Train Man by Hitori Nakano

Member:PhoenixTerran
Title:Train Man
Authors:Hitori Nakano
Other authors:Bonnie Elliott
Info:New York, N.Y. : Del Rey/Ballantine Books, [2007], c2006.
Tags:Fiction, Japan

Train Man: The Novel by Hitori Nakano

English (12)  German (1)  All languages (13)
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-2V
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-2V ( )
  Saretta.L | Mar 31, 2013 |
I read this whole book in one sitting, it was a lot of fun, much to my delight. And since I've just recently gotten into watching jdramas, I felt I understood more than I didn't about Japanese pop culture. The book is written in message board style, which makes it fun to read as well as a unique format. The story, both of the netizens commenting and that of Train Man himself, is fun. But it's really Train Man's descriptions of his experiences that's the most fun to read. I felt like we were actually reading about their dates instead of him telling us (although he was doing the telling). I'll probably seek out the jdrama based on this book at some point. And while it's apparently based on a true story, I'm not sure I buy that, but I don't know that I care. It's a really great, sweet and fun book (funny, too). ( )
  callmecayce | Jan 7, 2013 |
A dispetto della quarta di copertina (che in realtà è riportata in seconda pagina, nello spirito delle edizioni ISBN) Train Man non è un romanzo, ma è sicuramente collettivo e tratta d'amore.
E' in realtà il report di una lunga discussione nata del 2004 su un forum giapponese. Un forum anonimo, fenomeno che non ho mai notato almeno qui in Italia, dove fa capolino un otaku (un nerd in termini occidentali, un timido e impacciato appassionato di manga) che chiede disperatamente numi per conquistare una ragazza che ha "salvato" da un molestatore in metropolitana e che ora vorrebbe reincontrare.
Così la comunità virtuale fa cerchio attorno all'individuo timido e po' sfigato e lo aiuta dai primi passi fino al coronamento del suo sogno, quando la misteriosa ragazza deciderà di fare coppia con lui.
Train Man non è tanto interessante per gli eventi presentati (anzi a volte l'unico sentimento suscitato è decisamente la pietà) quanto per la forma (del forum è ripresa la veste grafica e tutti gli emoticon degli utenti) e per ciò che rappresenta: uno specchio sulle comunità virtuali e su ciò che possono produrre. La critica perfetta a coloro che denunciano la rete come un luogo alienante in cui si celano perfidi pervertiti, la storia di Train Man e del sentimento comune che hanno portato centinaia di utenti a consigliare e aiutarlo ci ricorda non solo che la rete è fatta di persone, ma anche che in realtà è un potente strumento di comunicazione che può aiutare le persone e ad aprirsi verso il mondo. Alla faccia dell'alienazione. ( )
  Zeruhur | May 26, 2012 |
  Zeruhur | May 26, 2012 |
The fascination of this is the format. The underlying love story is sweet enough, but carrying the novel through as threads in an Internet chatroom is a real feat of authorship. Perhaps the narrative sags at times, but that must go with the medium. I also had a tendency to want, more than usual, to skip or skim-read sections to find the next 'meat' of the action. That is maybe also to do with the chosen structure, especially as the main male protagonist is, quite rightly, not always available at the keyboard. Another intriguing aspect of the approach is the take on the (sometimes comfortable) blanket of anonymity on the Internet: even if we exchange thoughts and book reviews on Facebook, we may not know each other. ( )
  Kanikoski | Jan 21, 2012 |

Hitori Nakanoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elliott, BonnieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plötzlich erscheint das hilfesuchende Posting eines Mannes.

An instant bestseller when it was first published in Japan, Train Man became a multimedia sensation, generating a smash-hit TV series, a blockbuster film, and multiple manga series. Now here’s the novel that started it all.

Boy–bashful and not overly brave–defends girl from obnoxious drunk on a Tokyo train. Girl sends boy a thank-you pair of pricey Hermés teacups. Boy’s a geek and doesn’t know what to do next. End of story for most nerds–but this one turns to the world’s largest online message board and asks for help, so for him it’s just the beginning. This matchless love story is told through a series of Internet chat room threads.

As Train Man, our hero charts his progress and unveils each new crisis–from making conversation to deciding what to wear on a date and beyond–in return, he receives advice, encouragement, warnings, and sympathy from the anonymous netizens. And Train Man discovers the secret to what makes the world go round–and proves we really do live in a universe where anything can happen.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:51 -0400)

One day a shy computer geek mentioned on the message forum how he had met a girl on a subway train. As things developed he continued to post updates to the message board. He gained the nickname 'Train Man'. Eventually he finds love with the girl, Hermes, and reveals to her the entire history of the thread.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,491,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible