The Laws of Our Fathers by Scott Turow

The Laws of Our Fathers (edition 1997)

by Scott Turow

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Laws of Our Fathers
Authors:Scott Turow
Info:Warner Vision (1997), Paperback
Rating:***

The Laws of Our Fathers by Scott Turow

I was surprised that this was so looong. I was expecting a mystery from Scott Turow, but this was not one. I enjoyed the characters and the readers. I did read it all the way to the end, but was very ready for my next read. ( )
  njcur | Jul 12, 2016 |
I've been a book junkie for 56 years. With that in mind, try to imagine how many books I have completed. That said, this is one of the most interesting novels I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Thank you, Mr. Turow. Well done!! ( )
  briellenadyne | Apr 11, 2016 |
2nd book by this author I have read. First one was hard going but this one was way too wordy and I lost interest many times. Did not finish ( )
  baldhead | Apr 11, 2015 |
A good, if not great, book. A nice look at the hippie-turned-boomer class. I found myself as intrigued by the exposition of the past as I was with the actual trial. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
An intriguing story that reunites a group of university friends and acquaintances 25 years after their student days. The event that brings them together is a murder trial. The American street slang and abbreviations take a bit of getting used to, but do not detract from the story which is more than a crime novel.
It is also a story of love and the relationships between the group and gradually reveals the reasons for their differences over the years. In addition, it shows the love and concerns of parents for their children and the effects that these cause.
There is so much more to the book than the reason for the crime and its solution.
  camharlow | Nov 28, 2011 |
Those of us born in the years of bounty after World War II knew we had a different outlook than earlier generations of Americans. Blinkered by need, they had come of age with narrower commitments-to the glory of God, the glee of acquisition, or the mean little business of survival. But we took seriously the promise of the Declaration of Independence that the birthright of America was not merely life or liberty, but the pursuit of happiness. Personally, as a child, I always assumed that was the point of growing up. So I'd feel better than I did then.

Which leaves us with the awful doomed inquiry of our middle years, the harpy's voice that whispers in dreams, at sunrise, at those unforeseen, instants of drilling isolation; Is this as happy as I will ever be? Do I have the right to just a little more? Or is there nothing better I should hope for?
-Michael Frain
"The Survivor's Guide,"
September 7, 1995
For Rachel, Gabriel, and Eve
Dawn. The air is brackish, although this place is miles from water.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446604402, Mass Market Paperback)

At the close of legal-thriller novelist Scott Turow's second book, The Burden of Proof, Sonia Klonsky was a young prosecutor in Kindle County Courthouse with a failing marriage, an infant daughter, and a single mastectomy. Now, as the narrator of Turow's latest novel, she's a Superior Court Judge presiding over the murder trial of one Nile Eddgar, accused of arranging the slaying of his ghetto-activist mother, June. Turow attempts a sort of social history of the 60s in this ambitious mystery, but the most vivid passages come when the gangbangers of the Black Saints Disciples take center stage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:11 -0400)

With the drive-by shooting of a politician's ex-wife, a group of 1960's radicals decides its time to reunite for the purpose of intimidating a once crusading female judge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,023,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible