Rising Phoenix by Kyle Mills

Rising Phoenix (1997)

by Kyle Mills

I see that this is a 5 book series starring Mark Beamon as the main character. But this is not how he is presented in the novel. He's almost a minor character, and does not have much development... he's just there because there has to be a "good guy" to solve the crime, but the book isn't about him any more than it's about the main bad guy, and the war on drugs.

I can't even say that the point was to introduce us to Beamon's way of doing things because he didn't really do anything in the story - it was only solved because of snitches/anonymous tipsters who ratted out the bad guys.

That being said, the story itself was interesting (would this approach really work better than the current war on drugs?) and violent and fast-paced...

I'll probably read more books starring Beamon, though not so much for Beamon as for the interesting storyline. ( )
  crazybatcow | Nov 6, 2011 |
Another cool guy in an incredible thriller ( )
  kaylol | Dec 9, 2010 |
It is clear that the author has a lot of sympathy for his villains in this book. Probably the first 100 pages are devoted solely to the criminal and how his operation is being set up. It's a bit tedious and violent, and I really only skimmed through those pages. But after that the pace picks up a bit, and the process of actually tracking down the bad guy works out pretty well. The main FBI agent is a bit cardboardish but I did like the female lead, and the portrayals of the Colombian drug dealers were pretty much on the money. I also liked the complexity of the right-wing Christian leader who kicks off the whole thing. I might read another one if I see it around. ( )
  benfulton | Oct 4, 2009 |
Can we eliminate the drug problem in the US by poisoning the supply of illegal narcotics? That’s the central theme of Rising Phoenix a first novel by Kyle Mills. I recently re-read the book. And reminded myself of why I have bought several of his later books.

There is plenty of room for irony and strange bedfellows in Rising Phoenix. Drug use is down. Public support for poisoning is high enough to be politically challenging. So what’s a maverick FBI agent to do?

My complete review is on my blog, Nate's Library, specifically at: http://nates-library.blogspot.com/2008/08/kyle-mills-rising-phoenix.html ( )
  nbradle2 | Dec 18, 2008 |
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Niccolo Machiavellie
The Prince
To my Dad
The get-things-done guy
Mark Beamon jabbed at the air-conditioning button one last time as he eased the care to a stop next to a faded yellow curb.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061012491, Mass Market Paperback)

Special Agent Mark Beamon is a maverick. His open disdain for the FBI's rules--and Directors--has exiled him to a no-profile post in the boondocks.

But when a shadowy right-wing group starts flooding America's emergency rooms with dead and dying, Beamon is summoned back to Washington. Teamed with an icily efficient female field agent, he is given the thankless task of stopping the slaughter--even though millions of Americans secretly approve of it!

As the body count rises, Beamon realizes there is something eerily familiar about his adversary, reminding him of the coldest killer he ever encountered--not a criminal but a law enforcement colleague. And for the first time, he wonders why he was chosen for this assignment.

Was it his expertise--or his expendability?

"An explosive thriller that launches a new genius for taut, compulsive adventure writing...."
- Tom Clancy

"In the world of political thrillers, I have the feeling that young Kyle Mills will soon be a very big player."
- Frederick Forsythe

"A phenomenal concept....Fascinating....Good conspiracy theory, absolutely!"
- Rush Limbaugh

"Absorbing..A fine thriller with memorable characters and enough twists to keep readers turning pages....Mills is definitely someone to watch."
- Publishers Weekly

"Writing in the Tom Clancy tradition, Kyle Mills has produced a power-packed drama about the men and women who battle the bad guys to protect us all."
- William H. Webster, former director of the FBI and CIA

"[An] exceptionally accomplished debut thriller.A chillingly effective and suspenseful tale, complete with the moral ambiguities and guilty pleasures of such vigilante dreams as Death Wish."
- Kirkus Reviews

"Rising Phoenix is gripping, authentic, and as frightening as a gunshot in the night."
- W.E.B. Griffin

"A seductive action novel....Here's one slick page turner that makes readers think."
- San Francisco Chronicle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:01 -0400)

On learning that his son is hooked on drugs, a rich evangelist declares war on drug dealers. John Hobart hires an ex-DEA agent to poison their supplies. As thousands die and society applauds, both the FBI and the drug dealers go after Hobart.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,667,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible