Senrid by Sherwood Smith

Senrid (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Sherwood Smith (Author)

Member:jeidai
Title:Senrid
Authors:Sherwood Smith (Author)
Info:YA Angst (2007), 448 pages
Tags:fantasy, young adult

Senrid by Sherwood Smith (2007)

0.1 (2) 2008 (2) 2013 (1) children (1) Civil War (1) crown & court (2) ebook (2) fantasy (24) fantasy fiction (1) fiction (10) high fantasy (3) Inda (1) magic (2) medievaloid (1) mooched (1) novel (2) own (2) prequel (2) princess (1) reviewed (1) sartorias-deles (6) series (4) sf (2) sff (2) to-read (5) unread (2) women authors (1) world building (1) YA (11) young adult (10)

High Fantasy
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Choppy and disjointed. The motivations and backstory of CJ and Faline's friends was not adequately explained and doesn't seem to fit well with the rest of the world. This takes place shortly before A Stranger to Command, but they don't need to be read in that order. It didn't fill in the blanks that I was most interested in. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Feb 7, 2009 |
Why wasn't I spared from such horrible clap trap... The material that Sherwood Smith wrote as an adult in the Inda world is decent. The items she wrote as a juvenile, is juvenile and a decent editor would have spared us all. It is a shame that Smith had to use her popularity to flog such a piece of drek. ( )
  DWWilkin | Nov 15, 2008 |
In a small kingdom, the young king and his stepsister are visited unexpectedly - first by a shapechanging girl who helps them defeat an invasion by the kingdom of Marloven Hess, and then by a boy who turns out to be Senrid, the king (in name only) of Marloven Hess. Senrid isn't particularly likable, uses black magic, and will do anything to get his throne back from his uncle the regent.
It has, unfortunately, taken me months to get through this, and I still couldn't tell you exactly what happened in the novel. I wanted to read it for the backstory on Senrid (who appears in one of the yet to be published works), but it's less about Senrid and more about the adventures of Kitty and a dozen other people. It's also overly long, clunky and there are way too many characters - every couple of chapters introduced some more who mostly didn't serve a purpose here except that they clearly feature in other novels. Also overuse of the word "kid" became annoying. Smith states that she wrote this when she was 15 (40 years ago) and that it is the middle of a longer story, and both of these things show. For die-hard fans only - anyone else start with Crown Duel and/or Inda.
  alasen_reads | Mar 24, 2008 |
I just finsihed reading Senrid. It was a gift from someone who knew the author when they both were much younger and the story was first written. While I had trouble getting started with it, it wasn't long before I found that I was looking forward to opportunities to return to reading. Within the first 75 -90 pages or so I started to care about what was going to happen to the characters, probably because it really is a story in which the object is for the hero to understand the strength of good, right decisions over bad, selfish goals.

I think what I found most difficult to deal with while
reading in the beginning was the kid's slang. I guess it made me feel
excluded - just like an adult hanging around with a bunch of kids, or
I suppose a kid, hanging around with a bunch of adults. If Smith was
trying for that, I would say, WOW! Good job!

I also wasn't that keen on the underwater portion, but all in all it
is a darn good story and it does work - I was sorry to see it end.
For me that's the sign of a good book. Oh yeah, and for an annoying
character, Kitty isn't half bad either! I love the idea of being surrounded by cats, even large cats... but maybe that's because here at home I am surrounded by cats (just the small kind)

All in all this book is both entertaining and thought provoking.
  RoseEllen | Jan 1, 2008 |
Well, none of us knew at the time that that king is Senrid.

Senrid is a story of swashbuckling boys and girls, royal stakes, mysterious villains, high adventure and strange magic, set in the universe of Crown Duel and Inda.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,127,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible