I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell (2006)

by Tucker Max

Recently added bym0usie, kuhnsman, private library, Kim84manor, Kevin.Foley, Ellie.Pelto, smbook, Talea-Jane, Shannon29
    Love Italian Style: The Secrets of My Hot and Happy Marriage by Melissa Gorga (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: If you need a book about how NOT to behave, and what NOT to expect from decent human beings, this is it. No holds are barred (quite literally, in some cases), so read at your own discretion.
    Apathy and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilan (jbarry)
    jbarry: hilariously and painfully honest!

I have a few things to say about this book...

1.) Tucker Max is not a literary genius. He's not even an exceptionallly good writer. The book contains several mistakes... though I don't know if that is his fault or the publisher's fault. He does use a lot of big words, though, to try to make skeptical readers believe he is smart.

2.) I wish men like him didn't exist. If a man ever talked to me the way he talks to women and about women... I'd most likely punch him without thinking twice. However, I also wish the women that continue to sleep with him didn't exist either. They give women a bad name.

As an aside, I just watched an interview with Tucker Max from when the book first came out. He is incredibly unattractive... how he got all these women to sleep with him, I will never understand... he certainly doesn't seem to have a good personality to make up for deficiencies in the looks department.

3.) I was highly entertained throughout most of this book. Tucker Max is an asshole, he says it himself. Therefore, I expected nothing less than asshole behavior throughout the entire book. And while sure I would be offended if someone actually talked to me like that... I found the book pretty funny overall. It's self-depricating in addition to being a practical sign saying "look at me, I'm so amazing." ( )
  Shannon29 | Jun 25, 2015 |
So Tucker Max isn't a lawyer because he think he can write? LOL. This is just a bunch of random stories put together in no specific order. They all start the same he's drunk, he's behaving like an asshole, yet somehow there are women who want to fuck this. I've read his site before the books and was amused and sadly thought he was hot, I was 15 don't judge. But wow, just wow. He can't write for shit (his grammar, I about died) but he can tell an amusing story. Some of the stories are questionable about how accurate he is portraying them, especially when he's like "I can't make this shit up" or "go ask so and so, he has no reason to lie for me" makes me wonder how true they are. He knows he was an asshole and still is and that a lot of people aren't laughing with him but at him and he can take it while laughing at himself. I can even respect the fact that he knew what he did when he was younger was fucked up, like lying to women and harassing anyone he please instead of just loud mouths bothering him, and actually grown as a person and realize he shouldn't lie because he doesn't have to to find a woman to sleep with him, just has to find women who are like him. I don't like how he talks about women sometimes, calling them whores and hoes, while doing the same shit they do. I get he was young and dumb and he definitely seemed to mature up later in the book and not be such a dick. So reading this was educational in a way for me because I am nothing like him. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
In many ways this is the worst book I have ever read.

Have you ever wondered what goes on in the mind of a binge-drinking pick-up artist? Me neither.

The lifestyle (and personality) described in the book are wasteful more than anything else. The word debauchery implies more excitement and variety than the stories of Tucker Max provide. I expected to be disgusted, but I was surprised to be bored.

I didn't pay for it, and you shouldn't waste your time on it. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
I cannot star this book. I just can't. It would be like staring a book of the exploits of serial killer and his willing victims. It's just messed up. Do I think Tucker Max is a serial killer, NO. Not what I'm saying here. I'm simply trying to think of a way to compare a person who has little to no respect of human life meeting up with women who are either A. are attracted to the prospect of being one of his "famous" exploits on his blog B. think they can change him C. are just interested in sex D. hate themselves, or E. all of the above. I'm seriously jaded after this book. Well written though!
  breakingbooks | Aug 13, 2014 |
I felt so many emotions reading this book, I am almost unsure how to revew it.

To start, I thought after my last David Sedaris book (and a string of other books like it), that I would officially stop reading books I termed the "I'm an asshole" genre. I don't agree with giving someone a book deal just because they have writing abilities, and the ability to be a complete selfish jerk to everyone they come in contact with.

However, I knew that was what this book was...and I still wanted to read it. I needed, somehow, validation of "How absurd can he REALLY be?" Mind blowing is the answer.

I have an internal conflict with this book. I found Tucker Max to be the most terrible human being ever to walk the face of the earth. Literally, I have seen characters like him in books/tv/movies...but didn't know that kind of person really existed.

But (and we knew a but was coming..) I laughed my butt of reading this book. What does that say about me?

The thought that just kept popping into my head while reading this book is that Tucker Max represents EVERYTHING that is wrong with our country (maybe the world?). As a former teacher, I dealt with so many students who were disrespectful. And I remember thinking, How did they get this way? The answer: role models like Tucker Max (or perhaps Peter Griffin and Homer Simpson?). I do not doubt that Tucker has a pretty high intelligence. But rather than using that intellect to DO something, he makes a living by being an asshole to people. Well, if I were 16 and reading this book or seeing him get a movie deal and MTV shows...I might ask myself why I would bother to try in school--afterall, if I can get money to just be a dickhead to people?? Why not? It's easier than working.

What's worse, is the knowledge that, if there were a book about a person with the opposite qualities of Tucker Max: ie, a book about someone who just went around being nice to people and helping people....would I read it? Probably not. It'd be boring. So, while I can detest Max and the fact that he is only famous for being an ass...I must realize in myself that I contribute to the problem I say I detest.

That is the internal conflict.

One more note on the book itself: Although I laughed, and was shocked, I was bored by his actions halfway. The last half of the book was a DREAD to get though. Funny stuff still happened, but I just didn't care anymore. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I used to think that Red Bull was the most destructive invention of the past 50 years.

Tucker Max recounts some of the drunken, sexual, or otherwise debaucherous adventures he has had; and includes "The Famous Sushi Pants Story," "This'll Just Hurt a Little," "The Dog Vomit Story," and others.

My name is Tucker Max, and I am an asshole. I get excessively drunk at inappropriate times, disregard social norms, indulge every whim, ignore the consequences of my actions, mock idiots and posers, sleep with more women than is safe or reasonable, and just generally act like a raging dickhead. But, I do contribute to humanity in one very important way: I share my adventures with the world. —from the Introduction Actual reader feedback:

"I am completely baffled as to how you can congratulate yourself for being a womanizer and a raging drunk, or think anyone cares about an idiot like you. Do you really think that exploiting the insecurities of others while getting wasted is a legitimate thing to offer?"

"Thank you, thank you, thank you—for sharing with us your wonderful tales of drunken revelry, for teaching me what it means to be a man, for just existing so I know that there is another option; I too can say ‘screw the system’ and be myself and have fun. My life truly began when I finished reading your stories. Now, when faced with a quandary about what course of action I should take, I just ask myself, ‘What Would Tucker Do?’—and I do it, and I am a better man for it."

"I find it truly appalling that there are people in the world like you. You are a disgusting, vile, repulsive, repugnant, foul creature. Because of you, I don’t believe in God anymore. No just God would allow someone like you to exist."

"I’ll stay with God as my lord, but you are my savior. I just finished reading your brilliant stories, and I laughed so hard I almost vomited. I want to bring that kind of joy to people. You’re an artist of the highest order and a true humanitarian to boot. I'm in both shock and awe at how much I want to be you."

"You are the coolest person I can even imagine existing. If you slept with my girlfriend, it'd make me love her more."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:01 -0400)

Proud of being socially inappropriate and sexually irresponsible, the author shares his carefree experiences.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,402,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible