All I Really Need To Know I Learned In…

All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten - Uncommon Thoughts On… (edition 1990)

by Robert Fulghum

Member:Crommie9
Title:All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten - Uncommon Thoughts On Common Things
Authors:Robert Fulghum
Info:Grafton Books (1990), Edition: 3rd Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:**1/2

All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten: Uncommon Thoughts on Common Things by Robert Fulghum

The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha (amarie)
    amarie: There is a similar love of the best things/people/places/experiences in life that may be overlooked sometimes.

English (29)  Czech (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (33)
5 stars for the absolutely brilliant title essay, which I’ve always loved. Unfortunately it only covers pages 3 to 6. The rest of the short essays, fifty in total, are uneven; certainly Fulghum’s heart is always in the right place, but his observations sometimes get a little simple, and not in a good way.

Just this ‘quote’, the title essay; words to live by:

“Here’s my credo:
ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate-school mountain, but there in the sandpile at Sunday School. These are the things I learned:

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.

Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation. Ecology and politics and equality and sane living.

Take any of those items and extrapolate it into sophisticated adult terms and apply it to your family life or your work or your government or your world and it holds true and clear and firm. Think what a better world it would be if all - the whole world - had cookies and milk about three o'clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankies for a nap. Or if all governments had a basic policy to always put thing back where they found them and to clean up their own mess.

And it is still true, no matter how old you are - when you go out into the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.” ( )
1 vote gbill | Jun 13, 2014 |
I thought it was rather humourous ( )
  nlm2nd | Dec 11, 2013 |
This is another book I picked up in the "for free" basket at the library bookstore. All you really need to read of this book is on pages 4 and 5. That is where the list of what the author learned in kindergarten is placed. The rest of the book is filled with little anecdotes from the author's life that carry some supposedly interesting message that may or may not be related to the things he learned in kindergarten. The subtitle of this book is: Uncommon Thoughts on Common Things, so I suppose the rest of the book (after pages 4-5) are those uncommon thoughts. The author is not a horrible writer, his stories remind me of the short, half-humorous, half-philosophic anecdotes that are strewn between articles and stories in Reader's Digest. As a book, however, I found myself getting really irritated with his style and frankly, quite bored. I began reading only the first sentence of each paragraph, and then just the first sentence of each section. The more I read, the duller the anecdotes and his style of writing became. Back in the donate pile it goes. ( )
  Marse | Oct 8, 2013 |
Highly recommended ( )
  ToniRy | Jul 26, 2013 |
This book offers so much wisdom. Seeing life through Mr. Fulghum's eyes has the potential to turn your own life upside down. This is definitely one to make you stop and think. ( )
  BreeJamie | Jun 18, 2013 |
Each spring, for many years, I have set myself the task of writing a personal statement of belief: a Credo.

Most of what I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate-school mountain, but there in the sandpile at Sunday School.
These are the things I learned:

• Share Everything

• Play Fair

• Don't hit people

• Put things back where you found them.

• Clean up your own mess

• Don't take things that aren't yours

• Say your sorry when you hurt somebody

• Wash your hands before you eat

• Flush

• Warm cookies and Cold milk are good for you

• Live a balanced life

• Take a nap every afternoon

• When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, stick together

• BE aware of Wonder

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080410526X, Mass Market Paperback)

A modern classic, and a phenomenal bestseller, this simple collection of thoughts and gentle opinion has struck a deep chord in readers all over the world. Observing our times in his unique way, Robert Fulghum has tapped into the community that we all share and tells us something about ourselves and how to be the best we are capable of. He reminds us to share, clean up our own mess, take a nap every afternoon, and to be aware of wonder.
"Within simplicity lies the sublime."
SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
"A healthy antidote to the horrors that pummel us in this dicey age."
THE BALTIMORE SUN

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:28 -0400)

The Unitarian minister reflects on America and its diverse peoples, everyday wisdoms, kindnesses, and joys, and everyday life's large meanings

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,769,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible