Bride of Pendorric by Victoria Holt

Bride of Pendorric (original 1963; edition 2009)

by Victoria Holt

Title:Bride of Pendorric
Authors:Victoria Holt
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2009), Edition: 1 Original, Paperback, 336 pages

Bride of Pendorric by Victoria Holt (1963)

Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt (nu-bibliophile)
    The King of the Castle by Victoria Holt (nu-bibliophile)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (kraaivrouw, nu-bibliophile)
    nu-bibliophile: Very similar but the twist in Bride of Pendorric is better and more surprising.

Another wonderful book. I couldn't put it down. Great suspense and Victoria Holt is just awesome at holding back just the right amount of details to keep the reader hanging on until the last few pages. Although I had my suspicions about who may be the good and the bad, all was revealed only at the very end. Nice book. I can't wait to start the next. ( )
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |
I presumed this tale would be set in the 1800s, thus it came as a surprise when realising it was set around the time of the book's publication. Even so, it didn't "feel" like the early 1960s, but more like a few decades earlier, despite certain references that clarified the story to be contemporary.

As for the story, it reminded me of several other Victoria Holt novels, including the usual long suspenseful build-up to a climax that was over too soon.

I often feel that this author doesn't squeeze the full potential out of dramatic/exciting/frightening scenarios. She's great at building suspense, creating mystery, but tends to resolve her heroine's most trying moments too quickly and too easily, as I feel she's done here.

The characters are all well-drawn, especially the twelve-year-old twins.

Overall, a good read with potential to have been much better. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Mar 18, 2016 |
I love love love Victoria Holt ! This book was awesome. The story was great. If you enjoyed Rebecca by Daphe Du Maurier, you'll love this book. The twist in this story was huge, surprising, and unexpected. I didn't see it coming and I would've never guessed that it would be like that. This was a great book with incredible mysteries, suspense, and twist. Read it you'll enjoy it. ( )
1 vote nu-bibliophile | Jul 29, 2011 |
Victoria Holt was an incredibly prolific writer, writing under several pseudonyms - most prominently Victoria Holt, Jean Plaidy, and Philippa Carr. Victoria Holt was her pseudonym for writing Gothic romance and these books are wonderful and old-fashioned and fun to read. I remember staying up all night at my Mississippi grandmother's house when I was in high school reading The Legend of the Seventh Virgin and loving every minute of it. I've also read The Mistress of Mellyn although I thought it was just okay. I grabbed this one because I'm reading books published in my birth year and I'm glad I did.

This was great fun! The plot obviously owes a lot to Rebecca, although to Holt's credit her heroine is much less whiney and annoying than Du Maurier's - I never once had the desire to smack her around. The Cornish setting combined with mysterious and dangerous happenings, family surprises, sexy nurses and governesses with husband-stealing on their minds, and (I kid you not) evil twins - this makes for lots of Gothic fun and some chills and thrills. Great escapist reading. ( )
1 vote kraaivrouw | Aug 29, 2010 |
It's been quite a few years since I read this one. It contains all the necessary ingredients for a classic Holt Gothic; innocent young woman, dark mysterious man, unclear motives, mistaken identities, dark brooding house, possible ghosts, and attractive red herrings. I love it as much as I did when I was young.

Favel falls hard for Roc Pendoric, and marries him in haste after the death of her father. It is only when he takes her to his ancestral home in Cornwall, and she meets his family (all with secrets of their own) that she realizes that she may fall victim to the Curse of the Brides.
  MerryMary | Feb 21, 2010 |
I often marveled after I went to Pendorric that one's existence could change so swiftly, so devastatingly.

Favel Farington knew very little about her new husband. When they met in Capri, the dashing young heir to Pendorric had swept the lovely English girl into marriage with the sudden fierceness of a summer storm. It was all wonderfully exciting, until Favel discovered that someone was planning a very special place for her in the family -- in the crypt with the other legendary "brides of Pendorric" who had all died so mysteriously, so tragically, and so young. Suddenly the words "till death do us part" took on a new and ominous meaning...

Favel Farrington meets Roc Pendorric on the idyllic Mediterranean island of Capri, where she was raised and lives with her father.  Roc sweeps her off her feet, taking her from her home by an emerald sea to the ancient family home of the Pendorrics, in Cornwall. His sister and her family await them with open arms, welcoming young Favel. She is the much anticipated Bride of Pendorric, a name that amuses and flatters her.

The castle is beautiful in its way, but the atmosphere is foreboding. Roc’s twin nieces begin watching her carefully; even the stones in the courtyard seem to have eyes.  On the walls hang portraits of two other Brides of Pendorric—one of them Roc’s mother—who died both young and tragically. Favel’s fear increases as Roc seems to be growing more and more distant. Has her courtship and marriage been just a deception?

Soon Favel can no longer dismiss as accidents the strange things happening to her. Someone is trying to kill her and she must confront the very real dangers that surround her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:46 -0400)

From the day Favel came to Pendorric as the bride of Roc Pendorric she was drawn more and more under the spell of the place and the legend that hung about it of the curse of the Brides of Pendorric.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,727,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible