The Pearl by John Steinbeck

The Pearl (original 1947; edition 1947)

by John Steinbeck

7,948113411 (3.48)1 / 305
Member:Luutgaert
Title:The Pearl
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:Penguin Books (2000), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 96 pages

The Pearl by John Steinbeck (1947)

Recently added byTSDHSLiteracyroom, SpetzStudio, AdemilsonM, anaquelabierto, DrT, private library
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg

English (101)  French (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (113)
"Review soon." ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
To be honest, I never did enjoy this book when I first read it. It was English class at highschool, we'd read Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" earlier in the year and now did the Pearl, and the two books remain tied with "Friedrich" for most depressing novels we read in school. But I digress: The book itself is well-written, short, but gets its point across very well. Native islander Kino finds a marvelous pearl in the sea while diving one day, and misfortune and death follows his taking of it as his world becomes upended entirely by man's greed- both that of others and his own. It is a classic, but one that is simply so incredibly dreary and brutal that I simply cannot find it in myself to enjoy this book. The scene wherein he hits his wife is one I still have trouble reading, but I suppose that may be the point of it. All in all, a classic- but one I did not enjoy. ( )
  LisDavid15 | Jul 30, 2015 |
high school or junior high required reading. It was good ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
The Pearl is the first book I've read by John Steinbeck, better known for Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath.

I thought I'd start with something easy, and a parable of just under 100 pages seemed like a good place to start. I should also admit to being influenced by this stunning clothbound classic; I'm in love with these lately.

Kino is a hardworking pearl diver living a simple life, until he finds the pearl of a lifetime. Happy and content with his life before the pearl, he suddenly desires more than he has and is surrounded by greed and envy.

Kino's experience from the moment he discovers the pearl to the bitter end, is an example of how greed and evil can cloud your decisions, and the consequences when we fall victim to these desires.

I read that Steinbeck was inspired to write The Pearl based on a Mexican folktale, and it doesn't surprise me.

Readers who enjoyed The Alchemist will love the simple life lessons contained in The Pearl. I also think this parable is suitable for younger readers, from middle school right through to high school age. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Jun 24, 2015 |
I was supposed to read this book in 6th grade, but it was so boring to 11-year-old me that I gave up after only a few pages. At 29, I'm wondering why! It's actually a pretty fascinating read. It's also a rather short book at only about 80 pages.
The story is about a poor family man who finds a valuable pearl to help pay for his baby's medical treatment (by a despicable doctor who refers to his people as "animals") only to be corrupted by his potential wealth. He ends up hitting and kicking his wife, and even killing a man for it.
The book has a truly tragic ending. ( )
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |

Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orozco, Jose ClementeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veltman-Boissevain, E.D.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wagner-Martin, LindaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kino woke up early in the morning.
It is said that human beings are never satisfied, that you give them one thing and they want something more. And this is said in disparagement, whereas it is one of the greatest talents the species has and one that has made it superior to animals that are satisfied with what they have.
Please do not combine abridged version into the main work.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000698, Paperback)

Make this your next book club selection and everyone saves.
Get 15% off when you order 5 or more of this title for your book club.
Simply enter the coupon code STEINBECKPEARL at checkout.
This offer does not apply to eBook purchases. This offer applies to only one downloadable audio per purchase.

In this short book illuminated by a deep understanding and love of humanity, John Steinbeck retells an old Mexican folk tale: the story of the great pearl, how it was found, and how it was lost. For the diver Kino, finding a magnificent pearl means the promise of a better life for his impoverished family. His dream blinds him to the greed and suspicions the pearl arouses in him and his neighbors, and even his loving wife cannot temper his obsession or stem the events leading to the tragedy.

For Steinbeck, Kino and his wife illustrate the fall from innocence of people who believe that wealth erases all problems. Originally published in 1947, The Pearl shows why Steinbeck’s style has made him one of the most beloved American writers: it is a simple story of simple people, recounted with the warmth and sincerity and unrivaled craftsmanship Steinbeck brings to his writing. It is tragedy in the great tradition, beautifully conveying not despair but hope for mankind.

The Great Books Foundation Discussion Guide for The Pearl is available at www.greatbooks.org.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:46 -0400)

For the diver Kino, finding a magnificent pearl means the promise of better life for his impoverished family. His dream blinds him to the greed and suspicions the pearl arouses in him and his neighbors, and even his loving wife cannot temper his obsession or stem the events leading to tragedy. Kino and his wife illustrate the fall from innocence of people who believe that wealth erases all problems.… (more)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185120, 0141332913, 0143566415, 0241952468

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,146,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible