throws in some yiddish here and there. I like reading about that because it's not the life I have. It's fun.

Overall it's okay. Don't buy the book, get it from your library. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
didnt enjoy the sequel as much as the first book Good In Bed but I did enjoy it. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
From J. Weiner's homepage: CERTAIN GIRLS was originally called HESITATION WALTZ, which is an actual dance, and which described, to me, the way various characters in the story hovered on the brink of big changes. http://jenniferweiner.com/faqs.htm

It's been almost thirteen years since we last saw Cannie Shapiro, the heroine of Good in Bed, whose journey towards happy-ever-after made millions of women the world over laugh, cry and recognise themselves. The last decade of Cannie's life has brought some surprises. Her life story, in fictional form, became an unexpected bestseller, and Cannie has since retreated from fame's fallout, writing science-fiction under a pen name and praying that all her daughter inherited from her father, Cannie's ex-boyfriend Bruce Guberman, are her curls and her eye-colour, and not his predilection for smoking pot. Meanwhile Cannie's best friend, Samantha, is looking for love in all the wrong places, and Cannie's husband, Peter, has decided that he'd like to have a baby, and the family's first choice for a surrogate is none other than Cannie's flamboyant kid sister ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:38 -0400)

No longer famous, journalist Cannie Shapiro writes science fiction under a pen name while raising her teenage daughter, and considers her husband Peter's request to have Cannie's flamboyant sister provide surrogate services so that they can have a second child.… (more)

Jennifer Weiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,374,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible