Bob and Otto by Robert O. Bruel

Bob and Otto

by Robert O. Bruel

The book "Bob and Otto" is a book about how two little insects find their way and reach their full potential. I loved this book. I thought the illustrations and structure of this book was inspired. Having the pages cut into two different pictures with two different sentences for whats going on with each character was very interesting and fun to read. I also loved the flow of the writing because it made the book more enjoyable. The overall tone of the book was upbeat and engaging which made it hard to put it down. The big idea of this book actually two. One message is that insects help the earth, they help the plants and they help other insects/ other animals. The other message is that friends accept each other and help each other when they are feeling blue.
  jessclark | Nov 8, 2016 |
  jclark35 | Nov 8, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is a wonderful book to use for young children. This is a great book to use for a read-aloud session or independent reading because of its vivid illustrations, large bold print, and simple storyline. The big idea of this story is to stress the significance of friendship and how everyone is special in their own unique way. There are several reasons why I enjoy this book. First, the language was clear and concise. This makes it easy for young students to comprehend what the text is saying. The language also uses sensory details to describe the season of spring, the environment, and the creatures’ emotions. For example, the story states, “These fresh, green leaves are very tasty up here, thought Bob,” which helps the reader visualize the environment. The story is written in chronological order, which made the writing well organized. It also uses bold print and has a good number of words on each page; therefore, it is engaging, fun to read, and not overwhelming to students. The two characters, Bob and Otto, are believable because they are two best friends who have fun together. The story reads, “These two very good friends spent each day digging in the ground, playing in the grass, and eating the leaves that feel from the old tree.” Students can relate to these characters because they may also have a best friend who they spend much of their time with. What I enjoy most about this story are the illustrations and the plot. The vivid and colorful illustrations of scenery, springtime, Otto digging underground, and Bob transforming into a butterfly enhance the story and help bring it to life. The beautiful drawings are eye-catching, which engages children of all ages. The plot of the story is that Otto wants to remain digging underground, yet Bob decides to climb the tall tree and eat the fresh leaves. In the tree, Bob morphs into a beautiful yellow butterfly. The two creatures then reunite and Otto is upset that he stayed underground and did not grow big, beautiful wings. Bob cheers up his best friend by stating, “But while you were digging, you loosened the soil so the roots could drink water, so the three could grow tall, so the leaves would be green, so I could eat the leaves, and grow wings.” I love that Bob helped Otto realize the importance of his existence and duty as a worm. This teaches children that everyone is important, no matter whom they are. It pushes readers to realize that no one person is better than another, and that we all need each other to thrive. The story also signifies the importance of friendship, which is noted at the end of the book when Bob states, “You’re not just a worm. You’re my best friend. And friends are important.” This is my favorite line of the story; it is very heartwarming and allows us to realize how lucky we are to have our friends. ( )
  jgiann2 | Feb 24, 2014 |
Bob and Otto are two inseparable friends – a worm and a caterpillar – who love to hang out together, have fun and eat leaves that fall from the trees. One day Bob decides he wants to climb up on the tree to see the world from up above, and Otto does not like the idea and decides to dig deep into the ground. So they do what they want for a while, until they realize they are alone. They miss each other and decide to go look for one another. But now Bob is a butterfly and Otto is still a worm. Will they still be friends? A science lesson can explore the story focusing on the butterfly cycle and/or the importance of worms for the soil.
  tati4books | May 2, 2009 |
Wonderful book that combines friendship and how worms and caterpillars are different; life cycles; and roles of each. ( )
  thompsonlibrary | Jan 6, 2009 |

Otto the worm is shocked to discover that his best friend Bob is actually a caterpillar who emerges one day as a butterfly.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,795,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible