Essex County 1: Tales from the Farm by Jeff…

Essex County 1: Tales from the Farm (edition 2007)

by Jeff Lemire

Member:Tiggerwell
Title:Essex County 1: Tales from the Farm
Authors:Jeff Lemire
Info:San Val (2007), Library Binding

Essex County, Volume 1: Tales from the Farm by Jeff Lemire

English (21)  Dutch (1)  All (22)
Fascinating and charming. I need to read (reading meaning both reading words and pictures) the Essex County volumes before a full review. ( )
  Connie-D | Sep 5, 2016 |
A great story about growing up in Canada and using your imagination to overcome fear, depression and loneliness. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | May 4, 2015 |
Divided into the four seasons, this tells a simple story of the first year of a ten year-old boy's life living with his bachelor Uncle Ken in rural Ontario after his mum dies of cancer. I wasn't too impressed with the first "chapter" but by the second had become engrossed in the simple, yet taught and tragic story. Life is often a melancholy affair with a series of events that may bring a slight spark to the daily hum-drum and that love is present but not always shown with feeling but rather with actions, these are themes. Because the main character is ten, the book may be mistaken for a children's book, but it is not. As I've said it is a melancholy subject, rather dark with only a spark of brightness. It also contains heavy language. I liked the story and I liked the characters. The drawing of Jimmy reminded me very much of the huge farmer in "Lost Dogs" and it is with him whom my emotions most lay. I'm not quite sure I understood the meaning of his departure? at the end though. Was that play or real? Hmmm ( )
  ElizaJane | Mar 6, 2014 |
Spectacular work, here. Lemire's sense if how ragged shadows form the lines is spot on. The story is quiet and heartbreaking and lovely. This book is HIGHLY recommended. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
Dedicated to Mom and Dad ... for never making me take my cape off.
Lester.

In ESSEX COUNTY (VOL 1): TALES FROM THE FARM, Lemire illustrates the tale of Lester, a recently orphaned 10-year-old who goes to live on his Uncle’s farm. Their relationship grows increasingly strained and Lester befriends the town’s hulking gas station owner, Jimmy Lebeuf. The two escape into a private fantasy world of Superheroes, Alien Invaders and good old-fashioned pond Hockey. TALES FROM THE FARM is the first volume in a trilogy of graphic novels set in a fictionalized version of Lemire’s hometown of Essex County, Ontario.

After moving to his uncle's farm, 10-year-old orphan Lester befriends the town's gas station owner, damaged former hockey star Jimmy Lebeuf, and the two escape to a fantasy world of super-heroes, alien invaders, and old-fashioned pond hockey.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,092,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible