Elmer (Elmer Books) by David McKee

Elmer (Elmer Books) (1968)

by David McKee

English (30)  Japanese (1)  All languages (31)
Elmer the elephant is a bright, multicolored, patchwork patterned elephant living among plain gray colored elephants. The other elephants pick on him and laugh at him, so Elmer tries to find ways to blend in. In the end, he realizes that he’s happy being himself. This could be used in the classroom to discuss how the author/illustrator incorporated art into his character and how it impacted the story. ( )
  eilawest | Jun 17, 2014 |
Elmer is an adorable book to teach young children about how being different is ok. It focuses on Elmer, a patchwork colored elephant surrounded by normal colored elephants. He feels that the other elephants are making fun of him for his differences, so he attempts to disguise himself as a normal elephant by painting over his natural colors. However, he soon realizes that life as a normal elephant is not the same and eventually realizes that his differences should be celebrated. I could see this book being used to start a discussion about why it might feel strange to be different, but also why differences could be good. For younger students, I could also tie this in with an art project where they decorate “Elmer elephants”.
  cseiger | May 21, 2014 |
SUMMARY-This book is about Elmer the Patchwork Elephant who wants to be like all the other elephants as far as how he looks. He realizes that even though he changed his color he is still the same.

PERSONAL REACTION- I thought this was a good book, it teaches us that we may all look different we are all the same. We all bleed red. It is not what is on the 'outside' but what is on the 'inside' that matters.

EXTENSION IDEAS- You could use this in the classroom for an Art lesson, because of the many various colors Elmer has on him. You could use this as a life lesson also, to treat all people the same no matter who they are.
  PauletteHernandez | Feb 12, 2014 |
If my son was an elephant, he would be an elephant like Elmer: yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, blue, green, black, white. So many times does he stress his multiple bright colors each time he pretends to be dog, or cat. But, Elmer does not take joy in being so colorful, because after all, who wants to be different?

I was probably expecting a silly story, but it's not. It's gentle and sensitive and my son was full of empathy for Elmer. In fact, I was surprised at how much he felt for him, right at the first pages he identified that he was sad about being different, and he completely anticipated what his intentions were as he wandered away from the other elephants. This is one of those heartfelt stories about individuality, such as for instance my favorite [b:Chrysanthemum|858513|Chrysanthemum|Kevin Henkes|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348668136s/858513.jpg|2394502]. ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |
Elmer the elephant is about a special elephant that doesn't look like the rest. He finds out that who he is is special and is proud to be that way.
  Kayla_Christopherson | Dec 11, 2012 |
For Brett
There was once a herd of elephants.

Elmer the elephant is bright-colored patchwork all over. No wonder the other elephants laugh at him! If he were ordinary elephant color, the others might stop laughing. That would make Elmer feel better, wouldn't it? The surprising conclusion of David McKee's comical fable is a celebration of individuality and the power of laughter.

Elmer the elephant, a colorful character because of his patchwork hide and sense of humor, tries to blend in with the herd, but soon realizes that he's happiest just being himself. "McKee's gentle humor and love of irony are in full force in this celebration of individuality and laughter." -- Publisher's Weekly.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:38 -0400)

All the elephants of the jungle were gray except Elmer, who was a patchwork of brilliant colors until the day he got tired of being different and making the other elephants laugh.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,341,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible