Strange Fruit by Lillian Smith

Strange Fruit (1944)

by Lillian Smith

195260,388 (3.93)13
Recently added byprivate library, agmlll, jasbro, Sitting_Room, MargaretArmour, diana.n, 39again, Marla66
Legacy LibrariesAstrid Lindgren, Ernest Hemingway

I was toatlly in harmony with the views expressed in this book. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 3, 2013 |
When marriage between races was uncommon, even illegal in some states, this book was a shocker for some. It is now a classic. 2012 ...I have recently reread this book and found it to be very different from what I had remembered. I was much younger when I read it and segregation was still the law many places. I remembered it as a frustrated rather idyllic romance between a beautiful black girl and a socially well placed white boy. Rereading it I discovered these characters were really not important and neither very romantic. In fact the story was about the town, the two parts oft the town and the effect of race on the entire community.Smith is very much in the company of southern women writers like Flannery O'Conner, ( )
  carterchristian1 | Apr 28, 2009 |
To Paula
She stood at the gate, waiting; behind her the swamp, in front of her Colored Town, beyond it, all Maxwell.

When it was first published in 1944, this novel sparked immediate controversy and became a huge bestseller. It captured with devastating accuracy the deep-seated racial conflicts of a tightly knit southern town. The book is as engrossing and incendiary now as the day it was written.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:38 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,286,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible