13 Bullets by David Wellington
3951927,097 (3.6)39

Laura Caxton is an ordinary state trooper. She believes in the work she does, and works hard to earn the approval of her superiors. One night, during a routine sobriety check, a driver rolls up, then veers around in an attempt to avoid troopers. Officers chase the driver down, and it becomes a foot chase that leads into the woods. The culprit gets away, leaving three mangled corpses in his trunk. It’s what’s found discarded in the woods, however, that leads the troopers to call in the Feds. Jameson Arkeley, reputed vampire hunter, comes onto the scene. What follows next is an incredible adventure, as Caxton and Arkeley fight to kill off the vampires in Pennsylvania before they succeed in their terrifying goal . . . reviving the blood thirsty Justinia Malvern—the only government protected vampire, once thought to be the last.

13 Bullets hits the ground running. The first three chapters, the only ones told from the point of view of Jameson Arkeley, is filled with action and death. David Wellington’s vampires are not fluffy cute, nor are they devilishly sexy. They are true monsters—horrific, powerful, and completely alien. While the first three chapters cannot speak for the story as a whole, it gives the reader a good idea of the sort of action to expect, and just how repulsive the vampires of 13 Bullets are. You’ll be cheering Arkeley on as he fights for his life against the creature known as Lares.

The best part about 13 Bullets is that it doesn’t end there. If the entire story was like the first three chapters—it would’ve been boring. But David Wellington knows how to make well rounded characters. Characters that envoke sympathy, anger, humor, and sadness. He knows, and loves, Pennsylvania—the nature, the history, the local color. There are quiet moments in 13 Bullets, lulls between the action, where you wonder when it is that Laura will finally snap. When Arkeley, her driven and unsympathetic partner, is finally going to go too far. Amid your disgust, you admire Wellington’s unique take on vampires, something he manages to do without turning his back completely on the legends and old stories. But I confess that as far as vampires go, I do not know much. Perhaps this sort of thing has been done before. Perhaps . . . but I don’t care. This much I know . . . 13 Bullets is a riveting, horrifying adventure tale that I could not put down.

When I started reading this story, it seemed to be on a dare. It boasted unflinching violence and none of the aristocratic sexiness that so many vampire stories are infected with. Being one of the many out there tired of the "Anne Rice’s" and "Stephanie Meyer’s" that flood the market, I approached the story guarded, prepared to pull up something better to do with my time instead.

60 Chapters later, I’m looking at my bank account ready to buy the next adventure by Wellington. He has done what I didn’t think possible . . .

He made me like a vampire story.

Recommended for those who like classic, merciless horror and adventure tales.
  Illise_Montoya | Sep 28, 2014 |
The action in 13 BULLETS starts from the very beginning and only lets up long enough for you to catch your breathe. It then starts again and sucks you into all the excitement and suspense. This pace keeps up until the very end where it ends a little suddenly. Despite the build up and satisfying climax, I still wanted more. Through the entire book, Wellington keeps you highly engaged and interested in what is happening.

A routine drunk checkpoint starts events on a roll with Trooper Laura Caxton as she quickly becomes involved in hunting down vampires with Special Agent Jameson Arkeley. With barely time to ponder what is happening, Caxton finds out the hard way how to fight vampires and the half-dead they can animate.

While the book might sound like it is pure action and no plot, it does have a true story and interesting characters that are driving that story. There was even an unexpected twist at the end; you can half-see it coming but not to the level of depth that unfolds. As I mentioned above, I was left wanting more and fortunately there is a sequel in the form of 99 COFFINS. Luckily, it's already on my list of books to read. ( )
  dagon12 | Dec 11, 2013 |
Frustrating and not a stand-alone. The ending was so abrupt that I felt cheated. I liked his wife's proposed ending- there was a denouement at least something happened. ( )
  SomeGuyInVirginia | Feb 1, 2013 |
What a ride.
I picked this up at a used book store and I'm sure glad I did.
This was much better than I thought it would be. The vampires aren't traditional, which I loved, and much more scary.
There is a lot of action and gore, so If that's what you like go on and pick this up now!
The main character, Laura, is completely relatable and i'm sure I would have done most of the things she did.
I would definitely recommend this to vampire lovers, at least vampire lovers who like their vamps ugly and scary, not sparkly. ( )
  DeathsMistress | Jan 26, 2013 |
If you're sick to death of seeing "sparkely" vampires and long for the days you could read about real monsters then this is the novel for you. Though some feeble humans fall under the "hypnotic spell" of the vampire, these ones are grotesque and are not romanticized in the slightest. The novel itself is incredibly violent, but riddled with a handful of landmines of humor which are unexpected but welcome palate cleansers throughout the novel. The plot turns were wholly unexpected, but were welcome surprises. It also offers an LGBT main character that isn't one dimensional which was an added bonus. ( )
  SadieOldenkamp | Nov 3, 2012 |
Through the rain there wasn't much to see.

All the official reports say they are dead-extinct since the late ’80s, when a fed named Arkeley nailed the last vampire in a fight that nearly killed him. But the evidence proves otherwise.

When a state trooper named Caxton calls the FBI looking for help in the middle of the night, it is Arkeley who gets the assignment-who else? He’s been expecting such a call to come eventually. Sure, it has been years since any signs of an attack, but Arkeley knows what most people don’t: there is one left. In an abandoned asylum she is rotting, plotting, and biding her time in a way that only the undead can.

Caxton is out of her league on this case and more than a little afraid, but the fed made it plain that there is only one way out. But the worst thing is the feeling that the vampires want more than just her blood. They want her for a reason, one she can’t guess; a reason her sphinxlike partner knows but won’t say; a reason she has to find out-or die trying.

Now there are only 13 bullets between Caxton and Arkeley and the vampires. There are only 13 bullets between us, the living, and them, the damned.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:30 -0400)

The first in a bloodcurdling trilogy, the terrifying novel that became an Internet sensation is finally available in print. Featuring Laura Caxton and Jameson Arkeley's fight against a fast, furious, and truly vicious foe, this novel reignites the vampire genre for a new generation.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,462,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible