Elmer by David McKee

English (44)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  English (47)
Great book! The book portrays a simple, yet powerful message. The book is relatively easy to understand and is easy for children to relate to. This is a valuable book to read to children as they begin to learn about themselves and make new friends. ( )
  morgansmith32 | Nov 13, 2016 |
A great story about acceptance. Elmer the elephant wants to fit in, but finds out that his unique coloring is what makes him the elephant that he is.
  michebee | Nov 2, 2016 |
Thanks to Wiebke, I’ve discovered my first Elmer book. I’m very grateful. This is a gift worthy book for new babies and for young children.

This is the first Elmer book, and there are many others. Unfortunately, my library has only a very few of the books, perhaps because they’re British books.

I am so surprised I’d never known of these books. This book was first published in 1968. I’d have thought I’d have come across them before now.

This story is charming and sweet, lighthearted, and very amusing.

This particular book is a great educational tool for children who are enjoying learning their colors.

The positive message about celebrating differences is done in a way that’s not at all heavy handed and I think it’s effective. It’s also a wonderful friendship story.

The illustrations are very colorful and fun. There is a lot to look at on every page. I especially enjoyed some of the facial expressions the various animals exhibit. So entertaining!

Children’s adults will be just as entertained as they are, and in my opinion that’s one thing that makes a great children’s picture book. I can see why this is a classic.

One short quote from the author’s biography on the inside back cover that I really appreciated: Mr. McKee enjoys…doing books that “leave things unsaid.”

Lovely book!

4 ½ stars ( )
  Lisa2013 | Oct 28, 2016 |
This book kept me engaged throughout. The story has a great message that can relate to students. Many students find themselves to be different and have a difficult time in school and this story shows that it is actually a good thing to be different. The elephants talking and Elmer being multiple colors are the elements of fantasy presented in this text. This book would most likely be used in Kindergarten at the beginning of the year.
  leighTembrey | Sep 28, 2016 |
Elmer is a bright and colorful elephant full of humor.. But he is constantly getting laughed at for the way he looks. He tries his hardest to blend in with the rest of his heard, but soon realizes that he likes himself just the way he is!
Great for helping students identify and love themselves! ( )
  sehuff | Sep 7, 2016 |
For Brett
There was once a herd of elephants.

Elmer the elephant is bright-colored patchwork all over. No wonder the other elephants laugh at him! If he were ordinary elephant color, the others might stop laughing. That would make Elmer feel better, wouldn't it? The surprising conclusion of David McKee's comical fable is a celebration of individuality and the power of laughter.

Elmer the elephant, a colorful character because of his patchwork hide and sense of humor, tries to blend in with the herd, but soon realizes that he's happiest just being himself. "McKee's gentle humor and love of irony are in full force in this celebration of individuality and laughter." -- Publisher's Weekly.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

All the elephants of the jungle were gray except Elmer, who was a patchwork of brilliant colors until the day he got tired of being different and making the other elephants laugh.

47 wanted3 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible