The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier

The Lady and the Unicorn (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Tracy Chevalier

Member:amdrane2
Title:The Lady and the Unicorn
Authors:Tracy Chevalier
Info:Dutton Adult (2004), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 250 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:historical

The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier (2003)

English (95)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (99)
I don't usually LOVE books anymore, but this I picked up and couldn't put down. I loved it. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
I actually found this book more engaging than Girl with a Pearl Earring, even though the subject matter of "Girl" was more appealing to me (I love Vermeer).

The interesting thing that Chevalier does in this book is the point of view switches from chapter to chapter. We literally see the same story unfold from the eyes of several main players, and she does an excellent job of pulling that off. POV changes are tricky, as is this business of telling the same story, literally, over and over again. But because she inhabits each character so intimately, it kept me turning the pages.

I recommend it! ( )
  Frances.S.Brown | Apr 26, 2016 |
I listened to this book on Audio CD. This was another amazing novel by Tracy Chevalier. It has now become my favorite by her. I loved the accents of the narrators and the entire historical story. I have never listened to an Audio CD more than once before but I could definitely listen to this one again. Wish I had bought it and not requested it from the library. Looks like I may be ordering a copy in the future. I would highly recommend. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
Disappointing. The best thing about this book was how short it is (the only reason I finished). Again—as seems to be a pattern in my reading lately—I hated most of the main characters, and as much as I liked the premise built around those tapestries, I really don't feel like I would have missed anything by not reading it. I've read much better medieval fiction by Karen Cushman and Rebecca Barnhouse, and those were young adult books. ( )
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
While it was an interesting story and I liked the way she developed the story line from different perspectives I really didn't care for most of the characters enough to love the book. ( )
  lkarr | Feb 6, 2016 |

Tracy Chevalierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hasselberger, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirch, Eve L.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Kim
The messenger said I was to come at once.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452285453, Paperback)

If you think you wouldn't raise your skirts for a rakish legend about the purifying powers of a unicorn's horn, then maybe you aren't a 15th-century serving girl under the sway of a velvet-tongued court painter of ill repute. In keeping with her bestselling Girl with a Pearl Earring, and its Edwardian-era follow-up, Falling Angels, Tracy Chevalier's tale of artistic creation and late-medieval amours, The Lady and the Unicorn is a subtle study in social power, and the conflicts between love and duty. Nicolas des Innocents has been commissioned by the Parisian nobleman Jean Le Viste to design a series of large tapestries for his great hall (in real life, the famous Lady and the Unicorn cycle, now in Paris's Musee National du Moyen-Age Thermes de Cluny). While Nicolas is measuring the walls, he meets a beautiful girl who turns out to be Jean Le Viste's daughter. Their passion is impossible for their world--so forbidden, given their class differences, that its only avenue of expression turns out to be those magnificent tapestries. The historical evidence on which this story is based is slight enough to allow the full play of Chevalier's imagination in this cleverly woven tale. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:13 -0400)

"A set of bewitching medieval tapestries hangs today in a protected chamber in Paris. They appear to portray a woman's seduction of a unicorn, but the story behind their making is unknown - until now." "Paris, 1490. A shrewd French nobleman commissions six lavish tapestries celebrating his rising status at Court. He hires the charismatic, arrogant, sublimely talented Nicolas des Innocents to design them. Nicolas creates havoc among the women in the house - mother and daughter, servant and lady-in-waiting - before taking his designs north to the Brussels workshop where the tapestries are to be woven." "There, master-weaver Georges de la Chapelle risks everything he has on finishing the tapestries - his finest, most intricate work - on time for his exacting French client. Ill-prepared for temptation and seduction, he and his family are consumed by the project and by their dealings with the full-blooded painter from Paris." "The results change all their lives - lives that have been captured in the tapestries, for those who know where to look."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,799,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible