The last detective by Robert Crais

The last detective (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Robert Crais

Member:pjdscca
Title:The last detective
Authors:Robert Crais
Info:New York : Doubleday, c2003.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Last Detective by Robert Crais (2003)

Recently added byprivate library, KRoan, jaykapila, Hardboiled, TomCrowley3

English (15)  Spanish (1)  All languages (16)
Amazon.com Review Don't start reading The Last Detective with much on your calendar. This tense, satisfying thriller will glue you to your chair, as private eye Elvis Cole--the star of eight previous Robert Crais novels, prior to the Cole-less Demolition Angel and Hostage--faces his toughest case: the abduction of his girlfriend's son, 10-year-old Ben Chenier, who was staying with Elvis when he was snatched. Panic at Ben's disappearance turns to terror when the kidnapper phones to reveal his apparent motive, a dark secret from Elvis's past. But the plot thickens and twists, and then twists again, as Elvis and his longtime buddy, tough guy Joe Pike, race the clock against a group of villains as sinister as they are capable. The author mixes Elvis's first-person narration with third-person sections that describe other points of view--a risky technique, but Crais makes it work. He also does a fine job resurrecting the wisecracking Elvis of earlier books while imbuing him with a new depth and darkness. This dazzlingly plotted, crisply told story is threaded with real detection (what a rarity!) and peopled by characters you can't help but care about--including Carol Starkey, the haunted bomb-squad cop from Demolition Angel, who's now a juvenile-abduction detective. Crais has long been getting better with each book, and The Last Detective continues the pattern. --Nicholas H. Allison From Wikipedia The Last Detective is a 2003 detective novel by Robert Crais. It is the ninth in a series of linked novels centering on the private investigator Elvis Cole. It was a finalist for the Audie award. Read more - Shopping-Enabled Wikipedia on Amazon
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Great read! Kind of uncomfortable in places, but realistically so. Ben is kidnapped and Elvis must get him back, as much for himself as for Luce and Ben. Somewhat predictable and expected but still good. I like how Elvis & Joe are both human with failings and weaknesses. Somewhat confused about the very end... ( )
  plunkinberry | Jun 8, 2012 |
I wasn't as impressed with this one as the previous one. I really begin to not like Lucy. Although I'm sure she's acting like any mother would in that situation. It was nice to find out how Elvis got his name and some of his background. I would have loved if Pike had gone back to Alaska at the end to get the bear. ( )
1 vote msphotogirl | Apr 12, 2012 |
A gripping read

This was a fast paced thriller that is sure to be one of Robert Crais' best books. It grabbed my senses from the very beginning and didn't let up until I finished reading the exciting ending. I think that it is probably one of the darkest books in the series, and it is fascinating how it explores Elvis' past, and Joe Pike's hidden insecurities. I couldn't put the book down and I read it over a two evening period. The only disappointment was the solution of the kidnapping...a little bit contrived and unrealistic in my mind. Still, this is a roller coaster read. ( )
  MichaelDeavers | Feb 23, 2011 |
A gripping read.

This was a fast paced thriller that is sure to be one of Robert Crais' best books. It grabbed my senses from the very beginning and didn't let up until I finished reading the exciting ending. I think that it is probably one of the darkest books in the series, and it is fascinating how it explores Elvis' past, and Joe Pike's hidden insecurities. I couldn't put the book down and I read it over a two evening period. The only disappointment was the solution of the kidnapping...a little bit contrived and unrealistic in my mind. Still, this is a roller coaster read and I highly recommend it. ( )
  CharlieWiles | Jan 14, 2011 |
The Church of Pike Angoon, Alaska
The cold Alaskan water pulled at the fishing boats that lined the dock, the boats straining against their moorings to run free with the tide.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345451902, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:42 -0400)

When the son of his long-time girlfriend, Lucy, goes missing, Elvis Cole finds himself encumbered by his personal demons, the dark secrets of his childhood, and long-suppressed memories of his service in Vietnam.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible