13 Bullets by David Wellington
2007 (2) 2012 (2) action (2) c (2) cops (2) detective (3) ebook (7) fantasy (7) fiction (30) horror (70) Kindle (5) Laura Caxton (4) library (4) Mobi (2) mystery (2) novel (4) paperback (2) paranormal (4) police (4) read (8) series (6) sff (2) speculative fiction (2) supernatural (7) to-read (21) unread (6) urban fantasy (5) vampires (78) wishlist (5) zombies (3)

The action in 13 BULLETS starts from the very beginning and only lets up long enough for you to catch your breathe. It then starts again and sucks you into all the excitement and suspense. This pace keeps up until the very end where it ends a little suddenly. Despite the build up and satisfying climax, I still wanted more. Through the entire book, Wellington keeps you highly engaged and interested in what is happening.

A routine drunk checkpoint starts events on a roll with Trooper Laura Caxton as she quickly becomes involved in hunting down vampires with Special Agent Jameson Arkeley. With barely time to ponder what is happening, Caxton finds out the hard way how to fight vampires and the half-dead they can animate.

While the book might sound like it is pure action and no plot, it does have a true story and interesting characters that are driving that story. There was even an unexpected twist at the end; you can half-see it coming but not to the level of depth that unfolds. As I mentioned above, I was left wanting more and fortunately there is a sequel in the form of 99 COFFINS. Luckily, it's already on my list of books to read. ( )
  dagon12 | Dec 11, 2013 |
Frustrating and not a stand-alone. The ending was so abrupt that I felt cheated. I liked his wife's proposed ending- there was a denouement at least something happened. ( )
  SomeGuyInVirginia | Feb 1, 2013 |
What a ride.
I picked this up at a used book store and I'm sure glad I did.
This was much better than I thought it would be. The vampires aren't traditional, which I loved, and much more scary.
There is a lot of action and gore, so If that's what you like go on and pick this up now!
The main character, Laura, is completely relatable and i'm sure I would have done most of the things she did.
I would definitely recommend this to vampire lovers, at least vampire lovers who like their vamps ugly and scary, not sparkly. ( )
  DeathsMistress | Jan 26, 2013 |
If you're sick to death of seeing "sparkely" vampires and long for the days you could read about real monsters then this is the novel for you. Though some feeble humans fall under the "hypnotic spell" of the vampire, these ones are grotesque and are not romanticized in the slightest. The novel itself is incredibly violent, but riddled with a handful of landmines of humor which are unexpected but welcome palate cleansers throughout the novel. The plot turns were wholly unexpected, but were welcome surprises. It also offers an LGBT main character that isn't one dimensional which was an added bonus. ( )
  SadieOldenkamp | Nov 3, 2012 |
13 Bullets starts off with a bang! The book opens in the 1980s with SWAT, US Marshalls and the FBI on stakeout to take out a vampire. What ensues is a spectacular limb severing bloodbath with law enforcement getting annihilated by the vamp. One agent manages to survive, Jameson Arkeley. Fast Forward to present time where another vampire is on the loose. Arkeley is on the hunt and Laura Caxton, a state trooper, is about to be indoctrinated into a world she can scarcely believe.

13 Bullets is a decent vampire thriller. Wellington's portrayal of the vampire is far more animalistic than most. Yes, in order to kill his vampires the heart must be destroyed, but good luck with that. If a vampire has recently visited the local blood buffet they are damn near unstoppable. The characters were a bit flat and the story felt a tad disjointed at times. This is the first in a series of books and I am interested enough to see where the story goes. At this point, I am a little hesitant to recommend, but I may change my tune after delving into the next book. ( )
  JechtShot | May 3, 2012 |
Through the rain there wasn't much to see.

All the official reports say they are dead-extinct since the late ’80s, when a fed named Arkeley nailed the last vampire in a fight that nearly killed him. But the evidence proves otherwise.

When a state trooper named Caxton calls the FBI looking for help in the middle of the night, it is Arkeley who gets the assignment-who else? He’s been expecting such a call to come eventually. Sure, it has been years since any signs of an attack, but Arkeley knows what most people don’t: there is one left. In an abandoned asylum she is rotting, plotting, and biding her time in a way that only the undead can.

Caxton is out of her league on this case and more than a little afraid, but the fed made it plain that there is only one way out. But the worst thing is the feeling that the vampires want more than just her blood. They want her for a reason, one she can’t guess; a reason her sphinxlike partner knows but won’t say; a reason she has to find out-or die trying.

Now there are only 13 bullets between Caxton and Arkeley and the vampires. There are only 13 bullets between us, the living, and them, the damned.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:30 -0400)

The first in a bloodcurdling trilogy, the terrifying novel that became an Internet sensation is finally available in print. Featuring Laura Caxton and Jameson Arkeley's fight against a fast, furious, and truly vicious foe, this novel reignites the vampire genre for a new generation.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible