Cry to Heaven by Anne Rice

Cry to Heaven (original 1982; edition 1991)

by Anne Rice

Member:clamairy
Title:Cry to Heaven
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:Ballantine Books (1991), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Collections:Your library, To read

Cry to Heaven by Anne Rice (1982)

English (35)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (37)
The descriptions take you away to a world that is actually your world, just very far away in time and place. The joy in castrati singing and for the fate, they could not avoid is passionately involving, between in lovers and cruelty, you always that everything gives you one last aria where you can feel his fulfillment in the stage. ( )
  neosofia | Jun 19, 2018 |
I love Anne Rice's historical novels best. Nary a ghost or a vampire to be found. Absolutely superb - her attention to detail takes you back to live in the 18th century - I learned a lot, even while enjoying the story, and, of course the deep emotion that I so love in her books.

One of her best - I highly recommend it.
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
Quite a different book than I'm used to reading, but for my first Anne Rice book, Tory picked out a good one for me. The content of the book is very mature and Anne Rice really doesn't hold back, which I appreciate. I learned a lot from this story and if I was maintaining some top 10 favorite books of all time, this if it didn't make that list would certainly be a close runner up. Want to read a tale of revenge, love, sorrow and life in old Italy as a singer? Here ya go. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
This is, without a doubt, the *best* book by Anne Rice. I think the fact that Rice is well acquainted with homosexuality gives her an edge on folk who might feel different growing up. Parts of this book are agonizing and others are ecstatic. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I've re-read this so many times the book is falling apart. Anne Rice is known for her paranormal series, but I loved this stand-alone, historical-fiction novel. Tonio struggles against impossible odds, wants things he can never have, and undergoes deeply moving psychological pain and emotional growth. Through his story, we get a fascinating exploration of the gender roles in 18th century Europe and the nature of masculinity. Also one of the best endings to any of the Anne Rice books I've read.

A hard sell to men, but I recommend it for anyone who enjoyed Rice's early work, and anyone who enjoys historical fiction (assuming you're aware of the usual sex/violence present in Rice's work). ( )
  Malora | Jan 18, 2016 |
This book is dedicated with love to Stan Rice and Victoria Wilson.
Guido Maffeo was castrated when he was six years old and sent to study with the finest singing masters in Naples.

In this mesmerizing novel, the acclaimed author of The Vampire Chronicles and Lives of the Mayfair Witches makes real for us the exquisite and otherworldly society of the eighteenth-century castrati, the delicate and alluring male sopranos whose graceful bodies and glorious voice brought them the adulation of the royal courts and grand opera houses of Europe, men who lived as idols, concealing their pain as they were adored as angels, yet shunned as half-men. As we are drawn into the dark and luminous story, as the crowds of Venetians, Neopolitans, and Romans, noblemen and peasants, musicians, prelates, princes, saints, and intriguers swirl around them, Anne RIce brings us into the sweep of eighteenth-century Italian life, into the decadence beneath the shimmering surface of Venice, the wild frivolity of Naples, and the magnetic terror of its shadow, Vesuvius. It is a novel that only Anne Rice could have written, taking us into a heartbreaking and enchanting moment in history, a time of great ambition and great suffering - a tale that challenges our deepest images of the masculine and the feminine. (0-345-39693-6)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345396936, Mass Market Paperback)

The acclaimed author of Servant of the Bones makes real for us the exquisite and otherworldly society of the eighteenth-century castrati, the delicate and alluring male sopranos whose graceful bodies and glorious voices brought them the adulation of the royal courts and grand opera houses of Europe, men who lived as idols, concealing their pain as they were adored as angels, yet shunned as half men.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:18 -0400)

Eighteenth-century Naples provides the setting for the pain, fears, resentments, desires, and triumphs of peasant-born Guido Maffeo and patrician-born Tonio Treschi, two castrati--mentor and angel-voiced student--who strive passionately to live full lives.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible