Rode schoenen by J. Harris

Member:Juud
Title:Rode schoenen
Authors:J. Harris
Info:de Kern (Paperback)

The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris (2008)

English (90)  Dutch (4)  All languages (94)
I read this straight after Chocolat, but it still took several chapters to work out who was who and what was going on. The feel is quite different. It is a sequel, but I think it could be read as a standalone, and maybe better not read immediately after the first. An intriguing and mysterious tale. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Jun 18, 2018 |
This is a tale of magic and chocolate again and is a sequel to her novel Chocolat. This novel is set in Montmartre in Paris and Joanne Harris conjures up the atmosphere of this Parisian village and the small community who live around one square here very well, if maybe romantically. This time the wicked witch is called Zozie and she wears red high heel shoes and bright clothes but she is a collector of identities and an insidious friend who uses her powers for evil. The novel is great fun to read and nicely wrapped up with a ribbon at the end. ( )
  Tifi | Oct 20, 2017 |
"Children are knives....they don't mean to but they cut. And yet we cling to them, don't we, we clasp them until the blood flows"

I have read most of Joanne Harris books and enjoyed each in varying degrees. I loved this book. The format of giving the primary characters a totem and separate chapters to express their understanding of events added to the emotional roller coaster of the twists and turns of the story. And what a story it is. I found myself listening carefully to the nuances of each message that was being imparted and became caught up in what was to unfold. Magic? Well, perhaps we shouldn't dismiss what we can't explain or understand through simple logic. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
It was a surprise - this second Opus in the 'Chocolat' trilogy is actually better than the first novel. The writing style is different, as we switch narrative voices from one chapter to the next, from Vianne to Zozie or Anouk. The supernatural elements are kept in check to the level of the 'uncanny' and glances. The plot is about the clash between two witches for the control of one child, and one of them is willing to go to great lengths to win. There is a lot of inner thoughts and psychology involved, as well as manipulation. In the end, this is a very entertaining book, unlike the first one of the series, but adds more dynamic to the inital plot. Well worth reading, even if you did not like 'Chocolat'! ( )
  soniaandree | May 2, 2017 |
A dark little fairy tale sequel to Chocolat- lots more of the sinister side of things. You really ought to read up on your MesoAmerican mythology; don't worry, the author has helpfully provided a quick little primer/guide of links here: http://www.joanne-harris.co.uk/v3site/books/lollipop/index.html to assist. (Follow this one up with Mercedes Lackey's Burning Water for another view of MesoAmerican mythology: http://www.mercedeslackey.com/books/diana1.html) ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
Harris writes with verve and charm.
added by lquilter | editThe New Yorker

A sensual writer with a keen historical perspective.
added by lquilter | editChicago Sun Times

"A mouthwatering experience"
added by lquilter | editSunday London Times

Joanne Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Het verrukkelijke vervolg op Chocolat
To A.F.H.
Skiriu A.F.H,
It is a relatively little-known fact that, over the course of a single year, about twenty million letters are delivered to the dead.
Mažai kam žinoma, kad per metus apie dvidešimt milijonų laiškų pristatoma mirusiesiams.
„Nes vėjas reiškia permainas, o be permainų pasaulis žūtų.“;
„ nes jei pragare nėra piktesnės raganos nei paniekinta moteris, tai žemėje nėra baisesnio žmogaus už apgautą raganą.“;
„Kaina už širdies troškimus yra tavo širdis. Gyvenimas už gyvenimą. Pasaulyje egzistuoja pusiausvyra. Per daug įtempsi virvę, ir ši galų gale tėkštelės tau į veidą.“;
„ apie tai, kaip stengiausi tapti sava bet kuria kaina, net jei tektų prarasti šešėlį; net jei savo sielą.“
It's my fault. I know that now. To bring her up in my mother's beliefs seemed so natural at the time. It gave us a plan; a tradition of our own; a magic circle into which the world could not enter. But where the world cannot enter, we cannot leave. Trapped inside a cocoon of our own making, we live apart, eternal strangers from the rest.
The Lollipop Shoes was also published as The Girl With No Shadow.

Since she was a little girl, the wind has dictated every move Vianne Rocher has made, buffeting her from the small French village of Lansquenet-sous-Tannes to the crowded streets of Paris. Cloaked in a new identity, that of widow Yanne Charbonneau, she opens a chocolaterie on a small Montmartre street, determined to still the wind at last and keep her daughters, Anouk and baby Rosette, safe.

Her new home above the chocolate shop offers calm and quiet; no red sachets by the door; no sparks of magic fill the air. Conformity brings with it anonymity—and peace. There is even Thierry, the stolid businessman who wants to care for Yanne and the children. On the cusp of adolescence, an increasingly rebellious Anouk does not understand. But soon the weathervane turns . . . and into their lives blows the charming, enigmatic—and devious—Zozie de l'Alba. And everything begins to change.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:33 -0400)

"Since she was a little girl, the wind has dictated every move Vianne Rocher has made, buffeting her from place to place, from the small French village of Lansquenet-sous-Tannes to the crowded streets of Paris. Cloaked in a new identity, that of widow Yanne Charbonneau, she opens a chocolaterie on a small Montmartre street, determined to still the wind at last and keep her daughters, Anouk and the baby, Rosette, safe." "Her new home above the chocolate shop offers calm and quiet: no red sachets hang by the door; no sparks of magic fill the air; no Indian skirts with bells hang in her closet. Conformity brings with it anonymity - and peace. There is even Thierry, the stolid businessman who wants to take care of Yanne and the children. On the cusp of adolescence, an increasingly rebellious and restless Anouk does not understand. But soon the weathervane turns ... and into their lives blows the charming and enigmatic Zozie de l'Alba. And everything begins to change.""Zozie offers the brightness Yanne's life needs. Anouk, too, is dazzled by this vivacious woman with the lollipop-red shoes who seems to understand her better than anyone - especially her mother. Yet this friendship is not what it seems. Ruthless, devious, and seductive, Zozie has plans that will shake their world to pieces. And with everything she loves at stake, Yanne must face a difficult choice: Run, as she has done so many times before, or stand and confront this most dangerous enemy."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joanne Harris's book The Girl with No Shadow was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,291,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible