The Complete Stories Volume I: v. 1 by Isaac…

The Complete Stories Volume I: v. 1 (original 1990; edition 1993)

by Isaac Asimov

Member:IAmAndyPieters
Title:The Complete Stories Volume I: v. 1
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Collins (1993), Hardcover, 624 pages
Collections:Fiction, Science Fiction, Read but unowned

The Complete Stories, Volume 1 by Isaac Asimov (1990)

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
From the author that inspired the I-Robot, and the Bicentennial man movie, this is a collection of some of his short works. I particularly liked `Profession', `Franchise', `Satisfaction guaranteed' , `Nightfall', oh heck, I liked each and every one of them! ( )
  IAmAndyPieters | Feb 27, 2013 |
I sometimes joke that Isaac Asimov is my intellectual father: although that's not that far from the truth. His essays, pro-reason and pro-science, had a huge influence upon me growing up. He's probably best known for his science fiction novels, but I think his best fiction by far is to be found in his short stories. This first volume collecting his short stories has several of his best. There are 46 short stories here, one from 1941, five from the 1960s, but the bulk are from the fifties. Some details are dated, certainly, especially in social matters. Asimov considered himself a feminist and he created one of the most brilliant female characters in science fiction in robotologist Susan Calvin. But in these stories that men make all the important decisions, both at work and home, is taken for granted. Central planning--done by computers, of course--is also taken for granted as the wave of the future. But what strikes me nevertheless is how well these stories hold up, and how memorable they are. The stories come from three previous anthologies I had read: Earth is Room Enough, Nine Tomorrows and Nightfall and Other Stories. With many I only had to see the title to remember the story--even though it had been decades. With others it didn't take many pages for them to come back to me. The ideas are clever, the twists unforgettable. Below I name my five favorites:

1) "The Dead Past" - This is my favorite Asimov story, not just of the collection, but of any I've read. It might very well have been the first Asimov, maybe even the first work of science fiction, I ever read, and it's amazing, because it forever shifted my perception of the meaning of time. And more than that, it's psychologically penetrating and emotionally moving in ways Asimov rarely managed.

2) "The Ugly Little Boy" - And this is my second favorite Asimov story of any I've read. Asimov in the 1990 Introduction calls it his "third-favorite story." He noted his "takes tend to be cerebral, but I count on this one to bring about a tear or two." One of his most powerful and moving stories.

3) "The Last Question" - In the Introduction he claims that this "of all the stories I have written, is my absolute favorite." It's certainly a favorite of mine. I'd even bow enough to his judgement to place it third among all his short stories.

4) "Nightfall" - arguably the most famous and popular of all his short stories. As he mentions in the Introduction, it's one the "Science Fiction Writers of America have voted the best science fiction story ever written." It's certainly a contender.

5) "Profession" - One of those I immediately remembered just from the title. Too many times Asimov seems to align with a rather regimented utopia. I loved that this one rather cut against that in terms of the nature of genius.

I have to say that while it was easy to name my top four--they'd be the same four in the same order if you were to ask me to rank all of Asimov's stories, choosing which among the rest to be the fifth was hard. I could think of at least ten contenders that deserve mention just as much. Which says a lot about the strength of this collection, a great introduction to Asimov's fiction. ( )
2 vote LisaMaria_C | Oct 16, 2012 |
Treasure beyond compare. Because of Isaac I have had a long and enduring love of robots, space, and science fiction in general. There are many wonderful authors out there but Isaac stands alone, and I for one are extremely grateful that he was so prolific in his art. My only wish now is that I had the second volume of his works. ( )
  kpolhuis | May 18, 2010 |
I had forgotten how good a writer Asimov was -- and even 50 years after some of these stories, they're still great yarns. Includes some of the greatest sci fi stories ever written. ( )
  NellieMc | Mar 1, 2009 |
The first of a two part collection of Asimov stories. Not exclusively sci-fi, they cover fiction as well. A good collection, though The Complete Robot is still the definitive collection of Asimov Sci-fi stories. ( )
  Karlstar | Sep 10, 2008 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shaw, BarclayCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is the volume 1 of the Complete Stories. Do not combine with volume 2.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038541627X, Paperback)

The first book of the definitive three-volume collection of short stories by the prolific Isaac Asimov, whose tales have delighted countless fans for over half a century--a must for every science fiction bookshelf.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:33 -0400)

Collection of 48 science fiction stories by Isaac Asimov.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible