Azumanga Daioh Omnibus by Kiyohiko Azuma

Azumanga Daioh Omnibus

by Kiyohiko Azuma

Series: Azumanga Daioh (Omnibus)

Recently added byprivate library, ku., joyce_zhang16, Sammugomm, KJKingJ, dr_vblschrf, kuuderes_shadow, Shimo

Should be 3 and a half stars. Totally hilarious, and the characterization is great. I was sad to see them graduate at the end, knowing they wouldn't crack me up anymore. Highly recommended. ( )
  chyde | Feb 5, 2014 |
Azumanga Daioh is a delight. A "slice-of-life" story, showing a group of Japanese girls in their four years at high school. Unlike other manga, this is told in four panel comic strips, more like newspaper strips than a graphic novel. It is a really charming, lighthearted and funny read. I was giggling and laughing out loud throughout the entire collection at the antics of these girls and their eccentric teachers.

Chiyo is only ten years old, but has been skipped ahead to high school because she is so smart. I wasn't that fond of Chiyo since that is just not a character type that I enjoy. HOWEVER I loved Sakaki! Sakaki is a tall and quiet girl who seems cool and aloof, but she is really a shy softie who loves animals and just wants to pet the neighborhood cats (who ALWAYS run from her and bite her!)

Tomo is the loud, annoying one, Yomi is the brainy one with glasses and "Osaka" - nicknamed for her Osaka accent - is just weird. Osaka's bizarre non-sequiters are hilarious. And there is one strip where the girls are on vacation with their teachers as chaperones, a still half-asleep Osaka goes to wake up her teacher by banging a pan . . . but in her still half-asleep state she ends up grabbing a knife! The teacher, already awake, is greeted to the site of Osaka brandishing the knife with the words "maybe next time."

The girls have a homeroom teacher named Yukari who is friends with the gym teacher, but also has a funny rivalry with her. Yukari made me laugh a hell of a lot. She is sort of an airhead, and the crazy sort of teacher that gets in trouble with the senior staff for chatting with her students about which boys they hate! She has a weird attitude about school work and frequently takes out her personal drama on her class, and I couldn't help but totally love her!

(At the start of Year 2): "I will be your homeroom teacher, Yukari Tanizaki. You'll notice that the class is almost entirely the same as last year. But let me assure you that it's not because I'm too lazy to learn a bunch of new names and faces." ( )
  catfantastic | Aug 3, 2013 |
Last summer my husband started watching the Azumanga Daioh anime about a group of girls going through high school. The anime was an instant hit with both children. In fact it was our daughter who spotted the Azumanga Daioh Omnibus by Kiyohiko Azuma and insisted that Ian buy it.

This manga is a panel comic, more similar to the traditional North American comic strips. As it has a plot that changes over time, it's most like For Better or Worse. The Omnibus covers all four books, one book for each year of high school.

The youngest girl, the extremely gifted Chiyo-Chan, is elementary school aged but has been bumped to high school. She is by far our favorite character in the series. Along with the developing friendships, there is an on going rivalry between the English teacher and PE coach. There is tall Sakaki who wants nothing more than to befriend a neighborhood cat. Then there is a transfer student who is almost immediately nicknamed for her place of origin, Osaka. To show her distinct accent, she's given sort of a southern drawl in the translation (both the omnibus and anime).

Although the book is huge it's a quick read. The four panel format plays for gags and sometimes physical humor. It took me two days to read the book but I probably could have done it in one setting. ( )
1 vote pussreboots | Jul 30, 2013 |
One of the best examples of a completely character driven series ever. It takes a few strips to start to sink it, but if you give it a chance, it really grows on you. The characters are all well drawn (in all senses of the word) and the situations are funny, tender, and insightful. I've read this many times, and always enjoyed it. Highly recommended, though not the best first manga for the unititiated. ( )
  groovykinda | Jan 17, 2012 |
I'm not entirely sure that I understand the appeal of this series. I suppose I can see why it's popular - the caricatures that comprise the main cast has something for everyone and in addition to several lovable, cute girls, it's often funny, too. But just knowing why the elements that help its popularity doesn't let me understand the appeal for myself.

I was utterly bored when I saw an episode of the anime adaptation, and when I saw a few of the 4-koma in isolation, I had no desire to read more, so I never went out of my way to read the full Azumanga Daioh series until now, when I had the chance to read the omnibus version without exerting any effort to obtain it. I probably would not have even opened the cover, except that I have enjoyed Yotsuba&! so much and grew hopeful that maybe Azumanga Daioh was equally good.

It isn't.

It's not a bad series, but it is uneven, and it swiftly devolved into a Pink Shoujo Ghetto (thanks for the phrase, TV Tropes). Some of the characters, such as loud-mouthed Tomo and idiot teacher Yukari, wore very thin within the first few chapters, while others I had trouble telling apart - in retrospect, I think that I probably thought many of the appearances of Kaori, Tomo, and the athletic girl (Kugara? Mugara?) were from the same person, unless they were in the panel together.

I'm glad that the series had the constraint of being told only within the three years that the girls are in high school, because two chapters of about 20 strips for each month was more than enough. Of the three characters that I liked the most (Chiyo-chan, Sakaki, and Osaka), two of them were more-or-less combined into Yotsuba, who is a much more interesting and developed character. I think that the traits of Osaka that got transferred also work better in the form of a 5-year-old than in a 17-year-old.

I don't feel that I wasted my time reading Azumangah Daioh. It was entertaining, after all. But I don't have any desire to buy a copy for myself or to one day reread it, the way I do with my Yotsuba&! books. It's probably also good that I at least read it so that I'm more familiar with one of the more popular series.

If you're looking to read it, the Yen Press omnibus is probably the best option, though it's a bit unwieldy. Luckily, because of the 4koma format (4-panel strips), it's not as troublesome as with a series whose format takes the pictures and text right to the edges of the pages. On the other hand, the translation is a bit annoying in that it uses a version of American Southern dialect for Osaka, which means we get "Ah" instead of "I" every time. I don't know if other translations do that, but it's also strange to me because part of what makes Osaka a comedic character is that she's slow and a little bit dumb, but her accent has connotations more like a Bronx or Boston accent, from what I understand. ( )
2 vote keristars | Jul 24, 2010 |
For fans of the television series who haven't sampled the manga version, this omnibus version is a budget-friendly chance to do so. For those unfamiliar with the series in any form, it's a hilarious taste of the fun side of high-school life. And for those who already have the manga, this is exactly what you already own, so don't bother forking over for it again.

Kiyohiko Azumaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paul, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Join the brainy Chiyo-chan, spaced-out Osaka, over-the-top Tomo, soft-spoken Sakaki, hair-trigger Yomi and brash Kagura as they fumble their way toward graduation and the future.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible