Elmer by David McKee

English (37)  Japanese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (39)
"Elmer" is about an elephant that is a little different from the rest of the elephants. The other elephants are gray but Elmer is patchwork with different, bright colors that help him stand out in the crowd. He likes to make the other elephants laugh and smile but one day thought that maybe they were only laughing because he looked different from them. He decides to paint himself gray and rejoin the elephant crowd. But when he does he notices that they are all very serious and not happy. He decides to make a joke and as soon as he does the others say how they wish Elmer was there. He learns that they like him because he makes them smile and be happy, not because he looks different.

This is a great book in helping to teach kids learn about diversity. Sometimes not everyone looks the same or comes from the same culture, but if they get to know everybody they will see that everyone is special in their own way and we can all be friends. This also reinforces that if a child feels different due to their appearance, they shouldn't conform or try to blend into the crowd but be proud of their culture and heritage.
  Rachel_Feldberg | Nov 28, 2015 |
This book is good for teaching children to embrace differences and not changing your appearance to conform. This book is great for teaching diversity.
  rhugues | Nov 11, 2015 |
Young Reader Reaction: My daughter liked looking at the pictures of the elephants, but she was unable to stay focused for the story.

Adult Reader Reaction: I have always loved Elmer! It has a great theme and delightful illustrations. I was not surprised that my daughter was unable to focus as we read this book because it has a lot of text compared to most board books.

Read whether we recommend buying or borrowing this book in the full review at The Reading Tub®. You can add your review, too.
  TheReadingTub | Oct 24, 2015 |
Found at the thrift store. We've read this one a few times but it wasn't a big hit with O. Thought maybe H would enjoy it as he likes elephants and colors. His interest was lost partway through so we'll see. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Elmer, the patchwork elephant who keeps everyone amused, feels that maybe the other elephants and animals laugh at him just because he is different. But he finds out just how special they consider him.

The illustrations are straightforward and colourful, as you would expect for a children's book, and I like the attention to detail; on a page with about 40 elephants, each one has its own individual characteristics. And I must confess - I like Elmer's sense of fun.

This is an old favourite that I bought for my older son years ago, and read to my younger son for his bedtime story a few nights ago. Simple, fun, engaging, uplifting. We love it!

5***** ( )
  libraian | Apr 12, 2015 |
For Brett
There was once a herd of elephants.

Elmer the elephant is bright-colored patchwork all over. No wonder the other elephants laugh at him! If he were ordinary elephant color, the others might stop laughing. That would make Elmer feel better, wouldn't it? The surprising conclusion of David McKee's comical fable is a celebration of individuality and the power of laughter.

Elmer the elephant, a colorful character because of his patchwork hide and sense of humor, tries to blend in with the herd, but soon realizes that he's happiest just being himself. "McKee's gentle humor and love of irony are in full force in this celebration of individuality and laughter." -- Publisher's Weekly.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

All the elephants of the jungle were gray except Elmer, who was a patchwork of brilliant colors until the day he got tired of being different and making the other elephants laugh.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible