13 Bullets by David Wellington

13 Bullets (edition 2007)

by David Wellington

Member:drneutron
Title:13 Bullets
Authors:David Wellington
Info:Three Rivers Press (2007), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, paranormal, vampire, action, horror

13 Bullets by David Wellington

I have not, hitherto, considered myself to be a reader of horror fiction - mostly because I'm a wimp and I don't want to have nightmares. But I really enjoyed this one.

To be honest, it's gory rather than scary, per se. Body count in triple figures, mostly courtesy of vampires who are actual monsters. These are not your wishy-washy sparkly vampires: these are predators. (Admittedly, I have a few minor quibbles with the way Wellington does vampires, but really, it's his train set and he can play with it however he likes - and minor quibbles did not significantly detract from my enjoyment [during daylight hours] of the story.)

Laura Caxton, highway patrol trooper, makes an unpleasant discovery at a routine traffic stop - and gets conscripted as junior van Helsing by the United States' best (only) vampire hunter: Special Deputy Arkeley. There must be something special about Laura, beyond the fact that she's the only one who's read Arkeley's report of his last (only) vampire killing - mustn't there?

The narrative follows the confused, scared Laura as she struggles to meet Arkeley's expectations (if she can figure out what they are) and to work out why he wants her at all. And why the vampires seem to want her, too. I have never hunted vampires, but Laura's reactions seemed to be pretty realistic - she goes through the gamut of this is cool/horror/fear/despair/terror/etc that a real person thrust into such a situation might do, rather than instantly becoming some kind of superpowered vampire killer. This was a nice change.

And I did like the twist at the end. Some might find it disappointing, but I thought it gave the whole book a new layer. You end up looking at the whole thing from a slightly different angle, and thinking yep, that's life.

Thoroughly recommended. ( )
  T_K_Elliott | Mar 12, 2017 |
Totally Awesome! One of the best vampire novels I have read in the long time. Completely blows that "Twilight" drek away. ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
This is definitely not my type of book. Way too dry. It doesn't mean that it's bad, just doesn't suit me at all. DNF
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Nice spin on the whole vampire tale. Nothing romantic here! Very brutal and intense.
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
Through the rain there wasn't much to see.

All the official reports say they are dead-extinct since the late ’80s, when a fed named Arkeley nailed the last vampire in a fight that nearly killed him. But the evidence proves otherwise.

When a state trooper named Caxton calls the FBI looking for help in the middle of the night, it is Arkeley who gets the assignment-who else? He’s been expecting such a call to come eventually. Sure, it has been years since any signs of an attack, but Arkeley knows what most people don’t: there is one left. In an abandoned asylum she is rotting, plotting, and biding her time in a way that only the undead can.

Caxton is out of her league on this case and more than a little afraid, but the fed made it plain that there is only one way out. But the worst thing is the feeling that the vampires want more than just her blood. They want her for a reason, one she can’t guess; a reason her sphinxlike partner knows but won’t say; a reason she has to find out-or die trying.

Now there are only 13 bullets between Caxton and Arkeley and the vampires. There are only 13 bullets between us, the living, and them, the damned.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

The first in a bloodcurdling trilogy, the terrifying novel that became an Internet sensation is finally available in print. Featuring Laura Caxton and Jameson Arkeley's fight against a fast, furious, and truly vicious foe, this novel reignites the vampire genre for a new generation.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,310,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible