Pandora's Daughter by Iris Johansen

Pandora's Daughter (edition 2008)

by Iris Johansen

Member:scarlett_elise
Title:Pandora's Daughter
Authors:Iris Johansen
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:Strip

Pandora's Daughter by Iris Johansen

This book was not good. It wasn't awful, but it certainly makes me wish I had found something better to read. The plot felt incredibly contrived, and I really found the entire psychic aspect offputting. It also came across as really rushed, so while everything moved along at a brisk pace, you never had a chance to care about anyone involved. I tried to care; I did. The characters were not unlikable, but mostly I just wanted the entire situtation resolved so that I could move on to a better book. The best part was literally the last word in the entire novel. How sad is that?

I do not think either the psychic phenomena or the characters were the problem, though. It was the writing. It was bland and unimaginative and boring. And the romance had exactly zero spark. I admit I was disappointed. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
This was my first Iris Johansen...I haven't decided yet whether or not I'll read more. The story/plot was interesting overall, conceptually, and I was engaged with the characters, but the writing itself threw me off at too many points. Too many pieces of dialogue were either awkward or unbelievable, and too many happenings in the plot were just too contrived to be believable or make sense. That said, it wasn't Badly written--it just wasn't all that well-written either. It did keep me engaged and have a good flow to it, though, so perhaps. In all, rather an enh experience for this reader--not something I regret spending time on, but nothing to recommend or ensure that I come back for more either. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Mar 25, 2013 |
Great take on psychic powers. A Family, going back centuries, who displayed powers of the mind. Seen as a threat, curse or great ability. Riveting suspenseful, keeping you wanting to see what happens next. True to all her books, a strong female character with a villainess' foe. Excellent read. ( )
  DocWalt10 | Feb 2, 2013 |
Megan Blair has tried to block the voices in her head all her life. She works as an emergency room daughter, and loves her job. Now she finds that her life is about to change and she's going to have to face up to her heritage and abilities. Her life is never going to be the same again.

It's interesting, sometimes it felt a little bit like the author was trying out a concept without really being sure where things were going to go. It's a series I'd love to continue. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 18, 2012 |
Awful, awful book. I expected much more from this book seeing how Ms. Johansen is quite a prolific writer. She used the word "dammit' so many times, I was getting quite annoyed by mid-book whenever I saw the word. Tired story. ( )
  Cobra1 | Apr 5, 2012 |

Orphaned at 15 and raised by her Uncle Phillip, the adult Megan Blair is an Atlanta pediatrician who hears terrified voices. Revelation comes when childhood friend Neal Grady, who is now a shadowy government agent, arrives to apprise Megan of her psychic powers. And to warn her: Molino-the relentless villain who killed Megan's mother, believing her touch killed his son-is targeting Megan next. Molino thinks Megan was born to an ancient Sephardic family of psychics, and plans to force her to reveal the location of the Ledger, a book that contains the family's secrets and finances. He then plans to kill her, if Megan, Neal and Neal's sidekick, Jed Hartley, don't find him first. Johansen increases the tension by alternating point of view, but two-dimensional characters, repetitious explanations and stilted dialogue make staying tuned difficult.

The number-one blockbuster bestselling author delivers her most explosive and compelling novel yet, in which a woman must unlock the secrets of her own mind before she loses her life.

She has a gift of unspeakable power. . . .

He must control her or destroy her. . . .

For as long as she can remember, successful young physician Megan Blair has tried to silence the voices in her head---voices that bring her to the edge of madness and terror. Megan possesses psychic powers that have been dormant for years, hidden deep in the past she’s tried so desperately to forget. But now everything has come to a boiling point---someone is trying to kill her, and others are trying to use her, including the deadly and seductive Neal Grady. Shocking secrets about her life and her mother’s death bombard her as she fights to take control of her heritage and save herself and everything she believes in. Grady holds the key to understanding her future, a future in which Megan’s life will never be the same.

If she survives to have a future.

A fast-paced thrill ride, Pandora’s Daughter is Iris Johansen as you’ve never read her before.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:37 -0400)

Building a successful practice on her ability to empathize with her patients, physician Megan Blair is haunted by the mysterious loss in childhood of her mother, from whom she inherited psychic powers that others would exploit for murderous purposes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,354,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible