The History Boys: A Play by Alan Bennett

The History Boys: A Play (2004)

by Alan Bennett

5542018,027 (4.25)52
    Lessons of the Masters (The Charles Eliot Norton Lectures) by George Steiner (librorumamans)
    librorumamans: Lecture One in Steiner's book is particularly useful to read alongside Bennett's play; a connection that Bennett himself acknowledges in his introduction.

English (19)  Italian (1)  All languages (20)
  kutheatre | Jun 4, 2015 |
"The best moments in reading are when you come across something — a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things — that you'd thought special, particular to you. And here it is, set down by someone else, a person you've never met, maybe even someone long dead. And it's as if a hand has come out and taken yours." - Hector.

When Posner reaches out to grasp Hector's hand... That's everything. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I read the book after re-watching the film version, and must say that I found the screenplay to be much tighter in terms of narrative flow and continuity. The themes seemed to be more clearly delineated -- Hector is the center of the film version in a way that he appears more muted in the play. Posner in the film is more fully realized, too, and the relationship between Dakin and Irwin is easier to see than to read although I'm not sure how much I liked the actor's work who played Irwin. A thought-provoking read but an even better viewing opportunity for those who choose to see the film. ( )
  marmel.cest.moi | Sep 11, 2014 |
I loved this play when I saw it in NYC so on my way out of the theater, I fished some change out of my pocket and bought it right there. Not my most money-wise moment but I was hungry for some good reading.

Reading the play was even better since I was able to catch things I'd missed when I first saw it on stage. It isn't exactly the most economical play with somewhere around 11 characters on stage, but I think the British have more money for theater. Lucky cats, they are.

This is an excellent play, with every word being weighed and measured. ( )
  Caitdub | Oct 24, 2013 |
The perfect encapsulation of the joy, the value and the importance of education for all. ( )
  Ceilidhann | Sep 20, 2013 |

Alan Bennettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Griffiths, RichardReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hytner, NicholasIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merrison, CliveReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Irwin is in a wheelchair, in his forties, addressing three or four unidentified MPs.

"A play of depth as well as dazzle, intensely moving as well as thought-provoking and funny." --The Daily Telegraph

An unruly bunch of bright, funny sixth-form (or senior) boys in a British boys' school are, as such boys will be, in pursuit of sex, sport, and a place at a good university, generally in that order. In all their efforts, they are helped and hindered, enlightened and bemused, by a maverick English teacher who seeks to broaden their horizons in sometimes undefined ways, and a young history teacher who questions the methods, as well as the aim, of their schooling. In The History Boys, Alan Bennett evokes the special period and place that the sixth form represents in an English boy's life. In doing so, he raises--with gentle wit and pitch-perfect command of character--not only universal questions about the nature of history and how it is taught but also questions about the purpose of education today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Publisher description: An unruly bunch of bright, funny sixth-form (or senior) boys in a British boys' school are, as such boys will be, in pursuit of sex, sport, and a place at a good university, generally in that order. In all their efforts, they are helped and hindered, enlightened and bemused, by a maverick English teacher who seeks to broaden their horizons in sometimes undefined ways, and a young history teacher who questions the methods, as well as the aim, of their schooling. In The History Boys, Alan Bennett evokes the special period and place that the sixth form represents in an English boy's life. In doing so, he raises not only universal questions about the nature of history and how it is taught but also questions about the purpose of education today.… (more)

36 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,096,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible