All I Really Need To Know I Learned In…

All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten - Uncommon Thoughts On… (edition 1990)

by Robert Fulghum

Member:Crommie9
Title:All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten - Uncommon Thoughts On Common Things
Authors:Robert Fulghum
Info:Grafton Books (1990), Edition: 3rd Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:**1/2

All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten: Uncommon Thoughts on Common Things by Robert Fulghum

The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha (amarie)
    amarie: There is a similar love of the best things/people/places/experiences in life that may be overlooked sometimes.

English (32)  Czech (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All (36)
I read this a long time ago. The fact that I once lived in Seattle added to my enjoyment. Stories are interesting and provide a message. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
grandma's copy
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
About the author: one fact many people don't know about Robert Fulghum is that he was a UU minister beginning his career in Bellingham, Washington in 1960. He is currently a minister emeritus at the Unitarian Universalist Church in Edmonds, Washington. Source: Wikipedia. Quoting from the inside of the book's back cover, "When asked what he does, [the author] replies that he is a philosopher, and then explains that what he likes to do is to think a lot about ordinary things and then express what he thinks by writing or speaking or painting, whichever seems appropriate." About the book: quoting from the book's back cover, "Most of what I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate school mountain, but there in the sandpile at Sunday school. These are the things I learned: Share everything. Play fair. Don't hit people. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your own mess. . ."
  uufnn | Nov 15, 2016 |
I get a kick outta reading "uncommon thoughts on common things" from different people's perspectives. Fulghum's thoughts were about silly things AND deep stuff, and usually with a great deal of humor. His goal in writing this book didn't seem to be profound wisdom or anything so self-helpy: I appreciated that. His voice was very down to earth and conversational. While I enjoyed most of the essays, the collection was just okay for me. Yet I did find a few bits I want to remember and, someday, possibly throw my own uncommon thoughts on the same or related topics into the mix.

3.5 stars

"It's the spirit here that counts. The time may be long, the vehicle may be strange or unexpected. But if the dream is held close to the heart, and imagination is applied to what there is close at hand, everything is still possible (139)."

"Innate skepticism or innate stupidity? I confess I do not know. A psychiatrist friend tells me it's a sample of an unconscious need to deny--that everyone wants the road or The Way to continue on instead of ending. So you drive as far as you can, even when you can clearly read the sign. You want to think you are exempt, that it doesn't apply to you. But it does (161-62)."

"Murphy's Law does not always hold, says Grandfather Sam. Every once in a while the fundamental laws of the universe seem to be momentarily suspended, and not only does everything go right, nothing seems to be able to keep it from going right. It's not always something as dramatic as the long bomb or the slam-dunk that wins ball games (178)." He goes on to list examples like dropping a glass in the sink, it bounces a gazillion times, and not only does not break but doesn't even chip. A near-miss at an intersection. Jumping in the right lane (the one that's moving) in a traffic jam. ( )
  flying_monkeys | Apr 9, 2015 |
I thought it was rather humourous ( )
  nlm2nd | Mar 4, 2015 |
Each spring, for many years, I have set myself the task of writing a personal statement of belief: a Credo.

Most of what I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate-school mountain, but there in the sandpile at Sunday School.
These are the things I learned:

• Share Everything

• Play Fair

• Don't hit people

• Put things back where you found them.

• Clean up your own mess

• Don't take things that aren't yours

• Say your sorry when you hurt somebody

• Wash your hands before you eat

• Flush

• Warm cookies and Cold milk are good for you

• Live a balanced life

• Take a nap every afternoon

• When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, stick together

• BE aware of Wonder

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080410526X, Mass Market Paperback)

A modern classic, and a phenomenal bestseller, this simple collection of thoughts and gentle opinion has struck a deep chord in readers all over the world. Observing our times in his unique way, Robert Fulghum has tapped into the community that we all share and tells us something about ourselves and how to be the best we are capable of. He reminds us to share, clean up our own mess, take a nap every afternoon, and to be aware of wonder.
"Within simplicity lies the sublime."
SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
"A healthy antidote to the horrors that pummel us in this dicey age."
THE BALTIMORE SUN

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

The Unitarian minister reflects on America and its diverse peoples, everyday wisdoms, kindnesses, and joys, and everyday life's large meanings

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,674,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible