Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan

Last Night at the Lobster (2007)

by Stewart O'Nan

This book is certainly not for everyone, but it certainly spoke to me. By the end of the book I felt like I had lived through it myself -- that I had worked the last day of a Red Lobster restaurnt during a snowstorm. This was my first but not last experience with this author. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
At first I was put off by all the detail O'Nan puts in, but that's really the point - his protagonist is a man lost in and comforted by detail, routine, checklists. And the details also make the snowstorm that ends the last night at a closing Red Lobster restaurant so real, I almost told my partner not to slip in the slush. So it became at the end a vivid, bittersweet story of real life, with all its small decisions and disappointments., ( )
  ffortsa | May 30, 2017 |

This is really more of a novella at 149 pages, and can easily be read in one sitting, which I would recommend. I loved this little gem of a novel that examines the lives of the manager and employees of a Red Lobster on the last night before it closes. No one characterizes people living quiet ordinary "invisible" lives better than O'Nan. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Here the feelings and memory of Manny are told. He is the manager of the Lobster. It is the last day the restaurant is open. Some employees have a new job others are looking. Manny has hired his employees for various reasons. The harmony among themselves is not always the best and animosities escalate on this last day.
I liked the story. It is subtly written and easy to read. ( )
  Ameise1 | Feb 11, 2017 |
This is a little slice of life novel that takes a look at the workers and customers on the last shift of a Red Lobster restaurant. It is a look at simple working class people doing what they have to do. The restaurant is closing and only some workers show up for the last day's shift, and those who do are there pretty much for Manny, their manager. All sorts of interpersonal relationships at play, but mostly this is about Manny sorting through his life at that moment. If you have ever worked at a place like this sometime in life you will immediately recognize the atmosphere everyone is in. The author clearly has captured a bit of reality in this fiction. Good stuff. ( )
  RBeffa | Feb 1, 2017 |
All the vatos and their abuelitas All the vatos carrying a lunch pail All the vatos looking at her photo All the vatos sure that no one sees them All the vatos never in a poem - Luis Alberto Urrea
For my brother John and everyone who works the shifts nobody wants
Mall traffic on a gray winter's day, stalled. Midmorning and the streetlights are still on, weakly. Scattered flakes drift down like ash, but for now the roads are dry.

The Red Lobster perched in the far corner of a run-down New England mall hasn?t been making its numbers and headquarters has pulled the plug. But manager Manny DeLeon still needs to navigate a tricky last shift with a near-mutinous staff. All the while, he?s wondering how to handle the waitress he?s still in love with, what to do about his pregnant girlfriend, and where to find the present that will make everything better.

Stewart O?Nan has been called ?the bard of the working class,? and Last Night at the Lobster is one of his most acclaimed works to date.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:15 -0400)

Managing a failed seafood restaurant in a run-down New England mall just before Christmas, Manny DeLeon coordinates a challenging final shift of mutinous staff members, an effort that is complicated by his love for a waitress, a pregnant girlfriend, and an elusive holiday gift.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,088,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible