Basic writings by Zhuangzi

Basic writings (edition 1996)

by Zhuangzi

Member:an_eternalstudent
Title:Basic writings
Authors:Zhuangzi
Info:New York: Columbia University Press, c1996. ix, 159 p. ; 20 cm.
Rating:***
Tags:taoism, eastern spirituality

Chuang Tzu: Basic Writings by Zhuangzi (Author)

I don't even know what to say about this. For one thing, read it! This the most entertaining philosophical writing I've ever read, but then I like strange things. You had best be prepared for some very strange things if you read this. Even if you don't agree with his philosophy, his presentation is, um, unique. Though I certainly think the philosophy is interesting as well.

I can't say much about the translation, having only read the Watson translation, and not knowing very much about ancient Chinese. I can say I didn't feel like the translation really got in the way. ( )
  benmartin79 | May 2, 2009 |
Most scholarly translation I have, but only selections from the traditional text. There is a complete Watson translation I do not have. ( )
  antiquary | Nov 8, 2007 |

ZhuangziAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burton WatsonTranslatormain authorall editionsconfirmed

The basic writings of Chuang Tzu have been savored by Chinese readers for over two thousand years. And Burton Watson's lucid and beautiful translation has been loved by generations of readers.

Chuang Tzu (369?-286? B.C.) was a leading philosopher representing the Taoist strain in Chinese thought. Using parable and anecdote, allegory and paradox, he set forth, in the book that bears his name, the early ideas of what was to become the Taoist school. Central to these is the belief that only by understanding Tao (the Way of Nature) and dwelling in its unity can man achieve true happiness and freedom, in both life and death.

Chuang Tzu: Basic Writings includes the seven "inner chapters," which form the heart of the book, three of the "outer chapters," and one of the "miscellaneous chapters." Watson also provides an introduction, placing the philosopher in relation to Chinese history and thought.

Witty and imaginative, enriched by brilliant imagery, and making sportive use of both mythological and historical personages (including even Confucius), this timeless classic is sure to appeal to anyone interested in Chinese religion and culture.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:26 -0400)

Columbia University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Columbia University Press.

Editions: 0231105959, 0231129599

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,406,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible