Women by Charles Bukowski

Women (1978)

by Charles Bukowski

English (36)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (42)
First I hated it, then I loved it and in the end it was a wild ride. ( )
  MartinEdasi | Mar 11, 2018 |
Buckets of ink have been spilled in the praise of this book. Not like it needs more, but here's is my grain of sand.

There’s no way in hell, this novel could’ve been written in this day and age of hyper-sensitive ‘special’ snowflakes—the author would’ve been hanged by the balls and left to dry in the hot desert sun for being perceived a misogynist fool (among other things). However, those who dismiss it, fail to see that in order to create something as ballsy and unapologetic as this piece of work. One needs to be brave, and not give a fuck about ruffling any feathers, which remains me; I should read more Charles Bukowski.

Chinaski grabs a beer. Drayer Baba have mercy!
Henry Chinaski is the average Joe, the average nasty sonofabitch, drunken, ugly, and misogynistic poet who beds any c***t who throws herself at him, and they do, by the busloads (some sad, some bonkers, some a combination of both). But hey what’s an old alcoholic at the twilight of his miserable existence to do? Say No? Fuck you buddy! So what if from time to time he can’t get it up? Screw another one because, hey, why the hell not. And so the novel becomes a tad repetitive with the wake up, drink, puke—puke or drink, (been there, done that) go to the race track, do a reading, drink some more, fuck some nubile,(wish I could do this. Often) do a reading, drink, repeat—oh wait, he can’t get it up—okay repeat. Yet it’s done in a raw, funny, repulsive, passionate, honest and breezy way. Midway through the book though, you’ll come to the realization that no one writes this way, meaning; he doesn’t give two fucks about impressing the sneering glitterati. Or anyone. You either like it or hate it, it’s there, raw and festering like a staph infection, or a flower growing in the sewage—take your pick.
Some unexpected insights rewards the readers of this book, with quotes aplenty:

"You're so full of shit!"
I laughed. "That's why I write."

So, if you’re of a sensitive predisposition you might want to steer clear of this one, ya special little snowflake ya. :-) ( )
  Verge0007 | May 20, 2017 |
I don’t think the majority of women will enjoy this book. Bukowski had a complicated and conflicted relationship with women and the book (fictional, barely) holds up to the facts of his life.

The women in the book are a strange mélange of characters. There are jealous alcoholics, speed freaks, literary groupies and cultured ladies. They are all attracted to the main character, Henry Chinaski, for one reason or another.

Henry has left his job as a postal clerk to pursue his writing full time. He has modest success but that isn’t what this book is about. It is about Henry and the many women who come and go from his life. It is also about how these women accept or reject Henry’s chosen lifestyle: an alcoholic writer.

Many of the women in the story are troubled and the descriptions of them are pretty negative and degrading. It is misogynistic and in scene after scene, we are treated to depictions of Henry using these women as sex objects in very degrading descriptions of sex. On the flip side, many of these women buy into whatever Henry is selling so I suppose you could say it was consenting.

Henry does not hesitate to be equally hard on himself. He is a self-described ugly, dirty drunk with no real prospects. His life revolves around writing, drinking, painting and going to the track. He does readings around the country and frequently hooks up with new women, inviting them to come and stay in his filthy apartment in a seamy side of Hollywood.

Bukowski is who he is and I knew going in what I was getting. This one was not my favorite. I don’t think women will enjoy it much if at all and I think men will like it more but still consider it a guilty pleasure in these overly politically correct times. With that being said, Bukowski is one of those American writers every reader should try at least once. ( )
  ozzie65 | Oct 23, 2016 |
This book was absolutely HILARIOUS and crazy.
Bukowski: You were nothing but a filthy pig and I love you for it. This is book can be described in so many different ways:

HONEST
SWEET
DIRTY
QUOTEABLE
EYE-OPENER

If this book was a scratch and sniff sticker; it would smell of sweat, filth, vomit, tobacco, and alcohol. I have a bit of a hangover after reading HAM ON RYE, POST OFFICE, & now WOMEN. I also have kind of a gross feeling about the dirty things that go on in the "underworld". I am going to take a break, and maybe read a romance chick lit novel to cleanse my palette.
I will be back Mr. Bulowski, and this time I will read your poetry, which is where your mind truly flourished. You have some amazing quotes that stick to my guts and I will always love you for it. ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |

Luís, FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthieussent, BriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piňos, TomášTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weissner, CarlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Many a good man has been put under the bridge by a woman."

-HENRY CHINASKI
I was 50 years old and hadn't been to bed with a woman for four years. I had no women friends. I looked at them as I passed them on the streets or wherever I saw them, but I looked at them without yearning and with a sense of futility.

Low-life writer and unrepentant alcoholic Henry Chinaski was born to survive. After decades of slacking off at low-paying dead-end jobs, blowing his cash on booze and women, and scrimping by in flea-bitten apartments, Chinaski sees his poetic star rising at last. Now, at fifty, he is reveling in his sudden rock-star life, running three hundred hangovers a year, and maintaining a sex life that would cripple Casanova.

With all of Bukowski's trademark humor and gritty, dark honesty, this 1978 follow-up to Post Office and Factotum is an uncompromising account of life on the edge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:37 -0400)

Tells the story of an ugly old man who has gone unloved for too long, but a change comes over him as he begins more and more relationships with women.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,681,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible